Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z² Force
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

03-26-2018

United States of America

18 Signins

148 Page Views

• Views: 148
  • Message 1 of 7

Tmobile Moto Z Force 2nd Generation USB C Headset low MICROPHONE volume tested 6 headsets

2018-04-21, 15:55 PM

Tmobile Moto Z Force 2nd Generation - Used six different headset/mic  3.5mm audio with the USB-C adapter - tested 6 headsets

Purchased 3 additional 3.5mm adapter to USB-C in addition to what came in box. The adapter is not the problem.

All 6 3.5mm headsets work fine on four other smartphone models that have 3.5mm audio jacks. So, Non-Moto Z  with 3.5mm jacks work fine. 

On the Moto Z Force all 6 3.5mm headphones hooked to USB-C adapter have very low microphone volume.

Microphone volume on Moto Z Force 2nd Gen is about 5dB lower than using phone's microphone.

On one Bluetooth headset (full earphone with mic) the Moto Z Force volume is also low.

Android does not appear to have a setting or volume meter for Microphone volume.

Please Advise!

Answer
Options

12 Posts

03-26-2018

United States of America

18 Signins

148 Page Views

Re: Tmobile Moto Z Force 2nd Generation USB C Headset low MICROPHONE volume tested 6 headsets

2018-05-28, 17:11 PM

Now have the replacement Moto Z Force 2nd Generation phone. Tested several microphones, they appear to work just fine!

Evidently, it was a hardware defect on the phone I purchased.

Something I can't prove and sadly didn't run an app to test. The earphones also appear to be much more clear.

The big issues was the microphone volume was low. The same headsets now seem to work so much better. The people I often have conversations with noticed the big difference.

Replies(6)
Options

39 Posts

02-26-2018

United States of America

232 Signins

2375 Page Views

• Views: 2375
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Tmobile Moto Z Force 2nd Generation USB C Headset low MICROPHONE volume tested 6 headsets

2018-04-27, 15:43 PM

wrote:

Tmobile Moto Z Force 2nd Generation - Used six different headset/mic  3.5mm audio with the USB-C adapter - tested 6 headsets

Purchased 3 additional 3.5mm adapter to USB-C in addition to what came in box. The adapter is not the problem.

All 6 3.5mm headsets work fine on four other smartphone models that have 3.5mm audio jacks. So, Non-Moto Z  with 3.5mm jacks work fine. 

On the Moto Z Force all 6 3.5mm headphones hooked to USB-C adapter have very low microphone volume.

Microphone volume on Moto Z Force 2nd Gen is about 5dB lower than using phone's microphone.

On one Bluetooth headset (full earphone with mic) the Moto Z Force volume is also low.

Android does not appear to have a setting or volume meter for Microphone volume.

Please Advise!

Hello Tesla3D,

Could you please update your profile with the IMEI number of your device?  We would like to take a look at some of your build information and look into this issue you are experiencing.

Best Regards,

Cody

Options

12 Posts

03-26-2018

United States of America

18 Signins

148 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2018-05-21, 15:06 PM

Please provide instructions on how to obtain that information.   Settings - AboutPhone - Status 

Build Number: OCXS27.1.2

Kernal 4.4.78-perf--ga70aeb9 Mar 6 2018

Anroid Version 8.0.0

Software variant tmo  

IMEI - IMS Registration Status - Registered

Serial Number zY224RTNN6

Found one phone headset - now have tested 12 - that had a built in 1.8X boost.

It just wore out the wire on one ear, they don't make this model anymore. No other headset microphone works.

Put on Microphone volume test - using 6 other and the above one with the 1.8X boost.

Put Microphone volume test app on using 3.5mm adapters to USB C adapter 

Only the one mentioned above with 1.8X microphone boost  had normal volume.

All the rest are 8dB to 12dB lower in volume. Unless holding headset microphone right in front of mouth and speaking loudly will the voice recgonition work on the rest of the headphones.

The Moto G App Settings do not have a Microphone Volume Setting option. What is up with that?

Options

12 Posts

03-26-2018

United States of America

18 Signins

148 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2018-05-21, 15:45 PM
I took the phone to tmobile store to demonsrate the microphone low volume using headset. They couldn't believe I put up with this.
They are ordering a replacement as it is under 90 days old.
I hope the next Moto Z force 2nd generation will work.
Answer
Options

12 Posts

03-26-2018

United States of America

18 Signins

148 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2018-05-28, 17:11 PM

Now have the replacement Moto Z Force 2nd Generation phone. Tested several microphones, they appear to work just fine!

Evidently, it was a hardware defect on the phone I purchased.

Something I can't prove and sadly didn't run an app to test. The earphones also appear to be much more clear.

The big issues was the microphone volume was low. The same headsets now seem to work so much better. The people I often have conversations with noticed the big difference.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

12 Posts

03-26-2018

United States of America

18 Signins

148 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2018-06-04, 12:35 PM
For all of the Moto model bad microphone hardware issues, Moto should have had a simple app for users to test for this defect. The Quality Assurance has failed, and the user support has failed.
This has wasted over 50 hours of my time in total. This is evidently a lack of comittment on Moto's senior management to develop a support plan.
Options

39 Posts

02-26-2018

United States of America

232 Signins

2375 Page Views

• Views: 2375
  • Message 7 of 7

2018-06-04, 17:32 PM

Hello,

Thank you very much for the feedback you have provided.  I am glad to hear that the replacement device is working for you.  

Best Regards,

Cody

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms