Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z² Force
All Forum Topics
Options

130 Posts

12-18-2014

United States of America

395 Signins

5963 Page Views

• Views: 5963
  • Message 41 of 105

Re: Moto Z2 Screen Scratched Screen

2017-11-22, 20:21 PM

Got Scared and I purchased the otterbox defender and had to remove the extra screen from the otterbox case. I already had a zagg protector on however wanted to protect the phone even more. After case installed I noticed the zagg had a bubble in the top left and bottom right corner. Removed the case and fortunatley the zagg smothed into place. I tried this twice. Maybe the tightness of the case was causing the zagg to move a bit however did not want to take a chance on excessive pressure on the shattershield screen causing a weekness and possible peeling. So far my zagg has held up, knowing that the zagg protector had issues reported early. Less protection with just the bumper case which doesent seem to hit the shattershield and zagg protector. I also purchased a plantronics BT in order to prevent excess removal of the phone from my duty belt especially during bulky coat weather. Just wanted to thro the case issue out there and maybe prevent someone else an issue.

Options

27 Posts

10-20-2017

United States of America

38 Signins

433 Page Views

• Views: 433
  • Message 42 of 105

2017-11-22, 20:26 PM

Sorry but you can't honestly be comparing how easily the SS scratches to how much effort it takes to scratch GG.  I can pull my phone in and out of my pocket, without any thing else in there, and haves multiple thin scratches on the SS.  I can do the same thing with a phone with GG and will have no scratches.  Perhaps if I threw multiple small rocks in there I would have the same results.  In essence the SS is a great  idea that was poorly executed.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 43 of 105

2017-11-22, 22:20 PM

wrote:

Sorry but you can't honestly be comparing how easily the SS scratches to how much effort it takes to scratch GG.  I can pull my phone in and out of my pocket, without any thing else in there, and haves multiple thin scratches on the SS.  I can do the same thing with a phone with GG and will have no scratches.  Perhaps if I threw multiple small rocks in there I would have the same results.  In essence the SS is a great  idea that was poorly executed.

I wasn't comparing GG to SS in terms of ease of scratching. Plastic is many times softer then glass, and will always scratch more easily. But GG does scratch - every phone i have, i have run without any screen protector (before i got my Z2 Force) and every phone with GG has small scratches on the screens. Yes it took longer to get scratched, but GG does scratch.

But more importantly GG cracks if dropped. You have to pick what is more important to you. Shattershield never claimed to be scratch proof or scratch resistant. But many users do assume Gorilla glass is both shatter proof and scratch proof and it is not. It is simply more durable then regular glass, but glass shatters/cracks and SS does not. 

Motorola targeted a demographic - probably the line of sheeple at the apple store getting screens fixed. Shattershield addresses the problem with cracked screens. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

27 Posts

10-20-2017

United States of America

38 Signins

433 Page Views

• Message 44 of 105

2017-11-22, 23:41 PM

Gotcha, I obviously interpreted your reply incorrectly.  Yeah, anyone that believes GG can't shatter should talk to my daughter.....to date she has successfully shattered or cracked three phones all flagship Samsung phones.  In all the years that I have carried a smartphone (more than I care to admit to) have yet to shatter or crack a phone (knock on wood).  I like you, do not put screen protectors on my phones, and if I am being 100% honest I absolutely abhor them. 

With all things considered, this probably puts me into a category of people that should not have bought the z2 force.  Which of course leaves another question to ponder, so if I can't carry the z2 force because of how easily it scratches, which moto phone would I get, the Moto z droid, the moto x4, or the moto z play?  If I am being honest I would consider any of those to be a major step backwards, so really my only option is to look elsewhere.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Message 45 of 105

2017-11-23, 0:03 AM

wrote:

Gotcha, I obviously interpreted your reply incorrectly.  Yeah, anyone that believes GG can't shatter should talk to my daughter.....to date she has successfully shattered or cracked three phones all flagship Samsung phones.  In all the years that I have carried a smartphone (more than I care to admit to) have yet to shatter or crack a phone (knock on wood).  I like you, do not put screen protectors on my phones, and if I am being 100% honest I absolutely abhor them. 

With all things considered, this probably puts me into a category of people that should not have bought the z2 force.  Which of course leaves another question to ponder, so if I can't carry the z2 force because of how easily it scratches, which moto phone would I get, the Moto z droid, the moto x4, or the moto z play?  If I am being honest I would consider any of those to be a major step backwards, so really my only option is to look elsewhere.

Why not put a $5 plastic screen protector on z force. Then you get best of all. I bought the iq shield on Amazon. Others like temperd glass. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

7 Posts

11-23-2017

United States of America

11 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 46 of 105

2017-11-23, 16:09 PM

I am having the same issue with the screen easily scratching. I had a professional apply a screen protector but it would not stay adhered to the bottom of the screen due to how the shattershield rests around the fingerprint sensor. Now there are quite a few cosmetic dents and scratches on the screen even though I have not dropped it and have treated it with care. 

I have heard there is a new batch of these devices that do not have the issue of the shattershield resting improperly around the fingerprint sensor. Is there a way for me to have my device replaced with one of the newer ones?

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Message 47 of 105

2017-11-23, 18:29 PM

wrote:

I am having the same issue with the screen easily scratching. I had a professional apply a screen protector but it would not stay adhered to the bottom of the screen due to how the shattershield rests around the fingerprint sensor. Now there are quite a few cosmetic dents and scratches on the screen even though I have not dropped it and have treated it with care. 

I have heard there is a new batch of these devices that do not have the issue of the shattershield resting improperly around the fingerprint sensor. Is there a way for me to have my device replaced with one of the newer ones?

I wouldn't believe everything you hear. I have heard of no change to the phones, and my phone is one of the first with no issues of how the shattershield fits. 

There have been reports of some brand screen protectors not staying attached at one of the corners, but I have protectors on 2 phones that have had no problem. I think the problem is the brand of screen protector. 

As for repair/replace options - you would have to contact motorola support and ask them. They will be the ones to let you know what options are available. 

Options

2 Posts

11-24-2017

United States of America

6 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 48 of 105

2017-11-24, 21:23 PM

I respect all the disclaimers, etc, but bottom line the Z2 I just got back in October has scratched up way worse than any  of my former Motorolas under same usage demands, Droid, Droid Maxx, ZForce and more. Very disappointed. 

Options

27 Posts

10-20-2017

United States of America

38 Signins

433 Page Views

• Message 49 of 105

2017-11-25, 21:41 PM

Yeah if I am thinking of the type of protection you are I think those are the worst thing yet.  To me it seems sticky have the time and collects dust around the edges worse than my bed.  

For me I decided to buy the Essential phone, and I must say that I am loving it.  So, it looks like phone is heading to eBay.  Maybe someone else will love the delicate screen and unreliable WI-FI goodness of the phone.

Motorola it was nice knowing you.  Let me know if and when you get your act together.

Options

7 Posts

11-23-2017

United States of America

11 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 50 of 105

2017-11-25, 22:07 PM

Should I make some kind of threat like this? Would that make Moto do something for me?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms