Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 29 (48 Views)

MotoCast doesn't activate when plugged in

motocast will not activate when i plug my phone (atrix) into my laptop to transfer files,photos,music ect) is there something that i have to do other than loading the motocast program?

thanks gary

Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 29 (48 Views)

Re: MotoCast doesn't activate when plugged in

moved to Atrix section from posted Droid 4 section.

Moto Sr Moderator
Message 3 of 29 (48 Views)

Are you using the Motorola USBcable that came with the phone?

Are you plugging it into the laptop and not an USB hub?

Have you tried other USB outlets?

What's DOS?
Message 4 of 29 (48 Views)

Eagle328 said:

Are you using the Motorola USBcable that came with the phone?

Are you plugging it into the laptop and not an USB hub?

Have you tried other USB outlets?

yes im using the cavle that came with the phone

yes im plugging into laptop

its a hdmi on the laptop end and a little hdmi for phone

Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 29 (48 Views)

So your using the HDMI cable and not the USB cable? You should just be using the USB cable only. The HDMI will not do what your trying to do. Let me know and then we can troubleshoot further if needed.

What's DOS?
Message 6 of 29 (48 Views)

I have been trying to get my Atrix phone to register on my computer.  I have downloaded and installed Motocast and MotoHelper 2.1.40 Driver 5.5.0 
When I connect phone to computer, I do not get the USB Connections in the notifications tray.  (My phone connected perfectly to my friend's computer that is already set up with his Atrix phone, so the hardware in the phone and the cable are functioning.)  When troubleshooting, I found the following page:
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/72739/p/1449,8119/se...
and on it are descriptions and screen shots of the Motocast USB program and instructions on what to do if the phone is not recognized.
The first instruction is, "If MotoCast USB does not launch automatically, select the When device connects... Launch MotoCast USB from the MotoCast phone icon  in the Mac menu bar or Windows system tray. "  I do not have that option so I can not choose it .

Furthermore, if I click on MotoCast web access, i can log in just fine but when the screen is displayed on my monitor (music tab)
, all the words within the frame are superimposed on each other and crowded on the far left margin. 

If I try to see the phone by going to Computer - all of my USB ports appear empty (I have 4, none register the phone - again the cable and phone will connect to a friend's computer so no hardware issue).  My computer has no issue with my cameras, external drives, memory cards, etc.  
My only option is to remove the SD card in the phone, put it into my computer, download music files, the replace into phone. 
That does not seem like a smart phone to me.   This seems like a software issue to me.  All my calls into the help system has the agents telling me to send my phone in to be serviced even though I can prove all the hardware works.
Please help.   

WWAN
Message 7 of 29 (48 Views)

So what I'm understanding is that when you plug your phone into your computer via usb, nothing happens.  What operating system are you on?  Does the phone enumerate usb mode without MotoCast installed on your computer?

802.11n
Message 8 of 29 (48 Views)

paraDroid:

To add to Ca's questions:

- Which version of MotoCast is installed on your computer? 

- Where did you install MotoCast from?

- Which options do appear from the MotoCast phone icon (since "Launch MotoCast USB" does not appear).

What's DOS?
Message 9 of 29 (48 Views)

I have Vista on my computer.  I believe this is the issue as I have had many many issues with Vista trying to run various programs. 

I do not know what you mean by, "Does the phone enumerate usb mode without MotoCast installed on your computer?".  What does this mean?????

I just installed the most recent version of MotoCast (ver 1.2.9) from the Motorola website:

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/78830/p/30,6720,7898

The options I get are the following:

When right clicking on the icon in the bottom menubar-

MotoCast wireless settings

status idle

MotoCast web access

check for updates

help

about MotoCast

exit

When right clicking on the MotoCast icon in the start menu-

open

open file location

run as administrator

scan with ESET NOD  (my anti virus software)

advanced options

pin to start menu

add to quick launch

send to

copy

remove from this list

rename

properties

Last night I spent hours going through similar cases in the forum.  This seems to be a prevalent issue as there were way too many connectivity issues with MotoCast to read them all.
I did see that the Java environment sometimes conflicts with MotoCast.  The suggestion was to uninstall Java, MotoCast and the driver, then reinstall them all with the most current versions.
I did performed these actions:  Uninstalled MotoCast, uninstalled MotoHelper Driver 5.5.0, and uninstalled Java.   According to the thread I read on your forum, it suggested to load MotoCast and the driver then Java.  However I received an error when trying to load MotoCast saying that a Java operating environment is required to install MotoCast.  So I cancelled the MotoCast install, then installed the most recent version of Java, then loaded the MotoCast and MotoHelper dirver. 
This had the net effect of nothing.  I still am unable to get the computer to recognize the Atrix phone.   Futhermore, when I try to open the web version of MotoCast, I still get the display I provided in the previous screenshot, the display is formatted wrong with the words written on top of each other and on the extreme left margin.

802.11n
Message 10 of 29 (48 Views)

paraDroid said:

I have Vista on my computer.  I believe this is the issue as I have had many many issues with Vista trying to run various programs. 

I do not know what you mean by, "Does the phone enumerate usb mode without MotoCast installed on your computer?".  What does this mean?????

I just installed the most recent version of MotoCast (ver 1.2.9) from the Motorola website:

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/78830/p/30,6720,7898

The options I get are the following:

When right clicking on the icon in the bottom menubar-

MotoCast wireless settings

status idle

MotoCast web access

check for updates

help

about MotoCast

exit

When right clicking on the MotoCast icon in the start menu-

open

open file location

run as administrator

scan with ESET NOD  (my anti virus software)

advanced options

pin to start menu

add to quick launch

send to

copy

remove from this list

rename

properties

On your Atrix, is USB debugging enabled in the following setting?:

Settings > Applications > Development

If it is, please disable and see if that helps. If not, then:

Regarding Vista, do you have Vista Service Pack 3 installed?  We have seen issues with Vista PCs that do not have Service Pack 3.

Regarding the MotoCast icons:  There are two different MotoCast icons that appear in the PC taskbar/system tray. Please see the attached screenshot (this is from a Mac but the icons look the same). The second icon from the left is the MotoCast icon that should always appear whether or not your device is connected by USB cable. The icon on the far left is the MotoCast phone icon (sometimes called MotoHelper) that only appears when you connect your device by USB cable. Does this icon appear when you connect?  As you can see in the screenshot, this is the icon that has the menu that should include "Launch MotoCast USB".

top kudoed posts