08-11-2010

US

455 Signins

8160 Page Views

• Views: 8160
  • Message 1 of 4

Moto Z Phones - Mod Capable Future???

2020-02-19, 16:22 PM

So, I'm still running my original Z Force Droid that was sent as a replacement to my Turbo 2.  Imho, this Z Force has been a great phone, still is, and I see no real need to upgrade other than Android 8.0 and no security updates since 11/2018.

I have accumulated a number of Mods that I like alot. Even just bought another Incipio Offgrid Wireless Power Pack as my current one is starting to fade.

That all said, I'm wondering if there is any official word on the future of the Z series?  We all know that the Z4 is the only remaining phone in the line, and I definitely want to time my next upgrade to ensure that the next phone still works with my stuff.  Do we have any confirmation of a Z5?  Or better yet, a flagship Z5 Force?  I know they originally claimed they would maintain the Mod Capable line for only a few years, but has the EOL been determined? Just trying to figure out if I need to get the Z4 soon, or if a Z5 has been confirmed as in the works.  Open to PM's as well.

TIA.

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2718 Signins

25605 Page Views

• Views: 25605
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Moto Z Phones - Mod Capable Future???

2020-02-19, 19:05 PM

wrote:

So, I'm still running my original Z Force Droid that was sent as a replacement to my Turbo 2.  Imho, this Z Force has been a great phone, still is, and I see no real need to upgrade other than Android 8.0 and no security updates since 11/2018.

I have accumulated a number of Mods that I like alot. Even just bought another Incipio Offgrid Wireless Power Pack as my current one is starting to fade.

That all said, I'm wondering if there is any official word on the future of the Z series?  We all know that the Z4 is the only remaining phone in the line, and I definitely want to time my next upgrade to ensure that the next phone still works with my stuff.  Do we have any confirmation of a Z5?  Or better yet, a flagship Z5 Force?  I know they originally claimed they would maintain the Mod Capable line for only a few years, but has the EOL been determined? Just trying to figure out if I need to get the Z4 soon, or if a Z5 has been confirmed as in the works.  Open to PM's as well.

TIA.

No, nothing official.  Keep in mind that Moto said that they would make 3 years of Moto Z phones with Moto Mod support....then made a Moto Z4 in the 4th year.  So.....will there be a Z5?  I seriously doubt it.  I think the Z line is over, there have been no new Moto Mods for years and there are very few left to buy.

~Scott
Options

176 Posts

08-11-2010

US

455 Signins

8160 Page Views

• Views: 8160
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-02-19, 20:13 PM

Well, that's kind of what I thought, but I seem to recall at least 4 years. But obviously, things change.  Naturally, if they are planning to go another year, the insiders would know about it, and you would think there would be no harm in letting that float out there.

BTW - You can find Mods around if you look. I just picked up a new Incipio Offgrid Wireless Powerpak as the old one is starting to slide. These things are worth their weight in gold, Imho. 

Options

108 Posts

06-19-2019

US

174 Signins

1172 Page Views

• Views: 1172
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-02-21, 5:17 AM

I have heard some rumors online about a possible Moto z5 with 5000Ah battery.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete