Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z4
All Forum Topics
Options

54 Posts

06-16-2019

United States of America

67 Signins

572 Page Views

• Views: 572
  • Message 111 of 165

Re: Z4 case compatible with Moto Mods?

2019-08-04, 20:31 PM

Well...I had my first phone drop incident today! I can now say with certainty that the modified grippy bumper I use does indeed provide good drop protection!

I was at the gym and my fat battery pack phone was on those tiny little ledges on those elliptical machines and anyway of course it slips right off of the ledge when I go to try to change to the next song on my playlist because I was listening to music with headphones.

So it falls and hits the pedal or whatever of the elliptical and then falls backside down on the hard ground of the gym floor. My bumper didn’t even fall off nor did my battery mod! With my old Moto Z3 and my old Verizon brand bumper my battery mod always would go flying off when dropped! This didn’t happen this time! It was a good maybe 4’ drop too! I panicked of course but no mark or scratch on it! I also have a zagg glass screen protector on it too.

So I feel my phone is super protected! I kept it in the cup holder for the remainder of my workout and will do so from now on. More secure in there for sure. Yikes! Scary though!

Options

92 Posts

06-21-2019

United States of America

203 Signins

1747 Page Views

• Views: 1747
  • Message 112 of 165

2019-08-04, 20:36 PM

That's great news! I love mine too and have now purchased a purple one for my wife!

Options

54 Posts

06-16-2019

United States of America

67 Signins

572 Page Views

• Message 113 of 165

2019-08-04, 21:04 PM

Hey awesome!

It’s nice having different colored bumpers when you both have the same phone! Much less confusing in our house at least! Hahaha!

I hope she likes the purple!

Options

4 Posts

07-11-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 114 of 165

2019-08-05, 7:05 AM

I also had my first drop, but mine didn't turn out as good. The phone stayed in the case and it shattered when the side hit the concrete of my break room floor at work. I had to order an insurance replacement since they don't offer screen replacement for this model. I have already ordered my OtterBox and I'll just be without my battery mod until I figure something else out.

I can tell it was from where the hard piece of the inside of the case hit the edge of the screen then made the break start. I wish you all caution and hope you don't have the same outcome I did. 

Options

92 Posts

06-21-2019

United States of America

203 Signins

1747 Page Views

• Message 115 of 165

2019-08-05, 11:48 AM

Oh no! That's terrible! Did you have the same type of grippy case we modified? I did, just last week, add some strips of felt to the inside of mine on each side. I noticed that the plastic kinda rubbed on the metal and I like it better now. Anyway, it made the bumper even tighter. 

Options

92 Posts

06-21-2019

United States of America

203 Signins

1747 Page Views

• Message 116 of 165

2019-08-05, 11:48 AM
She loves it! Lol
Options

54 Posts

06-16-2019

United States of America

67 Signins

572 Page Views

• Message 117 of 165

2019-08-05, 11:55 AM

Oh no! Dang it! Im sorry that happened to you! Awful!

What kind of case did you have originally if you don’t mind my asking? Your new OtterBox should provide great protection. That’s what I always used to use in the past before the mods came into the picture and I felt that they provided really good all around protection! Too bad they aren’t mod compatible though. Darn it. 

Do you have insurance through your phone company/carrier? Such as Verizon or whatever you have? I’m just curious because I currently am without insurance protection on mine and I’m beginning to wonder if that is a huge mistake. My husband has insurance on his Moto Z4 through Verizon. Maybe I should look into that too. I’m hearing a lot of horror stories and I am accident prone. I do have a nice grippy modified bumper and a zagg glass screen protector but still, stuff happens even with good protection! Yikes!

Options

54 Posts

06-16-2019

United States of America

67 Signins

572 Page Views

• Message 118 of 165

2019-08-05, 12:06 PM

Interesting idea! I don’t notice mine really rubbing on the metal but I just may have to try your idea! Nice! It definitely would snug up the bumper even more plus a little extra padding never hurts, right?

Can I ask what type of felt you used? I am not really sure what you mean. Just like that regular really inexpensive like craft fabric felt? That comes in like 50 colors? That kids or adults too I guess use for craft projects? Or is it more like that foam material? And did you glue or tape it to the bumper or just slide it in there?

Thanks! Great idea! These grippy bumpers are getting better by the day! 

Oh and how did modifying your wife’s purple bumper go? Easier this time now that you’re a pro? Haha ;)

Options

92 Posts

06-21-2019

United States of America

203 Signins

1747 Page Views

• Message 119 of 165

2019-08-05, 13:01 PM

It is craft felt with an adhesive back. I just cut a few pieces for each side since that's where I noticed the rubbing. You can buy the felt in sheets. My wife had some left from a past project. I need to buy some more now. See pics.

Yes, the case turned out very well. I noticed in the pictures you posted of the ones you modified, you didn't show the bottom rubber piece on the back being cut. For the battery mod to work, I had to cut mine straight across. Did you do something different? Thanks!

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

United States of America

2724 Signins

25645 Page Views

• Views: 25645
  • Message 120 of 165

2019-08-05, 14:15 PM

wrote:

Oh no! Dang it! Im sorry that happened to you! Awful!

What kind of case did you have originally if you don’t mind my asking? Your new OtterBox should provide great protection. That’s what I always used to use in the past before the mods came into the picture and I felt that they provided really good all around protection! Too bad they aren’t mod compatible though. Darn it. 

Do you have insurance through your phone company/carrier? Such as Verizon or whatever you have? I’m just curious because I currently am without insurance protection on mine and I’m beginning to wonder if that is a huge mistake. My husband has insurance on his Moto Z4 through Verizon. Maybe I should look into that too. I’m hearing a lot of horror stories and I am accident prone. I do have a nice grippy modified bumper and a zagg glass screen protector but still, stuff happens even with good protection! Yikes!

Juts FYI...Motorola also offers extended warranties and has an accident protection plan, which helps lower the cost of broken screens & other accidents.  Check it oiut here:

https://www.motorola.com/us/moto-care

I think you have to sign up for the accident care plan within the first 30 days though, but not 100% sure.

~Scott
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms