07-07-2020

US

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 51 of 60

Re:Fingerprint reader not working

2020-07-07, 18:22 PM
I did a factory reset on the phone, no screen protector on it. It won't let me attempt to register.
Options

119 Posts

07-20-2019

US

362 Signins

2888 Page Views

• Views: 2888
  • Message 52 of 60

Re:Fingerprint reader disappears

2020-07-07, 20:50 PM

@ Byzz wrote:

Personally, I quit using device lock at all due to intermittent fingerprint scanner issues.The FPS worked most of the time, but that wasn't good enough.Occasionally it would refuse to recognize any finger even though it recognized them most of the time,.and it would disable due to too many retries.And sometimes, the FPS would simply vanish. It would always vanish after a reset or power cycle of the phone, and other times just vanish for no apparent reason.Then, with the FPS gone for whatever reason I have to put in a pin # or password which is just too much trouble for me.So I disabled lock screen completely due to intermittent FPS failure.

Well, several days ago I thought I'd give it another try.  I enabled lock screen with the Fingerprint Scanner.  Registered three fingers no problem, no problem recognizing them to unlock the phone.  Then yesterday... just a day or two after enabling it... I turned the screen off and then back on maybe 15 minutes later...

NO FINGERPRINT SCANNER.   It was simply missing.  So I had to punch in a PIN #.

In disgust, I disabled screen lock again. 

Options

2798 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

373 Signins

26030 Page Views

• Views: 26030
  • Message 53 of 60

2020-07-09, 8:40 AM

@ Raptor5655 wrote:

I did a factory reset on the phone, no screen protector on it. It won't let me attempt to register.

Hi,

Sorry to know about this. It looks like there is an issue with the hardware, my best advice in this situation is that you submit your device for a repair.

@Byzz I would like to know if the Fingerprint scanner showed after you put the PIN? Or is it still missing? Kindly let me know.

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

119 Posts

07-20-2019

US

362 Signins

2888 Page Views

• Message 54 of 60

2020-07-09, 8:50 AM

@ Agent_Suman wrote:

@ Raptor5655 wrote:

Hi,

Sorry to know about this. It looks like there is an issue with the hardware, my best advice in this situation is that you submit your device for a repair.

@Byzz I would like to know if the Fingerprint scanner showed after you put the PIN? Or is it still missing? Kindly let me know.

Regards,

Suman

If I put in the PIN or password or whatever, then lock the phone again the FPS usually reappears. Ocassionally it fails to appear a couple times in a row, rarely it won't reapper until after a reset.

But if I have to occasionally and quite randomly put in a PIN or password it defeats the entire purpose of the FPS to me.   My Moto E5 play with a rear FPS never has this issue, but the Z4 FPS simply disappears at random and inconvenient times with regularity requiring alternate log-in.

Options

2798 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

373 Signins

26030 Page Views

• Message 55 of 60

2020-07-10, 11:28 AM

@ Byzz wrote:

@ Agent_Suman wrote:

@ Raptor5655 wrote:

Hi,

Regards,

Suman

If I put in the PIN or password or whatever, then lock the phone again the FPS usually reappears. Ocassionally it fails to appear a couple times in a row, rarely it won't reapper until after a reset.

But if I have to occasionally and quite randomly put in a PIN or password it defeats the entire purpose of the FPS to me.   My Moto E5 play with a rear FPS never has this issue, but the Z4 FPS simply disappears at random and inconvenient times with regularity requiring alternate log-in.

It does look like there might be an issue with the hardware. Usually, when you restart the device and log in the device, you have to put the PIN mandatorily. Or in case the wrong fingerprint is used several times, you have to enter the PIN. 

Also, I see on a different topic that you are facing Screen burn on the display. Submitting your device for repair would be the next option. 

Regards,

Suman

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

119 Posts

07-20-2019

US

362 Signins

2888 Page Views

• Message 56 of 60

2020-07-10, 13:04 PM

@ Agent_Suman wrote:

@ Byzz wrote:

@ Agent_Suman wrote:

@ wrote:

Hi,

Regards,

Suman

It does look like there might be an issue with the hardware. Usually, when you restart the device and log in the device, you have to put the PIN mandatorily. Or in case the wrong fingerprint is used several times, you have to enter the PIN. 

Also, I see on a different topic that you are facing Screen burn on the display. Submitting your device for repair would be the next option. 

Regards,

Suman

Is there any reason for the Z4 to perform a reset on its own while unattended?  I have observed a few times when I went to get my phone after it was left idle and unattended and it was in the process of restarting when I returned.  One time this happened, the phone was inexplicably hot and the battery had been drained.  

Options

2798 Posts

04-04-2018

IN

373 Signins

26030 Page Views

• Message 57 of 60

2020-07-13, 10:06 AM

@ Byzz wrote:

@ Agent_Suman wrote:

@ Byzz wrote:

@ Agent_Suman wrote:

@ wrote:

Hi,

Regards,

Suman

Regards,

Suman

Is there any reason for the Z4 to perform a reset on its own while unattended?  I have observed a few times when I went to get my phone after it was left idle and unattended and it was in the process of restarting when I returned.  One time this happened, the phone was inexplicably hot and the battery had been drained.  

This is unusual and should not happen. Please submit your device for repair. Our engineers will assist you further.

Regards,

Suman

Options

119 Posts

07-20-2019

US

362 Signins

2888 Page Views

• Message 58 of 60

2020-07-21, 7:49 AM

@ Agent_Suman wrote:

Regards,

Suman

This is unusual and should not happen. Please submit your device for repair. Our engineers will assist you further.

Regards,

Suman

So, this is a hardware issue and should not occur? Replacing the phone will prevent unauthorized access through the "Motorola System Update" application?

I've done everything I could find to prohibit automatic updates, but apparently updates wait until I'm away from console, or asleep, and try to sneak by unnoticed.  I caught this one in the act tonight.

Don't these cause the phone to reset?  Why be so sneaky and evasive about the subject?  Or is this like when I didn't know how to lock the ficus in the camera app and was asked here to have the phone replaced- and the new phone had the exact same issue because the issue was that the focus lock was a hidden feature in the software?

Options

130 Posts

01-23-2020

US

53 Signins

680 Page Views

• Views: 680
  • Message 59 of 60

2020-08-08, 18:38 PM

The July Update is now available on both Verizon & Retail Channels. After installing it my Finger Print Reader works almost 100% of the time.

Motorola Moto Z4, Motorola Edge, & Lenovo Legion Y740.
Options

130 Posts

01-23-2020

US

53 Signins

680 Page Views

• Views: 680
  • Message 60 of 60

2020-08-08, 18:41 PM

It also works better if You use the Factory Default Wall Paper.

Motorola Moto Z4, Motorola Edge, & Lenovo Legion Y740.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete