Options

34 Posts

08-24-2013

US

53 Signins

563 Page Views

• Views: 563
  • Message 1 of 6

Shopping Moto z4 or Pixel 3 - my Z force has lag when playing games when it heats up, does the Z4?

2019-08-04, 4:34 AM

Battery is going on my Z Force - I have loved it, but I play Pokemon Go and when I have been playing for bit and the phone starts to feel warm I start to get a lot of lag - I am learning to throw a ball with lag, but it is an especially frustrating art... I can sometimes play fine for 30 minutes and then wammo stutter stutter!

Does anyone here game with the Z4 ???... Pokemon Go or shooter games or whatever that might stress the phone in this way? Does it lag or stutter when it gets warm?  I found some benchmark tests that showed the Pixel 3 was way better for this.  The Pixel 3 is a more expensive phone and was the Google flagship so I would expect better gaming performance - but if the Z4 handles it easily then that would answer my biggest concern.

Other factors that are wheighing in on the choice if anyone has any thoughts ...

Size

I like the idea of a little smaller phone, the Pixel 3 haas the same screen diagonal measure as the Z Force, just narrower and taller with little bezzle.  Of course the Z4 has a narrower bezel and comes with a bigger screen.

Moto Mods / Battery Life

I love the convenience of the mods, I have only had /  wanted the battery mod.  All phones lose battery life as they age,  so having the mods available stretches that end of life.  But I could stretch that life by having a new battery put in any of the phones also -  I was qouted $65 for the Z Force, and if I didn't have the lag/stutter problem I would do that.

I seem to remember the specs for charge cycles put phone batteries and battery cases at about a year before batteries start to show age assuming charging to full every night - and battery cases are becoming main stream as an answer to the MotoMod - and I have never been thrilled with the bumper solution athough I realize that isn't Moto's fault..  Also full fast charge on the pixel 3 is 90 minutes and Z4 180 minutes ... sorry to ramble but this is the pull and tug on this one.

Camera

Moto Z4 is supposed to be great and the Pixel 3 even greater.

Operating system updates 

Google says 3 years (but fine print says that is from the phones release on the market). I beleive I got at least 2 years of updates on my Z Force so looking past the smoke and mirrors that is probably the same.

I love my Z Force, I assume I would love either phone in terms of operating system ... 

All thoughts appreciated and thanks in advance!

Roger

Options

40 Posts

08-11-2018

US

152 Signins

1238 Page Views

• Views: 1238
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Shopping Moto z4 or Pixel 3 - my Z force has lag when playing games when it heats up, does the Z

2019-08-04, 15:12 PM

The z4 will only get one update and that’s to Q.   I would go with the Pixar 3a plus or the pixel 3 if I don’t want to go to apple.    I don’t have experience with the z4 but have experience with moto and they are a terrible company.   

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2718 Signins

25605 Page Views

• Views: 25605
  • Message 3 of 6

Re: Shopping Moto z4 or Pixel 3 - my Z force has lag when playing games when it heats up, does the Z

2019-08-04, 15:22 PM

Questions like this are tough to answer.  The reasons I would buy a Z4 over a Pixel or buy a Pixel over a Z4 probably aren't the same reasons you would.

I don't play video games, so can't say if the Z4 will get hot or sluggish playing heavy duty games.  It might?  It also might not?

The Z4 camera is good, very good.  As good as a Pixel?  Probably not, but it is a good camera.

I have had no issues whatsoever with the in screen fingerprint scanner.

As far as software updates, if that is extremely important to you (it's not to me), then a Pixel is the only way to go.  If you need timely security patches and the newest OS right away, nothing beats a Pixel.  As far as the Z4 Moto never said it would not get anything above Q.  They only said that would not guarantee anything more.

~Scott
Options

34 Posts

08-24-2013

US

53 Signins

563 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2019-08-04, 21:01 PM

wrote:

The z4 will only get one update and that’s to Q.   I would go with the Pixar 3a plus or the pixel 3 if I don’t want to go to apple.    I don’t have experience with the z4 but have experience with moto and they are a terrible company.   

Good point on the update - I am on the fence as to how important that is because code can be written to accomodate new hardware that might make it impractical to go past Q with either phone - or the phones might run too slow.  Security updates seem important though but it may be that as the operating system gets older fewer security issues are found - because they have already been found.  I can see Google adding in new features though ....

I appreciate the frustration that your post implies, I took a look at your history.  As the Google support forum has similar sentiments by some I have to appreciate that a percent of phones produced by either will have problems.  The more phones sold the greater that number will appear even if the percent is lower - only the manufacturer knows.

I appreciate it is about how the company responds to problems, but again reading posts on Google they do not seem to do better.  The waters are even more muddied by those who post without going through the complete support process (not saying you didn't, just saying hard to judge Moto vs Google by viewing those kinds of posts). 

Wish you the best with your new iphone!

Roger

Options

34 Posts

08-24-2013

US

53 Signins

563 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2019-08-04, 21:02 PM

wrote:

Questions like this are tough to answer.  The reasons I would buy a Z4 over a Pixel or buy a Pixel over a Z4 probably aren't the same reasons you would.

I don't play video games, so can't say if the Z4 will get hot or sluggish playing heavy duty games.  It might?  It also might not?

The Z4 camera is good, very good.  As good as a Pixel?  Probably not, but it is a good camera.

I have had no issues whatsoever with the in screen fingerprint scanner.

As far as software updates, if that is extremely important to you (it's not to me), then a Pixel is the only way to go.  If you need timely security patches and the newest OS right away, nothing beats a Pixel.  As far as the Z4 Moto never said it would not get anything above Q.  They only said that would not guarantee anything more.

Thanks Scott!  I appreciate the clarity.

Options

224 Posts

04-26-2012

US

211 Signins

3581 Page Views

• Views: 3581
  • Message 6 of 6

2019-08-08, 5:26 AM
Where did you get the full fast charge spec? 180 minutes sounds like a lot.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete