Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z² Play
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

05-29-2019

United States of America

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 9

My Motorola Z2 Play keeps shutting off by itself.

2019-05-29, 23:10 PM

I've had 3 different moto phones now all the same one that is a z2 play, and they've all had the same problem of shutting off randomly in the middle of me doing something. It's normally while watching a video, listening to music, scrolling facebook, listening to voice messages, during phone calls, or while playing a game, and sometimes while just going through my stuff. When it shuts off, the audio still plays and the fingerprint sensor will still vibrate. I either end up having to hold the power button down, or I just wait for my phone to either completely shut off and restart or shut off and I have to turn it on manually. Is there anybody else having these problems?

I've had new phones because the other two had water poured on them and stopped working. Before the water was poured on them though they were shutting off like my recent phone. However my first one would also say it was overheating randomly. 

Any help is appriciated! 

This is all in the span of a year.

Options

956 Posts

02-20-2009

United States of America

1100 Signins

6496 Page Views

• Views: 6496
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: My Motorola Z2 Play keeps shutting off by itself.

2019-05-30, 1:31 AM

Do you have a microSD card in your phone? Remove it from your phone, and retest. 

If you have the card formatted for internal storage, back up your data, turn off the phone, remove the microSD card, and factory reset your phone...then retest, preferably with a bare minimum of apps.

I've seen slow and marginal microSD cards in several manufacturers phones exhibit the behavior you describe. It would also explain why the problem moved from phone to phone if you moved the same card.

If the phone works reliably after running without a microSD card, buy a new card...with very high speed specs. 

Options

1 Posts

06-09-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 9

Re:My Motorola Z2 Play keeps shutting off by itself.

2020-06-09, 6:49 AM
My Moto Z2 Play phone also switches off randomly like how he mentioned but I haven't inserted any SD card. I use dual sims alone. Nowadays it started to switch off whenever I receive a call and whenever I try to call. So because of this problem I couldn't even make a call.
Options

14293 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1313 Signins

178190 Page Views

• Views: 178190
  • Message 4 of 9

2020-06-09, 18:22 PM

Hi Priy@nkaR,

Thanks for posting on this thread. I'd like to help. Does it happen with all calls (regular phone calls, calls using third-party apps)? First, please make sure all apps are up to date in Play Store. Also, you may try observing this in safe mode.

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.
Just turn off and on the phone to boot back to normal mode.

Please let me know if there's any improvement. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

1 Posts

07-11-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 5 of 9

2020-07-11, 7:24 AM
Hello, I have had my phone for at least 2 years and I had not issues that I could remember the first 6 months until I had an update that completely changed my phone start up screen. Shortly after that my phone began shutting off. At times the screen goes black and you can still here sound, and other times it shuts off completely and the camera light will begin flashing. I have done everything as far as safe mode, reboot, and factory reset with no change. Since I have had this phone for so long with this recurring issue I have a pretty good idea of when it will shut off. Once my battery life is 70% or below it's more likely to shut off. The main cause of the shut-off seems to be if I have my volume above approximately 75%. Playing any sound above 75% will guarantee my phone shuts off even at max battery. I have noticed other things to shut my phone off that doesn't play a sound such as my camera if my phone is below 50% battery or loading just about anything below 50% battery so to compensate I never allow my phone to go below 65%. I don't know much about phone tech but would imagine this is a battery issue as my phone doesnt overheat and if it's charging it rarely shuts off (not that I use my phone often when it charges). I'm hoping all this time spent with this phone will help some of the tech group get to the bottom of this and resolve for future phones. I will check back see responses and if needed provide any more detail.
Options

14293 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1313 Signins

178190 Page Views

• Views: 178190
  • Message 6 of 9

2020-07-14, 17:04 PM

Hi Bear_90,

Thanks for posting on the thread. I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've tried. Did you restore your apps/backup after doing factory data reset? If so, I would recommend not restoring them and observe the phone with its only stock apps installed. See if that helps. Otherwise, it's possible of a hardware failure and the phone needs to be serviced for repair.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

1 Posts

07-15-2021

Ghana

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 7 of 9

2021-07-15, 19:32 PM

I've had 3 different moto phones now all the same one that is a z2 play, and they've all had the same problem of shutting off randomly in the middle of me doing something. It's normally while watching a video, listening to music, scrolling facebook, listening to voice messages, during phone calls, or while playing a game, and sometimes while just going through my stuff. When it shuts off, the audio still plays and the fingerprint sensor will still vibrate. I either end up having to hold the power button down, or I just wait for my phone to either completely shut off and restart or shut off and I have to turn it on manually. Is there anybody else having these problems?

I've had new phones because the other two had water poured on them and stopped working. Before the water was poured on them though they were shutting off like my recent phone. However my first one would also say it was overheating randomly. 

Any help is appriciated! 

Options

2163 Posts

11-24-2020

India

224 Signins

23310 Page Views

• Views: 23310
  • Message 8 of 9

2021-07-16, 6:36 AM

Hi Geonaxy,

Welcome to Motorola Forums. Sorry to hear you're having issues with your phone. I will do my best to help you with this. When did you start facing this? Are you using the charger that came in with the phone? Does it show any error before it powers off? Have you tried the above-recommended instructions(Safe Mode)? If not, please test your phone in Safe Mode and let me know what you will find out. I look forward to your response.

Thanks

Sunitha

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!

Options

9 Posts

05-26-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

15 Signins

137 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 137
  • Message 9 of 9

2021-08-27, 17:10 PM

This is a familiar problem to me. Basically you are right: the battery is worn out and needs replacing. It collapses when asked to provide high current to support (especially) video apps - I had particular trouble with WhatsApp video calls which invariably crashed, but any high-drain app would do it.

It got worse and worse, with time. Eventually the phone was pretty much unusable when charge was <50%. It was 3yrs old.

You can verify this by running the free Battery Monitor app from the Play Store. This logs voltage and capacity to a CSV file. When the phone crashes the log will show capacity going from (say) 45% to 4% in a 2 or 3 seconds. This can't possibly be accurate, since that amount of sudden discharge is pretty much a short circuit that would set fire to the phone, but it shows the phone battery management is what falls over. It now thinks the battery is flat, or nearly so, often won't restart, and only recovers after charging.

The only thing that stopped it crashing was being plugged into a charger, or using a battery moto mod. But I've since replaced the internal battery, and the problem is now cured.

It's possible to DIY, or you might find an independent repairer - since I doubt Motorola will have much interest in repairing an old phone. There are instructions at iFixit.com. Be very careful as the glued-in screen has to be removed using a heat gun and spudger, and it breaks very easily.  There are lots of aftermarket cheap screens available via eBay etc, but the screens aren't AMEOLED and don't have Gorilla glass. The one I bought didn't even fit properly, so went back. In the end the only seller I could find of authentic Motorola replacement screens and batteries was iFixit, but screens especially aren't cheap (84GBP), as I know to my cost.

Since doing this, it's fine. Android 8 isn't the problem.

--
Regards / Tony Sleep
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms