US

2718 Signins

25605 Page Views

• Views: 25605
  • Message 31 of 60

Re: Fingerprint reader not working

2019-06-23, 12:56 PM

wrote:

So at first it is frustrating, and it's not as smooth as z2 force, but I added 3 to 4 fingerprints for each thumb, and now I can't miss. The real issue I'm having is my long press duration for q, p, and delete take way longer than any other key, and with gpu test in dev options I see it spike when I use those keys. This happens on both G board and SwiftKey for me. I want to say it's processor / memory related, or maybe I got a faulty device. 

This is only a suggestion, but you might want to create a new thread for the keyboard issue.  Otherwise it's just going to get lost in the shuffle mixed in the fingerprint reader thread, and clutter up this thread about fingerprints.  Sorry to hear you are having an issue with the keyboard long press, haven't really noticed that myself (but don't long press keys very often); hopefully someone would have some good advice & suggestions if that was it's own seperate thread.

~Scott
Options

22 Posts

11-09-2014

US

31 Signins

482 Page Views

• Views: 482
  • Message 32 of 60

2019-06-23, 18:25 PM

Thanks Scott. Will do. 

Options

19211 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2358 Signins

58187 Page Views

• Views: 58187
  • Message 33 of 60

2019-06-24, 14:18 PM

wrote:

wrote:

So at first it is frustrating, and it's not as smooth as z2 force, but I added 3 to 4 fingerprints for each thumb, and now I can't miss. The real issue I'm having is my long press duration for q, p, and delete take way longer than any other key, and with gpu test in dev options I see it spike when I use those keys. This happens on both G board and SwiftKey for me. I want to say it's processor / memory related, or maybe I got a faulty device. 

This is only a suggestion, but you might want to create a new thread for the keyboard issue.  Otherwise it's just going to get lost in the shuffle mixed in the fingerprint reader thread, and clutter up this thread about fingerprints.  Sorry to hear you are having an issue with the keyboard long press, haven't really noticed that myself (but don't long press keys very often); hopefully someone would have some good advice & suggestions if that was it's own seperate thread.

Excellent advice and I see the other post. I'll take a look.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

19 Posts

06-17-2019

US

28 Signins

272 Page Views

• Views: 272
  • Message 34 of 60

2019-06-26, 11:45 AM

I just wanted to let everyone know I was sent a new replacement phone and the fps works flawlessly.

Options

119 Posts

07-20-2019

US

362 Signins

2888 Page Views

• Views: 2888
  • Message 35 of 60

2019-07-22, 12:41 PM

wrote:

Haven't heard anything more from support, but adding new behavior.

The fingerprint reader has completely vanished from security settings. Doesn't matter if I am in safe mode or normal. 

It makes me wonder if the fps had hardware failure?  I'm kind of at a loss. Maybe I should return it?

This has happened to me once.  I've had my moto z4 like 3 days, yesterday morning the fingerprint scan went MIA and when I went to the settings it wasn't there.  In my case, resetting the phone brought it back up.

Some of the posts here make me suspect "battery optimization".  (settings->apps->advanced->special app access->battery optimization->show all) as this android feature causes many failures and the "adaptive" nature of it makes it unpredictable (adaptive battery on or not). However, it's not clear which of the system services is related to the FPS.

Options

119 Posts

07-20-2019

US

362 Signins

2888 Page Views

• Message 36 of 60

2019-07-30, 16:34 PM

My fingerprint reader just vanished again.  It doesn't appear on the lockscreen, or in settings.  No apparent reason.  It was working, then it was gone.

This happened to me once already, resetting the phone brought it back (after unlocking with PIN because obnoxiously I have to do that after reset even when it's working).

wrote:

wrote:

The fingerprint reader has completely vanished from security settings. Doesn't matter if I am in safe mode or normal. 

It makes me wonder if the fps had hardware failure?  I'm kind of at a loss. Maybe I should return it?

This has happened to me once.  I've had my moto z4 like 3 days, yesterday morning the fingerprint scan went MIA and when I went to the settings it wasn't there.  In my case, resetting the phone brought it back up.

Some of the posts here make me suspect "battery optimization".  (settings->apps->advanced->special app access->battery optimization->show all) as this android feature causes many failures and the "adaptive" nature of it makes it unpredictable (adaptive battery on or not). However, it's not clear which of the system services is related to the FPS.

Options

19211 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2358 Signins

58187 Page Views

• Views: 58187
  • Message 37 of 60

2019-07-31, 14:26 PM

wrote:

My fingerprint reader just vanished again.  It doesn't appear on the lockscreen, or in settings.  No apparent reason.  It was working, then it was gone.

This happened to me once already, resetting the phone brought it back (after unlocking with PIN because obnoxiously I have to do that after reset even when it's working).

wrote:

wrote:

Hmmm. This is odd.

Would you mind updating your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

I may also ask if you can provide a bug report if this happens again. Would you be willing?

Thanks and sorry.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

119 Posts

07-20-2019

US

362 Signins

2888 Page Views

• Message 38 of 60

2019-07-31, 15:32 PM
It asks for phone type, which is a Moto Z⁴
That's clear enough. But then it asks for carrier, which is less clear because I have an Unlocked Z⁴ but my current carrier, Verizon, has a different version of the Moto Z⁴.
Options

119 Posts

07-20-2019

US

362 Signins

2888 Page Views

• Message 39 of 60

2019-07-31, 15:37 PM
I had to reset the phone twice this time before the fingerprint reader appeared on the lockscreen or settings. It's back to normal again. I just thought I'd toss in the "me too" because I read the other post(s) in this thread about the same thing.
Options

119 Posts

07-20-2019

US

362 Signins

2888 Page Views

• Message 40 of 60

2019-07-31, 16:48 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Hmmm. This is odd.

Would you mind updating your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

I may also ask if you can provide a bug report if this happens again. Would you be willing?

Thanks and sorry.

- Matt

OK, I think I'm updated. It took some hunting around the website to get to the feedback network registration, had to instruct chrome browser on my Moto Z⁴ to "load desktop site" and it still took some prodding. Good thing I went back and checked my registered products later, because the phone still wasn't "Opted in" even after all that. Let me know if there's anything I missed:

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete