Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z² Play
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

09-13-2019

United States of America

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 1 of 7

Moto Z2 Play USB Charging But No PC Connection

2019-09-13, 5:48 AM

The last time I backed up files from my phone to my PC was Nov 2018. I'm ready to do another backup, but for some reason it won't recognize the USB connection.

I have a Moto Z2 Play, updated to Android 8.0.0. I have Developer Mode enabled and USB Debugging enabled. I used to be able to pull down the Notification Panel and select from Charging Only to File Transfer. Now it only shows that it is "Charging slowly" and says that "USB is not connected." I am using the OEM USB to USB-C cord. Attempted to connect to two different Windows 10 computers. Neither computer has any clue that there is a USB connection. I have rebooted the phone in safe mode and there was no difference. 

It is very important to me that the files on my phone are backed up with integrity. Please help!

Options

957 Posts

02-20-2009

United States of America

1101 Signins

6501 Page Views

• Views: 6501
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Moto Z2 Play USB Charging But No PC Connection

2019-09-13, 10:35 AM

You said you were using an OEM cable... Is it truly from Motorola? Some USB C cables only do power delivery, no data., for charging only. If you are unsure if it is a genuine Moto cable, I would try another. 

Options

4 Posts

09-13-2019

United States of America

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2019-09-13, 14:51 PM

This is the USB to USB-C cord that came with the Turbo Charge charger, that disconnects from the wall socket. I've used this cord before to do data transfers. It's a genuine Moto cable. 

When the phone is plugged in to the Turbo Charger, it registers as Turbo Charging.

Options

4 Posts

09-13-2019

United States of America

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2019-09-14, 5:47 AM

Update: The cord is in fact one that came with the TurboPower charger, which came in the box with the Moto Z2 Play which I got directly from Motorola. Computers will no longer recognize the connection, but will the phone will recognize it as "Charging" or "Charging Slowly." 
I tried using a cord that I had in my car (a long, braided cord bought off Amazon), and the devices FINALLY recognize each other. However, I was only able to extract two photos before Windows 10 gave me the error, "A device attached to the system is not fuctioning." Clearly this cord is working much better than the original cord, even went as far as to successfully transport a couple photos, but something's still wrong. I think the USB-C port on my phone has some kind of issue.

As a backup plan, will I be able to extract photos, videos, and documents onto a MicroSD card decently? 

Options

0 Posts

02-04-2020

United States of America

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 5 of 7

2020-02-04, 15:23 PM

I am having the same issues.

"

Phone says "charging slowly". When I plug the USB cable from phone to PC, it no longer recognizes the PC. It is not giving the "USB options" when I swipe down. 

I have messed with the cable several times, and have got it to see it for a brief moment. It makes me wonder if the charge port is loose? If I remove and re-insert the cable enough it will work for a second. Can this be swapped out? Is it the battery?

Options

33 Posts

08-10-2009

United States of America

60 Signins

1210 Page Views

• Views: 1210
  • Message 6 of 7

Re:Moto Z2 Play USB Charging But No PC Connection

2021-07-08, 0:45 AM

I had the same problem but it was solved by going to the system icon on the phone with the usb cable plugged into the computer then selecting Connected Devices then selecting USB.  The phone then asked to transfer files so I selected that.  The computer then recognized the phone and set it up so I can now transfer files using the USB cord.  However, I cannot transfer files using bluetooth for some reason.

Options

2248 Posts

11-24-2020

India

229 Signins

23945 Page Views

• Views: 23945
  • Message 7 of 7

Re:Moto Z2 Play USB Charging But No PC Connection

2021-07-08, 6:11 AM

Hi JAKsIBMs

Thanks for writing to us. I’m glad to know that and thank you for sharing the workaround. 

Sorry to hear about the Bluetooth concern. I will try my best to help you with this. It would be great if you could help me with some more details. When did you start facing this? Was it working fine before? Are the particular files you are unable to transfer via Bluetooth or all files? Are you getting any errors while transferring? Have you tested with another device? If yes, are you able to transfer the files? Is another device visible while sharing? So I can check and assist you further.

Thanks

Sunitha

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms