Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WraithTDK
Blue Screen Again
Views: 681
Message 1 of 7

Motocast USB doesn't won't start with Windows 8

I can't get Motocast USB/MediaLink to start automaticaly with Windows 8. The system try icon isn't there (the motocast wireless icon is, but not the USB icon), and it won't start when I plug in my Atrix 2. I have to manually go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Motorola Media Link\Lite and start MML.exe to get it to run. Not a huge inconvenience, as I've created a desktop shortcut, but it'd be nice to have a fix anyway.

Highlighted
rcole_sooner
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 7

Re: Motocast USB doesn't won't start with Windows 8

This post saved me a lot of frustration.  I got a new Windows 8 laptop and Motocast would not launch Motocast USB when I connected my phone.  I spent 2 days on the phone with AT&T and Motorola to no avail.  They blamed everything for the problem, from my cable to my laptop.

Simply creating a desktop shortcut to the MML.EXE is actually a very good solution, and I don't even have to have Motocast running.

Thank you!!!

PaigeP
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 7

Thank you from me too. My Motocast had been working fine on Windows 8 but when the 8/1 upgrade installed last week, poof, no MotoCast. Your directions were perfect and I've got a shortcut on the desktop now too. 

PaigeP

MissAmandaCakes
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 7

Saved me such a headache and nightmare too!!!! Thanks for the awesome tip!!!! 

19PC
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the shortcut workaround.

However, I am wanting to use my Defy Plus in Tethering Mode and, having connected the phone, as soon as I check the 'Tethering' box, MotoCast USB disconnects.

In the old "Motorola Phone Tools' software, the facility to tether was included.  

Can anyone help me with this new (to me) phone, with which "Motorola Phone Tools' is not compatible?

Paul

WraithTDK
Blue Screen Again
Message 6 of 7

19PC said:

Thanks for the shortcut workaround.

However, I am wanting to use my Defy Plus in Tethering Mode and, having connected the phone, as soon as I check the 'Tethering' box, MotoCast USB disconnects.

In the old "Motorola Phone Tools' software, the facility to tether was included.  

Can anyone help me with this new (to me) phone, with which "Motorola Phone Tools' is not compatible?

Paul

View original

To the best of my knowledge, tethering is not a function of Motocast USB. Tethering with Defy is via Wi-Fi. Your phone generates a Wi-Fi signal that your computer connects to, just as it would with a wireless router.

19PC
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for the response.

During the last few hours, I have discovered the same thing.  Sorry to have wasted everyone's time.

I have now succeeded in tethering directly to the laptop, using both the 'Tethering' (USB) and the 'Hotspot' (WiFi) options.