Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Byzz
Serial Port
Views: 509
Message 3 of 16

Re: "USB debugging" turns on by itself after phone restart

On further inspection, this doesn't seem to be a security issue from the USB side of things.   Nothing connects at all when my phone (Moto Z4) is locked.  Plugging the usb in does not allow the (Windows 10) computer to access the phone's file system, and "ADB devices" (Android Debug Bridge) can find no devices.

Unlock the phone.. and then the phone's internal memory and SD card appear in Windows File explorer.  Running "ADB devices" now shows the phone as "unauthorized", and a pop-up appears on the phone  asking if I want to authorize it once, or keep it authorized. I authorize it, then "ADB devices" on the PC shows the phone as connected.

When I now disconnect the USB cable and lock the phone, then plug the USB back in... the PC can no longer see the phone. It's locked.

The phone must be unlocked in order to connect by USB for file system access or USB debugging.

That leaves me wondering two things..

1. If I authorize a computer for emergency access if I lock myself out of the phone... how could that work if the phone has to be unlocked to connect?

2. Apparently USB debugging enabled is required to prepare a bug report that possibly contains sensitive information, and that has nothing to do with an actual USB connection? Why does USB debugging keep enabling "itself"?

Byzz
Serial Port
Views: 656
Message 1 of 16

This is happening on my new Moto Z4

I had enabled developer mode previously and usb debugging was off.  I enabled it one time to create a "bug report", then turned it back off.  But now when I go into developer mode menu and look... it's back on.   So I disabled it again, and also disabled developer mode.  But then I plug the usb cable into my laptop, and the notification bar informs me it's in USB debugging mode, click to disable.. but I have to reenable developer mode to turn it back off.   I haven't ever authorized any computers for usb debugging.

It wasn't on the first time I went in and turned it on to create a bug report.

I don't like this a bit, it makes me feel hacked and insecure.

Presto8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 619
Message 2 of 16

Nothing is being done to correct this “USB Debugging” problem despite the fact that several different Motorola phones are experiencing this massive security risk! Even after a factory reset is performed, the problem still persists. As many people can see, the first complaint about this issue was posted on June 22, 2019. Furthermore, I was told by a Motorola customer service representative that this issue would be resolved by mid-August. I’ve concluded that this was a lie. Motorola has absolutely no intention of addressing this problem. I will be promptly returning all three Moto G7 Power units today and exchanging them for three OnePlus 6T devices. I will gladly pay the difference in price. My family will never purchase a Motorola product again. Thanks for nothing Motorola. XDA and AndroidPolice.com forum members have said it best- “Lenovo has completely ruined the Motorola brand.”

J0HN_M
Paper Tape
Views: 462
Message 4 of 16

The issue remains after receiving and applying the August 1, 2019 security patch today.

Byzz
Serial Port
Views: 413
Message 5 of 16

solution on z4

Switch off usb debugging

Power down phone

Spoiler
Boot into "factory mode", wait for "the comm server has started" notification, then reset phone normally.

Now USB debugging stays off, unless it's turned back on by the user.

J0HN_M
Paper Tape
Views: 394
Message 6 of 16

Re: solution on z4

Thank you! After applying your fix I rebooted and also shut down and restarted. Debugging stayed off each time. How did you come up with this?
Presto8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 374
Message 7 of 16

Unfortunately my return date has passed so I’m stuck with three buggy G7 Power devices until I can resale them on EBay or Craigslist. Lenovo really dropped the ball on this one. This bug should have been fixed in the last security update. Nevertheless they continue to ignore it. Being forced to reset your phone in order to fix this problem is unacceptable. Furthermore, a factory reset only temporarily fixes this problem. If you re-enable USB Debugging for any reason such as getting a Bug Report or issuing ADB Commands, this terrible bug reappears.

xeene
SCSI Port
Views: 356
Message 8 of 16

I had better luck selling phones on swappa.com then ebay or Craigslist. 

AndreCunha
Punch Card
Views: 322
Message 9 of 16

Thank you, Byzz! Your solution for Moto Z4 also worked for me in my Motorola One!

...too bad that all of this is required in first place and that no help was provided by Lenovo/Motorola.

Best regards,

André Antunes da Cunha

Byzz
Serial Port
Views: 312
Message 10 of 16

@J0HN_M wrote:
Thank you! After applying your fix I rebooted and also shut down and restarted. Debugging stayed off each time. How did you come up with this?

I stumbled on this randomly.
👍🏻

Randomly? Well I saw a post a recent update hadn't fixed the issue on another phone and my z4 had recently been updated so I went and checked and usb debugging was off. Reset.. still off.

I nearly posted that it had been fixed, but went to check.. I turned it back on and rats... it's back on to stay after any reset. 

How was it off!?

It wasn't the update, and the core issue isn't resolved... So why was it off?  I thought back and remembered poking around with the boot menu.  I tried safe mode. Nope. Not it.  Flash mode... nope.   Factory mode?  Bingo!

Top Kudoed Authors