Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z4
All Forum Topics
Options

124 Posts

07-20-2019

United States of America

368 Signins

2903 Page Views

• Views: 2903
  • Message 1 of 9

charging issue

2021-06-06, 0:05 AM

my z4 quit working with some chargers.

it won't turbo charge, reports "charging slowly" and doesn't charge at all, with the original charger that came with the phone and another Samsung fast charger that did work fine, with turbo charge, with the z4.

Oddly, I found that my J5 create "90W Power Dock" model JCDP392-4A -does- turbo charge the Z4.

the original moto charger and the Samsung charger still turbo charge the Samsung S10 just fine. cables are ok.

the battery is still in good condition and holds a charge quite well 

What happened is I've had a strange occurance the last month or so where I would power off the z4 and either leave the charger connected, or connect the charger just after powering off the phone.

for some reason, the z4 would turn itself back on (!?)

yesterday I got annoyed and pressed and held the power button as the z4 was powering itself back up.  something bad happened. the phone entered a boot loop, where shortly after the colors started to flash it would begin the boot process again... Eventually stating that android had failed to boot, data is corrupt, perform factory reset.

I did the factory reset... 

it booted ok, but won't charge on the normal chargers now.  

it seems like an odd coincidence if this is a hardware issue...

and why is it charging normally with the J5 Create Power Dock.. ( "TurboPower Connected" ) but not with the OEM or the Samsung turbo power bricks ( "Charging Slowly" but draining battery even when off)

?

should I try to reflash the phone?

Btw, phone is not powering itself up now after being turned off.

Answer
Options

124 Posts

07-20-2019

United States of America

368 Signins

2903 Page Views

Re:charging issue

2021-06-24, 18:04 PM
Hi. I never got around to trying to flash the phone, but just did an available system OTA update to QPFS30.130-15-11-17 The OTA update seems to have fixed the charger issue. So this was definitely firmware and not hardware problem.

Replies(8)
Options

124 Posts

07-20-2019

United States of America

368 Signins

2903 Page Views

• Message 2 of 9

2021-06-06, 14:05 PM

A few screenshots. The one that says "charging slowly" is when connected to the OEM turbo charger, or the Samsung turbo charger.  Although it says charging slowly, it doesn't actually charge and battery slowly depletes.

The chargers and cables are both good, have tested fine on another phone.

The one that says "TurboPower Connected" is while connected to the J5 Create USB-C Power Dock mentioned in original post.  Phone charges normally, and turbo charges when it's supposed to.

Screenshot_20210606-095623.png Screenshot_20210606-095727.png
Options

14293 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1313 Signins

178190 Page Views

• Views: 178190
  • Message 3 of 9

2021-06-06, 15:46 PM

Hi Byzz

I appreciate the things you've tried. It looks like your phone is oddly requiring a higher charging wattage for it to turbo charge. And that supplied charger and your Samsung charger isn't enough for turbo charging. Can you please confirm if you did restore your backup after doing factory data reset? Also, as for the charging behavior, I've seen it before, the phone will boot up when it's plugged in to the charger. Seems like working as designed. Please let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

124 Posts

07-20-2019

United States of America

368 Signins

2903 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2021-06-06, 18:29 PM
Hi. The phone doesn't charge at all when it reports "charging slowly". The battery % will slowly but surely decline. No, nothing was restored after factory reset. Charging problem evident immediately after boot. Although the phone -can- be charged with the J5 Create USB-C dock, this is highly inconvenient. Why would the phone begin powering itself on when plugged into a charger? it has never done that before, and does not do that now. It's stupid and if I wanted to deal with that kind of stupidity I would torment myself by purchasing Apple products. Anyway, I would like an idea if the charging issue could perhaps be remedied with a firmware reflash using the Moto provided PC software, or if perhaps (seems unlikely?) that a USB-C connection in the Z4 socket could cause the phone to distinguish between the two charging systems?
Options

216 Posts

03-20-2017

United States of America

619 Signins

9944 Page Views

• Views: 9944
  • Message 5 of 9

2021-06-06, 19:28 PM

It could very well be a hardware issue and not a software issue. Without being able to physically examine the phone it is very hard to tell. If there is lint, dust or moisture in the charging port that could cause problems. It could be an issue with the battery. The Moto Mod port also has a power input and if you had the car dock I would suggest you connect your Motorola charger to that and see if you get the turbo power accessible that way. There are also other mods that can pass power through which could be used to power your phone but your best bet is to take it to a certified repair shop and get it examined. That way the charging port could be replaced if it was causing problems.

Options

124 Posts

07-20-2019

United States of America

368 Signins

2903 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2021-06-08, 0:10 AM
I highly suspect a battery management driver is corrupted. The USB-C port used for charging was cleaned and inspected within a minute of noticing the charger no longer worked properly. ... after corrupting the firmware by doing a hard reset as the phone was powering itself up when the charger was plugged in... and resetting firmware to "factory default" I wonder if the phone is using a different driver for the J5 Create dock, which supports more than one power protocol. battery is in excellent condition, it's holding a charge about as long as brand new. I won't be buying any more mods for the Z4
Options

4519 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

782 Signins

62255 Page Views

• Views: 62255
  • Message 7 of 9

2021-06-08, 18:25 PM

Hi Byzz,

If you think this was caused by a corrupted firmware after the factory data reset, then please try to flash the phone using the Rescue and Smart assistant app for Windows PC. Please let me know if this helps. 

Repair and Smart Assistant Download link and User guide:  https://motorola-global-en-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/141368

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Answer
Options

124 Posts

07-20-2019

United States of America

368 Signins

2903 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2021-06-24, 18:04 PM
Hi. I never got around to trying to flash the phone, but just did an available system OTA update to QPFS30.130-15-11-17 The OTA update seems to have fixed the charger issue. So this was definitely firmware and not hardware problem.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1992 Posts

11-24-2020

India

210 Signins

22055 Page Views

• Views: 22055
  • Message 9 of 9

2021-06-25, 7:37 AM

@ Byzz wrote:

Hi. I never got around to trying to flash the phone, but just did an available system OTA update to QPFS30.130-15-11-17The OTA update seems to have fixed the charger issue. So this was definitely firmware and not hardware problem.

Hi, 

Great! I'm glad to know that issue has been resolved. Please don't hesitate to post again in case you need further assistance. We are here to help! 

Thanks

Sunitha

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms