11-09-2014

US

31 Signins

482 Page Views

• Views: 482
  • Message 41 of 60

Re: Fingerprint reader not working

2019-07-31, 19:54 PM

Too many issues with FPS and a ton of other quirks that I cannot accept as a daily phone. I returned Z4 three days after I got it, Vzw waived the restocking fee, I'm using my Z2 FORCE, and I never looked back. Z4 phone was a waste of my time. 

Options

18453 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2331 Signins

57237 Page Views

• Views: 57237
  • Message 42 of 60

2019-08-01, 15:33 PM

wrote:

Too many issues with FPS and a ton of other quirks that I cannot accept as a daily phone. I returned Z4 three days after I got it, Vzw waived the restocking fee, I'm using my Z2 FORCE, and I never looked back. Z4 phone was a waste of my time. 

Sorry you had a bad experience. Most of the FPS issues reported have been solved by re-registering the prints, and we are deploying some improvements to help make sure the registrations are good the first time. But even if the prints are not well-registered, the Z4 reader learns as you use it and after a few days any issues with registrations start to smooth out. It's been my daily driver for weeks and at this point I see no difference in the response from the Z4 FPS and those on previous phones.

Best of luck to you with your Force -- great phone.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

18453 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2331 Signins

57237 Page Views

• Views: 57237
  • Message 43 of 60

2019-08-01, 15:46 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

My fingerprint reader just vanished again.  It doesn't appear on the lockscreen, or in settings.  No apparent reason.  It was working, then it was gone.

This happened to me once already, resetting the phone brought it back (after unlocking with PIN because obnoxiously I have to do that after reset even when it's working).

wrote:

wrote:

Haven't heard anything more from support, but adding new behavior.

The fingerprint reader has completely vanished from security settings. Doesn't matter if I am in safe mode or normal. 

It makes me wonder if the fps had hardware failure?  I'm kind of at a loss. Maybe I should return it?

This has happened to me once.  I've had my moto z4 like 3 days, yesterday morning the fingerprint scan went MIA and when I went to the settings it wasn't there.  In my case, resetting the phone brought it back up.

Some of the posts here make me suspect "battery optimization".  (settings->apps->advanced->special app access->battery optimization->show all) as this android feature causes many failures and the "adaptive" nature of it makes it unpredictable (adaptive battery on or not). However, it's not clear which of the system services is related to the FPS.

Hmmm. This is odd.

Would you mind updating your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

I may also ask if you can provide a bug report if this happens again. Would you be willing?

Thanks and sorry.

- Matt

OK, I think I'm updated. It took some hunting around the website to get to the feedback network registration, had to instruct chrome browser on my Moto Z⁴ to "load desktop site" and it still took some prodding. Good thing I went back and checked my registered products later, because the phone still wasn't "Opted in" even after all that. Let me know if there's anything I missed:

Thanks. Check your PMs -- I'm sending you a note.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

1 Posts

09-15-2019

US

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 44 of 60

2019-09-15, 3:55 AM

Me too. I have been having issue with finger print sensor since the first day of opening the box. At first, I thought I don't know how to use on screen finger print. Then, I found out that it is defective finger print sensor. I have contacted the support, and have tried trouble shooting steps together except completely resetting the phone. He told me that the new system update could work. So, I waited. I have updated last week, and still not working.

Options

1 Posts

06-21-2020

US

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 45 of 60

Re:Fingerprint reader not working

2020-06-21, 0:33 AM
My Moto Z4, brand new, will not register any print from any finger. Never had a single problem with the X4, but this one refused to cooperate. It'll start, then constantly say that the screen is dirty or simply won't do anything. Sucks to have too keep entering passwords on apps. Send an update.
Options

84 Posts

10-15-2017

US

367 Signins

1558 Page Views

• Views: 1558
  • Message 46 of 60

2020-06-21, 0:44 AM

I have a new Z4.  I found that I was trying to move my thumb around too much thinking that  would get a more reliable fingerprint but it kept erroring out.  Then I used minimal movement and got my thumbprint registered and now logging in with my thumbprint is very reliable.

Options

2529 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

352 Signins

23770 Page Views

• Views: 23770
  • Message 47 of 60

2020-06-23, 7:14 AM

@ BDS4 wrote:

My Moto Z4, brand new, will not register any print from any finger. Never had a single problem with the X4, but this one refused to cooperate. It'll start, then constantly say that the screen is dirty or simply won't do anything. Sucks to have too keep entering passwords on apps. Send an update.

Hi,

Sorry to know about and thanks for reporting! Have you tried to restart the device and put the fingerprints? 

Please confirm this, are you not able to register the fingerprints at all or it is not working only when you are trying to unlock the device? 

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

106 Posts

07-20-2019

US

362 Signins

2888 Page Views

• Views: 2888
  • Message 48 of 60

2020-06-23, 12:15 PM
Personally, I quit using device lock at all due to intermittent fingerprint scanner issues. The FPS worked most of the time, but that wasn't good enough. Occasionally it would refuse to recognize any finger even though it recognized them most of the time,.and it would disable due to too many retries. And sometimes, the FPS would simply vanish. It would always vanish after a reset or power cycle of the phone, and other times just vanish for no apparent reason. Then, with the FPS gone for whatever reason I have to put in a pin # or password which is just too much trouble for me. So I disabled lock screen completely due to intermittent FPS failure.
Options

2 Posts

07-07-2020

US

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 49 of 60

2020-07-07, 15:01 PM
Ever since updating, I am unable to even register a fingerprint. It will get about halfway through scanning a finger. I'm then met with a message saying "can't enroll finger try a different one". Gone through all my fingers and it won't work.
Options

2546 Posts

02-11-2016

US

2986 Signins

55961 Page Views

• Views: 55961
  • Message 50 of 60

2020-07-07, 17:35 PM

@ Raptor5655 wrote:

Ever since updating, I am unable to even register a fingerprint. It will get about halfway through scanning a finger. I'm then met with a message saying "can't enroll finger try a different one". Gone through all my fingers and it won't work.

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. Have you tried removing all registered fingerprints and then registering again? Do you have a screen protector on the phone? If so you can try removing that as well to see if it works better. Let me know.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete