Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z4
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-22-2021

Albania

7 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 7

Thinking about getting a moto Z4

2021-07-09, 5:41 AM

Like the title says, I'm considering the Moto z4, the S10+, or the note 9. I wanna know what some owners of a z4 think. Alot of reviews I've been seeing say some not very nice things about it, and I figured they may not have spent quite enough time with it.

So here's what I'm asking.

1. What's the media experience like? (Movies, games, etc. This is priority 1, for me, anyway.)

2. Is it worth it if I don't already own any mods? I've been eyeing a few (gamepad, projector, and speaker mostly.) And if I can get one at purchase, I just think it's a pretty cool gimmick.

3. What's the general use like? Is it user friendly?

4. Customization. How deep does it go? Is it like Samsung who has themes? What can you change?

Like I said, I just wanted some perspective. I got off of Samsung and went to Google, and thinking about going back to Samsung, but I wanna know if this is a better option. I a budget conscious, but open to opinions. Thanks guys!

routerlogin
Options

20124 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2587 Signins

65223 Page Views

• Views: 65223
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Thinking about getting a moto Z4

2021-07-09, 14:04 PM

@ JackLeach wrote:

Like the title says, I' considering the Moto z4, the S10+, or the note 9. I wanna know what some owners of a z4 think. Alot of reviews I' been seeing say some not very nice things about it, and I figured they may not have spent quite enough time with it.

So here' what I' asking.

1. What' the media experience like? (Movies, games, etc. This is priority 1, for me, anyway.)

2. Is it worth it if I don' already own any mods? I' been eyeing a few (gamepad, projector, and speaker mostly.) And if I can get one at purchase, I just think it' a pretty cool gimmick.

3. What' the general use like? Is it user friendly?

4. Customization. How deep does it go? Is it like Samsung who has themes? What can you change?

Like I said, I just wanted some perspective. I got off of Samsung and went to Google, and thinking about going back to Samsung, but I wanna know if this is a better option. I a budget conscious, but open to opinions. Thanks guys!

Hi.

I'll give you my general perspective, personal opinion only.

The Moto Z phones were amazing and the mods were a true breakthrough in mobile. The camera mod in particular was outstanding, but many others were extremely useful.

However, this phone is about two years old and the Z line is no longer being built. Smartphones advance very quickly. It would be difficult to get mods today, and repair may be a problem as well.

I personally carried a Z every day during its run - I would still carry one if they were being built. I have had to move on. You may want to consider a more recent Moto phone, like a moto edge model or one of our higher-end G phones, which are very reasonably priced.

Other owners may feel differently -- maybe you'll get more feedback. Thanks for your interest!

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

216 Posts

03-20-2017

United States of America

619 Signins

9944 Page Views

• Views: 9944
  • Message 3 of 7

2021-07-09, 14:35 PM

I think it's a great phone but perhaps not the best phone for you. As mentioned before, it is 2 years old and even when it was released it didn't have the top-of-the-line Snapdragon chipset. I feel that would definitely be something someone who was into gaming might want. Also, it's really enhanced by the mods and they are available from third parties and used if you want to try. They are definitely not a gimmick. They are a part of the essence of the phone like the stylus is part of the essence of the Note 9.

Speaking of the Note series, the Z4 supports active stylus (Microsoft Pen Protocol) but it doesn't include the stylus. I find that feature to be very useful but it isn't mentioned as one of the things you were specifically interested in. It also very close to stock android so it allows customization via apps and is user-friendly.  The unlocked version allows for multiple user accounts, something that Samsung doesn't allow. I use that to keep things siloed and to allow for others to use my phone without worrying about their prying eyes.

In the end, get what you feel is best for you. If you want to know more about specific use-cases I'm sure others can give you their insight.

Options

2 Posts

07-10-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 4 of 7

2021-07-10, 16:27 PM

These phones are cheaply made and you honestly get what you pay for.

it crashes if you have more than two apps running at one time,

it takes forever to load,

don't expect to answer an incoming call if you are already on the phone... It won't let you.

Forget about streaming on this phone, your app will more than likely never load the game/video and if it does, you won't be able to play it for very long.

Don't expect it to load apps in a reasonable time, if at all. 

The facial recognition works maybe 10% of the time, 

The fingerprint sensor rarely works,

The keyboard freezes all the time.

If you just want to waste money on this phone go ahead, but that's what it is. A waste of money.

Options

1982 Posts

11-24-2020

India

207 Signins

21885 Page Views

• Views: 21885
  • Message 5 of 7

2021-07-12, 11:22 AM

Hi Sapphire1217

Welcome to Motorola Forums. Sorry to hear you're having issues with your phone. I will try my best to help you with this. It would be great if you could help me with some more details. When did you start facing this? Does it happen while using the particular application? What happens when you try to receive a waiting call? What happens when you play games for a long time? Explain more about the streaming concerns? Are you getting any errors while unlocking the phone with fingerprint and face unlock? So I can check and assist you further. 

Thanks

Sunitha

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

2 Posts

07-10-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 6 of 7

2021-07-12, 13:29 PM

I have had these problems with the phone since day one, when I bought it. It acts like it's memory is full. It runs super slow, it has problems loading websites if I'm on the web. All applications have problem running, sometimes they load sometimes they won't even open. But usually after about 30 minutes, if they have opened they become unresponsive, the keyboard wont work, the screen freezes and won't work. The only thing that works is the back button and if you hit it, it takes you to the home screen of the phone. If i get a call while I'm on the phone it won't let me accept the call, the screen becomes unresponsive, or it will make me enter my pin before I answer the call, but the screen will become unresponsive so I won't be able to enter pin number. On the off chance I am able to answer the call, while putting the other person on hold to answer the call, as soon as I hang up on the call to go back to original call, it hangs up on both calls. 

Options

1982 Posts

11-24-2020

India

207 Signins

21885 Page Views

• Views: 21885
  • Message 7 of 7

2021-07-13, 7:53 AM

Hi Sapphire1217

Thank you for confirming! Can you please test your phone in Safe Mode to see if this is an app issue? Safe Mode starts the device without any third-party applications being started. This will allow you to open apps individually to try and determine which app may be causing the issue.

To go into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, then press and hold the pop-up "Power off" key until the Safe Mode instructions pop up, reboot the device to get back to normal mode. Let us know what you'll find out.

Thanks

Sunitha

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms