Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RxNotec
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,723
Message 1 of 9

Z4 Camera and phone call issues. UPDATE 6/28

UPDATE 6/28 08:33 Camera appears to have stabilized fully after all the updates. Phone issue has now been amended below to a RTT issue where when phone is up to face it is not blacking out the screen (proximity sensor issues - Cue up the Golden Eye comedy for those that get that). It turns on the RTT keyboard which then pushes the phone into speakerphone mode. 

Update 17:45 after 55 updates. Yes FIFTY FIVE. The camera has appeared to have stabilized so far. Wondering if this may have been the culprit. Camera updated in that batch but phone stayed the same. Hopefully this was just a bug related to all the updates that needed to be performed. As. Side note I had the camera Aon the latest the first time this happened and rolled it back to see if it would fix it.

1.) Camera Issue

After searching the forums for anything on the Z4 and camera bugs I havent found anything applicable or online. I have gone through cache clearing, storage clearing, uninstalling the camera app, reinstalling it, running it in safe mode, manually pressing down on the camera as one post suggested to make sure it is seated in the phone, and still after a little time and a few photos, the next time I go to open the camera I get a black screen. I restart the phone and the camer come back each time but then goes to black after a little time has passed. I have restarted the phone now at 16:17 CST and will see how long it lasts this time. 

Camera Version 7.2.41.23-denali

Version post update: 7.2.41.55-denali

2.) Phone calls

UPDATED6/28: Phone issue has now been identified as an RTT Keyboard issue. It turns on the RTT keyboard which then pushes the phone into speakerphone mode. Trying to resolve where the proximity sensing is failing to recognize my holding the phone to my face to blackout and shut of the screen touch capability while on call

6/27

My phone today kept switching over to speakerphone while on a call without any input from me. Is there some auto switch setting I am unaware of or that I can adjust to make sure this does not happen unless I manually chose speaker phone? It was rather annoying to have this happen over and over because I don't need staff in my office always hearing the conversations I am having with other staff. 

Phone Call app version 23.0

Phone is Moto Z4

Android 9

Current Version PDF29.105-25-11

Security Patch May 1, 2019

My Brother who is running the exact same phone and settings and aquired phone same day I did is not having any of these same issues. 

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,715
Message 2 of 9

Re: Z4 Camera and phone call issues.

Sorry to hear about those issues.  There has been one camera app update, but it may not fix that issue.  And I don't think there has been any Phone / Dialer app updates.  If it was me I would get a warranty replacement before it gets worse.  That's just my two cents, but issues like that don't get better over time.  As you stated....your brother's phone doesn't have those issues and those are not normal behavior.  Just my thoughts.

~Scott
RxNotec
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,647
Message 3 of 9

UPDATES posted in main post. Camera has stabilized so far and have identified the phone call issues to be related to the RTT keyboard function popping on. 

RxNotec
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,610
Message 4 of 9

RTT is off and it keeps turning on by itself on all calls. It is because the screen isnt blacking out when on a call and I put it up to my face. Then somehow my cheek manages to turn it on.  This is a terrible design flaw. You should be able to 100% disable this. Have had every Z phone since they came out and never had this much problems trying to talk to someone on the phone.

Can't seem to get anyone from Motorola to tell me anything other then there is nothing that can be done. It is a terrible design flaw that constantly interrupts my calls. 

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,589
Message 5 of 9

@RxNotec wrote:

RTT is off and it keeps turning on by itself on all calls. It is because the screen isnt blacking out when on a call and I put it up to my face. Then somehow my cheek manages to turn it on.  This is a terrible design flaw. You should be able to 100% disable this. Have had every Z phone since they came out and never had this much problems trying to talk to someone on the phone.

Can't seem to get anyone from Motorola to tell me anything other then there is nothing that can be done. It is a terrible design flaw that constantly interrupts my calls. 

Hi.

I'm sorry -- finding this post confusing. 

Is the issue now that the prox sensor isn't working properly? It does not black out properly when covered during a call? 

If that's the case, what happens when you run the Hardware test for GPS? (App Drawer > Moto Help > Device diagnosis > Hardware test > GPS.

- Matt

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
RxNotec
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,578
Message 6 of 9

Great suggestion to look at thank you. It was a dual issue but couldnt edit the first post anymore. Proximity turns into an issue randomly but the RTT three button option location in calls is what triggers the problem. I will definitely look at the GPS diagnosis as you mentioned. Thank you.
RxNotec
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,574
Message 7 of 9

Ran tests and all are good. I will run the tests when the problem pops up again.

Syraphill
Paper Tape
Views: 1,060
Message 8 of 9

Did you ever figure out an answer to the RTT issue?  I'm having the same problem.  I try to watch what the screen is doing out of the corner of my eye, but that seems to make it worse and is fairly distracting when I'm on a call.

Highlighted
ryanb4
What's DOS?
Views: 235
Message 9 of 9

I have the same problem on my brand new phone, i cant believe they havent fixed this issue yet! customer service doesnt have a clue!

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors