Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MattForumsMngr
Not applicable
Views: 298
Message 21 of 39

Re: Driving Mode on Moto Z4?

Hi.

This isn't the same thing exactly, but Google is launching a driving mode for Google Assistant this summer.

- Matt

UPDATE: Seems like it's working now. Say "Hey Google - let's drive."

NEW UPDATE: The command triggers something, but nothing is really working yet. If anyone sees progress on this, please post. Smiley Very Happy

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
sajokaz
Not applicable
Views: 293
Message 22 of 39

Thanks for the update Matt!  That might explain why Google has not fixed the Assistant - Read Messages bug since January.  I understand why Motorola does not want to keep including Moto Voice on new phones, since it's kind of duplicate functionality to Google Assistant.  But the decision to add Moto Voice - Talk To Me to the G series which never had it and remove it from the Z series which always had it is baffling.  Maybe in the future Motorola could just add "Talk To Me" back into the Moto app without all the other Moto Voice functionality?  Moto's Talk To Me functionality (which included more than just Driving Mode) is light years ahead of anything Google is doing and there is nothing anywhere close to compatible on the Play Store.  I know this forum is designed to be a user-to-user support forum, but I also know that Motorola listens to some of the requests & discussions here; hence the return of the headphone jack on the Z4.  Please consider bringing Talk To Me back in future Moto phones, we don't need the full Moto Voice functionality....just Talk To Me!  Thanks.

~Scott
sajokaz
Not applicable
Views: 291
Message 23 of 39

@MattForumsMngr wrote:

Hi.

This isn't the same thing exactly, but Google is launching a driving mode for Google Assistant this summer.

- Matt

NEW UPDATE: The command triggers something, but nothing is really working yet. If anyone sees progress on this, please post. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks Matt. 

EDIT:  It looks like right now it just opens a shortcut to Maps - Start Navigation, not the full Driving Mode dashboard as depicted in that link.  The good news is that if you say OK Google... Let's Drive and the Maps - Start Navigation screen opens, as long as you leave that screen open you can say OK Google...Read Messages and it actually works.  But if you close the Maps - Start Navigation screen and try to read messages it crashes again.  At leasts its a start and Google is trying to bring something similar to Moto - Talk To Me - Driving Mode to all Android phones.

~Scott
Jerost
Not applicable
Views: 283
Message 24 of 39

Yesterday, on a long drive, I used my Moto Z Play for hands-free texting. That's part of Moto Voice, right? Not once did I need to touch the phone. It announced there was a text, asked if I wanted to hear it, asked if I wanted to reply, repeated my reply to see if it got my words correctly and then sent it. Works very well. If this is Moto Voice and it will not be available on the Z4 (which I've been eagerly awaiting for its large battery, mods compatibility and unique Moto features), will there be a similar Google capability for handsfree texting and handsfree phone answering or are there other apps that can perform this handsfree function? I do not have Android Auto and have no intention of buying a new car just to get Android Auto. Please forgive me if my questions have been answered in previous posts and comments. I just wanted to be as clear as possible. Thanks!

Highlighted
sajokaz
Not applicable
Views: 275
Message 25 of 39

@Jerost wrote:

Yesterday, on a long drive, I used my Moto Z Play for hands-free texting. That's part of Moto Voice, right? Not once did I need to touch the phone. It announced there was a text, asked if I wanted to hear it, asked if I wanted to reply, repeated my reply to see if it got my words correctly and then sent it. Works very well. If this is Moto Voice and it will not be available on the Z4 (which I've been eagerly awaiting for its large battery, mods compatibility and unique Moto features), will there be a similar Google capability for handsfree texting and handsfree phone answering or are there other apps that can perform this handsfree function? I do not have Android Auto and have no intention of buying a new car just to get Android Auto. Please forgive me if my questions have been answered in previous posts and comments. I just wanted to be as clear as possible. Thanks!

Yes, that is part of Moto Voice - Talk To Me.  Talk To Me contains Driving Mode, which you described and can also be set to turn on anytime you are at a specified Location or headphones are connected.

The link Matt posted indicates that Google is working on a Driving Mode within Assistant sometime this Summer.  Currently Google Assistant is supposed to read your texts and let you respond by saying OK Google...Read Messages.  But the app instantly crashes and has been broken since January.  The good news is that if you say OK Google...let's drive it opens the Maps - Start Navigation screen.  As long as you leave that start Navigation screen open you can say OK Google...Read Messages and it actually works.  But if you close the Maps - Start Navigation screen and try to read messages it crashes again.  At leasts its a start and Google is trying to bring something similar to Moto - Talk To Me - Driving Mode to all Android phones.

As far as Android Auto....you don't need Android Auto in your vehicle, just a basic Bluetooth connection.  You set the AA app on your phone to launch when connected to that Bluetooth device and it will alert you to a new text.  The AA app can run on your phone and you don't have to have AA in your vehicle, as long as you are connected to some form of Bluetooth.  It's not totally "hands free" though, you have to tap the "Play" button > then it will read the new text > and ask if you wantg to reply.  And you have to keep AA open for it to read texts.  So it's kind of close, but still not true hands free and nowhere near as good as Moto Voice - Talk To Me - Driving Mode.

As far as apps that can do what Driving Mode does....no.  There are some on the Play Store that calim to, but don't have good reviews.  And if you read posts on other forums by fomer Moto owners about those Play Store apps, they say they don't really work and they wished they still had their Moto phone.

~Scott
MattForumsMngr
Not applicable
Views: 241
Message 26 of 39

@sajokaz wrote:

@MattForumsMngr wrote:

Hi.

- Matt

Thanks Matt. 

EDIT:  It looks like right now it just opens a shortcut to Maps - Start Navigation, not the full Driving Mode dashboard as depicted in that link.  The good news is that if you say OK Google... Let's Drive and the Maps - Start Navigation screen opens, as long as you leave that screen open you can say OK Google...Read Messages and it actually works.  But if you close the Maps - Start Navigation screen and try to read messages it crashes again.  At leasts its a start and Google is trying to bring something similar to Moto - Talk To Me - Driving Mode to all Android phones.

Yeah, apparently this command ("Let's Drive") has worked for ages but all it does is open Maps. Google appears to be preparing to expand its capabilities. Here's hoping.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Jerost
Not applicable
Views: 239
Message 27 of 39

Thanks, sajokaz. Very helpful! Google, with all its expertise, ought to be able to make this work. Soon we hope!
sajokaz
Not applicable
Views: 238
Message 28 of 39

@Jerost wrote:
Thanks, sajokaz. Very helpful! Google, with all its expertise, ought to be able to make this work. Soon we hope!

Let's hope so.  But it still won't be as good as Moto's Talk To Me.  Google's version currently doesn't automatically ask if you want to hear the new text, you have to ask it to read your messages.  Let's hope they expand the functionality throughout the Summer.

~Scott
sajokaz
Not applicable
Views: 170
Message 29 of 39

Please consider bringing Talk To Me back in future Moto phones, we don't need the full Moto Voice functionality....just Talk To Me!  I know this forum is designed to be a user-to-user support forum, but I also know that Motorola listens to some of the requests & discussions here; hence the return of the headphone jack on the some new phones.  I understand why Motorola does not want to keep including Moto Voice on new phones, since it's kind of duplicate functionality to Google Assistant.  Maybe in the future Motorola could just add "Talk To Me" back into the Moto app without all the other Moto Voice functionality?  Moto's Talk To Me functionality (which included more than just Driving Mode) is light years ahead of anything Google is doing and there is nothing anywhere close to compatible on the Play Store.  Android Auto is not a suitable "hands free" replacement for Talk To Me and Assistant - Read Messages has not worked for months, and even when it did it was nowhere near as good as Talk To Me.  Thanks.

~Scott
MattForumsMngr
Not applicable
Views: 165
Message 30 of 39

@sajokaz wrote:

Please consider bringing Talk To Me back in future Moto phones, we don't need the full Moto Voice functionality....just Talk To Me!  I know this forum is designed to be a user-to-user support forum, but I also know that Motorola listens to some of the requests & discussions here; hence the return of the headphone jack on the some new phones.  I understand why Motorola does not want to keep including Moto Voice on new phones, since it's kind of duplicate functionality to Google Assistant.  Maybe in the future Motorola could just add "Talk To Me" back into the Moto app without all the other Moto Voice functionality?  Moto's Talk To Me functionality (which included more than just Driving Mode) is light years ahead of anything Google is doing and there is nothing anywhere close to compatible on the Play Store.  Android Auto is not a suitable "hands free" replacement for Talk To Me and Assistant - Read Messages has not worked for months, and even when it did it was nowhere near as good as Talk To Me.  Thanks.

Happy to pass your feedback along. You are not alone in missing the feature.

- Matt

Top Kudoed Authors