Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z4
All Forum Topics
Options

101 Posts

05-26-2010

United States of America

175 Signins

2095 Page Views

• Views: 2095
  • Message 1 of 5

No "Clear Cache Partition" in Recovery Mode on Z4

2021-06-21, 14:56 PM

I have QDFS30.130.42-5-10-12 in my Z4 and after having fingerprint scanner problems since the last update I figured I would boot to recovery mode and clear the system cache, but that option is no longer there.  I am NOT up to "Wipe data/Factory reset".  What's happened to this capability?

Answer
Options

1992 Posts

11-24-2020

India

210 Signins

22055 Page Views

• Views: 22055

Re:No "Clear Cache Partition" in Recovery Mode on Z4

2021-06-22, 7:48 AM

@ cwnascar3 wrote:

I have QDFS30.130.42-5-10-12 in my Z4 and after having fingerprint scanner problems since the last update I figured I would boot to recovery mode and clear the system cache, but that option is no longer there.  I am NOT up to "Wipe data/Factory reset".  What' happened to this capability?

Hi, 

Thanks for writing to us. Regarding the Fingerprint concern, I have responded here.

The option to clear the system cache in recovery mode speters is correct. Your phone no longer has the option to clear the system cache partition because it uses the new Seamless (A:B) update process. The OS no longer caches system updates. This is why there is no clear cache partition in the Recovery menu.

Starting with Android 8.0 (oreo) the option to clear all app cache from the storage options was removed. There are still two ways you can clear the app cache. You can go to each app individually and clear cache on an app-by-app basis, or you can use the clean section of Google Files (AKA Filed Go) to clean junk files. I hope this helps! 

Thanks

Sunitha

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Replies(4)
Options

216 Posts

03-20-2017

United States of America

619 Signins

9944 Page Views

• Views: 9944
  • Message 2 of 5

2021-06-21, 17:16 PM

That feature was removed from Android several versions ago? I think Android 8.

Answer
Options

1992 Posts

11-24-2020

India

210 Signins

22055 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-06-22, 7:48 AM

@ cwnascar3 wrote:

I have QDFS30.130.42-5-10-12 in my Z4 and after having fingerprint scanner problems since the last update I figured I would boot to recovery mode and clear the system cache, but that option is no longer there.  I am NOT up to "Wipe data/Factory reset".  What' happened to this capability?

Hi, 

Thanks for writing to us. Regarding the Fingerprint concern, I have responded here.

The option to clear the system cache in recovery mode speters is correct. Your phone no longer has the option to clear the system cache partition because it uses the new Seamless (A:B) update process. The OS no longer caches system updates. This is why there is no clear cache partition in the Recovery menu.

Starting with Android 8.0 (oreo) the option to clear all app cache from the storage options was removed. There are still two ways you can clear the app cache. You can go to each app individually and clear cache on an app-by-app basis, or you can use the clean section of Google Files (AKA Filed Go) to clean junk files. I hope this helps! 

Thanks

Sunitha

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

101 Posts

05-26-2010

United States of America

175 Signins

2095 Page Views

• Views: 2095
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-06-22, 19:30 PM

Thanks for the reply, Sunitha.  The "Clean Junk is quite a bit handier than the Recovery Mode method!

As for the fingerprint issue I'll give that a try in a bit.  Will clearing credentials that way affect other credentials like saved passwords and my phone PIN?  

Thanks,

Craig

Options

1992 Posts

11-24-2020

India

210 Signins

22055 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2021-06-23, 7:28 AM

@ cwnascar3 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Sunitha.  The "Clean Junk is quite a bit handier than the Recovery Mode method!

As for the fingerprint issue I' give that a try in a bit.  Will clearing credentials that way affect other credentials like saved passwords and my phone PIN?  

Thanks,

Craig

Hi Craig, 

Please follow the instructions and let me know how it goes. Also, no this will not wipe your saved password or PIN. 

Thanks

Sunitha  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms