Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Halfshadow
What's DOS?
Views: 862
Message 1 of 14

Z3 signal worse than my old G4

I like everything about my Z3 with the exception of the cellphone signal strength.  It is weaker than the Moto g4 I upgraded from (both on Verizon's network), which I don't understand given the newer modem in the higher end CPU as well as my assumption a larger case width/height would mean larger internal antenna?

I have tried it with a leather wallet case, the Verizon bumper case which only goes around the edges, and without a case...restarting the phone between each switch and trying it in the same spot across multiple days.

Is there anything I can do to at least get back to what I used to see in the older lower tier phone?  I can't find any settings to help.  Is this a known issue with a firmware flash in the works to fix sometime soon?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 844
Message 2 of 14

Re: Z3 signal worse than my old G4

Hi Halfshadow,

Thanks for posting. I'm thinking some factors that can affect the signal strength. Can you please verify your location and environment? Also, are you only experiencing this in a specific location? Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Jleonsteiner
Paper Tape
Views: 678
Message 3 of 14

i am having this same issue and I have tried everything from both the Motorola side and Verizon side of troubleshooting so far.  Did you get any answers.  I only buy Motorola because they were well-know for their antenna strength.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 675
Message 4 of 14

Hi Jleonsteiner,

Thanks for posting. Can you show us sample screenshot of your signal strength (Settings > System > About Phone > Status > SIM Status > Signal Strength). Also, I'd like to confirm, what troubleshooting steps have you tried with Verizon so far? Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Jleonsteiner
Paper Tape
Views: 671
Message 5 of 14

I have restarted the phone. I have changed network setting to global, with no better result. I have changed it to CDMA with no better result, which I restarted each time. I also went into safe mode with no better result. I was in a location where reception isn't great for Verizon but with my Motoroal Turbo Force and my Moto Z Droid Force, I was able to get a bar or two of reception. With my new Z3, I had absolutely no reception and no 4G. I could only make a call on wifi. This is very disappointing to me. I also had my Google Pixel 3 from Verizo (work phone), which got 2 bars and 4G, while my Z3 was useless... This not what I expected from Motorola. I am hoping I just have a faulty phone.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 620
Message 6 of 14

Hi Jleonsteiner,

Thanks for screenshot. Are you only having this signal bar on a specific location? Have you tried moving into a another place/city and see if there's any improvement? Also, please describe the location and the type of environment. Have you tried testing another SIM card? Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Jleonsteiner
Paper Tape
Views: 609
Message 7 of 14

Yes, over the weekend I tried a new SIM card. This did not help at all. I did a phone swap, and this far it seems to be better, but not as good as I think it should be. This isn't what I expect out of a Motorola phone, so I hope I find soemtsome that is causing this. We'll see how it goes for a few days.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 583
Message 8 of 14

Hi Jleonsteiner,

Alright, just let us know your observation here on this post. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Jleonsteiner
Paper Tape
Views: 577
Message 9 of 14

It's better. I still am not really happy with the results, but it's definitely better than the last phone. My trip through IA next week, will tell the future story.

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 546
Message 10 of 14

@Jleonsteiner,

Thanks for the update. Can you please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Top Kudoed Authors