US

2367 Signins

58482 Page Views

• Views: 58482
  • Message 21 of 60

Re: Fingerprint reader not working

2019-06-18, 13:27 PM

wrote:

Can anyone from moto post proof that registering feedback and giving moto their special extra datamining backdoor does anything, benefits anyone who doesn't work for Motorola on this board or anywhere else?

Follow up rhethorical question: End users have been given deadlines we took in earnest about when v9 was coming down the pipe.  The deadline has come and gone, maybe more than once, and motorola is silent other than "out of warranty one day?  go away".    Or another parrot asks for serials and backdoor.

$50 says I pass away before anyone from motorola gives an answer, apologies for ripping us off with defective hardware and refusing any ota after purchase, or pays legal consequence for unfair business practice.

Hi.

There is a lot of negativity here and I'm not sure why. Do you have a specific issue, relevant to this thread, that you want to raise? If so, what is it? If not, please don't hijack threads. 

We want to hear the bad as well as the good, but let's be specific about issue. Please follow all site rules if you want to participate.

Thanks.

- Matt (Forums Manager)

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

19258 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2367 Signins

58482 Page Views

• Message 22 of 60

2019-06-18, 13:29 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:
Thought about this but it doesn't explain why it works within apps but not the lock screen.

Hi.

We would like to take a closer look at this issue. Sounds like a very specific problem - FPS works on apps but not to unlock? That's very odd.

If you don't mind, please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Thanks,

- Matt

Hi Matt,

I updated my info.  Is Settings > Motorola Privacy  on my phone or on my web profile?

Since i was having the behavior with the fps working in apps but not on lock screen i started to look for things that would cause the fps to note wake properly.  I toggled off the adaptive battery settting and so far it seems like that has enabled me to authenticate from the lock screen again. Kind of scary that a feature designed to save battery would render the fps useless.

Hi Matt,

It definitely seems like like some sort of software issue, any idea on the app that is the possible culprit something else? I have the privacy settings as reccomended so you can take a look.

Anybody else having such a hard time?

Just to recap i have done some troubleshooting:

The screen is clean, no protector. My finger isn't overly dry, damaged, oily, dirty, etc.

1)I tried deleting and re-registering fingerprints

2) I booted in safe mode and fps seemed to work no problem, but i tried this again today and the fps is not longer working.

Other oddities: 

For a while yesterday the fps worked within apps but not the lock screen.

I tried toggling off adaptive battery setting, i seemed to regain functionality temporarily. 

I haven't installed any new apps from the time I activated it.

Thanks very much for these details.

The engineers have not asked for this yet, but if you don't mind, let's get a bug report. (Honest, it's not as difficult as it looks...)

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode.
2. After the above steps Developer options will be enabled and will show in your Settings menu.
3. Go to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings > Developer options > Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings > Developer options > Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
6. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
7. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport via an email to supportforums@motorola.com, and include a note referring to this post so we know what it refers to.
8. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

Thanks again.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

57 Posts

06-05-2019

US

89 Signins

1402 Page Views

• Views: 1402
  • Message 23 of 60

2019-06-18, 13:45 PM
I can second that I have experienced the same things - same behavior with and without screen protector, and that killing the adaptive battery setting helped dramatically for a while, but stopped after a bit.

I'm more than happy to assist with troubleshooting.

Jamie
Options

19 Posts

06-17-2019

US

28 Signins

272 Page Views

• Views: 272
  • Message 24 of 60

2019-06-18, 14:47 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:
Thought about this but it doesn't explain why it works within apps but not the lock screen.

Hi.

We would like to take a closer look at this issue. Sounds like a very specific problem - FPS works on apps but not to unlock? That's very odd.

If you don't mind, please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Thanks,

- Matt

Hi Matt,

I updated my info.  Is Settings > Motorola Privacy  on my phone or on my web profile?

Since i was having the behavior with the fps working in apps but not on lock screen i started to look for things that would cause the fps to note wake properly.  I toggled off the adaptive battery settting and so far it seems like that has enabled me to authenticate from the lock screen again. Kind of scary that a feature designed to save battery would render the fps useless.

Hi Matt,

It definitely seems like like some sort of software issue, any idea on the app that is the possible culprit something else? I have the privacy settings as reccomended so you can take a look.

Anybody else having such a hard time?

Just to recap i have done some troubleshooting:

The screen is clean, no protector. My finger isn't overly dry, damaged, oily, dirty, etc.

1)I tried deleting and re-registering fingerprints

2) I booted in safe mode and fps seemed to work no problem, but i tried this again today and the fps is not longer working.

Other oddities: 

For a while yesterday the fps worked within apps but not the lock screen.

I tried toggling off adaptive battery setting, i seemed to regain functionality temporarily. 

I haven't installed any new apps from the time I activated it.

Thanks very much for these details.

The engineers have not asked for this yet, but if you don't mind, let's get a bug report. (Honest, it's not as difficult as it looks...)

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode.
2. After the above steps Developer options will be enabled and will show in your Settings menu.
5. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings > Developer options > Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
6. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
7. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport via an email to supportforums@motorola.com, and include a note referring to this post so we know what it refers to.
8. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

Thanks again.

- Matt

Alright Matt, I followed the bug report procedure and sent to the indicated email.

Options

19 Posts

06-17-2019

US

28 Signins

272 Page Views

• Views: 272
  • Message 25 of 60

2019-06-19, 12:45 PM

Haven't heard anything more from support, but adding new behavior.

The fingerprint reader has completely vanished from security settings. Doesn't matter if I am in safe mode or normal. 

It makes me wonder if the fps had hardware failure?  I'm kind of at a loss. Maybe I should return it?

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2718 Signins

25605 Page Views

• Views: 25605
  • Message 26 of 60

2019-06-19, 13:36 PM

wrote:

Haven't heard anything more from support, but adding new behavior.

The fingerprint reader has completely vanished from security settings. Doesn't matter if I am in safe mode or normal. 

It makes me wonder if the fps had hardware failure?  I'm kind of at a loss. Maybe I should return it?

You might want to consider a warranty replacement, while it is in warranty.  

~Scott
Options

19258 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2367 Signins

58482 Page Views

• Message 27 of 60

2019-06-19, 19:18 PM

wrote:
I can second that I have experienced the same things - same behavior with and without screen protector, and that killing the adaptive battery setting helped dramatically for a while, but stopped after a bit.

I'm more than happy to assist with troubleshooting.

Jamie

Hi.

We welcome all help! Thanks. Can you follow the same procedures we asked of Mike?

• Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

• Generate and send a bug report after the "bad behavior" is experienced. 
    1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
    7. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport via an email to supportforums@motorola.com, and include a note referring to this post so we know what it refers to.

Many thanks.

- Matt

Options

22 Posts

11-09-2014

US

31 Signins

482 Page Views

• Views: 482
  • Message 28 of 60

2019-06-21, 3:35 AM

There is alot of negativity because the in-screen fingerprint sensor does not work as intended. Coming from the Z2 Force sensor, the Z4's is dog crap and causes more frustration than anything and this type of new half baked tech should have never been put in this phone. 

Options

19258 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2367 Signins

58482 Page Views

• Message 29 of 60

2019-06-21, 13:32 PM

wrote:

There is alot of negativity because the in-screen fingerprint sensor does not work as intended. Coming from the Z2 Force sensor, the Z4's is dog crap and causes more frustration than anything and this type of new half baked tech should have never been put in this phone. 

Not sure that's the case for the forum member I was responding to before, but let's talk about your situation. What issues are you having with your FPS?

I should say that I have been using this phone as my daily driver for weeks and the FPS works fine for me. Not saying everyone is having the same experience; just want to demonstrate that I'm familiar with the phone.

- Matt

Options

22 Posts

11-09-2014

US

31 Signins

482 Page Views

• Views: 482
  • Message 30 of 60

2019-06-23, 8:37 AM

So at first it is frustrating, and it's not as smooth as z2 force, but I added 3 to 4 fingerprints for each thumb, and now I can't miss. The real issue I'm having is my long press duration for q, p, and delete take way longer than any other key, and with gpu test in dev options I see it spike when I use those keys. This happens on both G board and SwiftKey for me. I want to say it's processor / memory related, or maybe I got a faulty device. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete