Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r2e
What's DOS?
Views: 315
Message 1 of 6

suggested improvements

I'm trying to find the proper forum for discussing proposed changes with the application developers of Motorola Assist. Lacking more information, I'll post here, hoping that somebody can redirect as necessary.

• "Driving" by bluetooth without GPS. The ability to better distinguish driving by using bluetooth connections is a great idea, even if it has not yet done anything for me (I guess it's still learning my driving and bluetooth patterns). However, I typically have GPS disabled but would like to be able to determine "I'm driving" by bluetooth in the absence of GPS (i.e., manually deselect GPS as a required contributor to the logic).

I believe that the hard-coded mandate of GPS is to have this mode fully automatic, potentially reducing distracted driving. I like that. I think pairing with specific bluetooth devices maintains that spirit without compromising the automatic nature of it, and may make it more appealing to people who do not want to have GPS running all of the time.

• "Meeting" limited to specific calendars. I have several caldav calendars visible in my calendar app, many of which are merely informational. However, the Assist app equally treats all calendars as gospel. Is it possible to limit which calendars are used to determine my meeting status? (Also, is it possible to require other meeting participants?)

With the current implementation, I am unfortunately "irritated" into disabling it: when I find that my phone has switched to silent mode and I have missed a call because somebody *else* is in a meeting, I am frustrated by the alternative of frequently having to verify that my phone is not in silent mode. That undermines the convenience factor significantly.

• Overrides for modes. You have the option to say "I'm not in a meeting," for example, that manually overrides the triggers to get OUT of a mode. Is it possible to manually override the triggers to get INTO a mode? It would probably require the user to manually get out as well, since the triggers are obviously not agreeing with what the user wants at that moment.

• Android Intents. I use the Tasker app a bit and would like to be able to trigger the Driving or Meeting mode via other mechanisms. Vice asking you to put in all sorts of logic for me to apply triggers (overkill for the average user), is it possible for your app to publish your intents so that Tasker (and Locale, among others) can (i) see when your application has switched to a different mode (Driving, Meeting, or Sleeping); and (ii) set the mode itself, regardless of the Assist app has detected for triggers. (I confess that I'm not an experienced android app programmer, so I may not have the verbiage correct.) This one is possibly a little difficult to implement without #3 (overrides for modes) above, since allowing (ii) would be overriding the trigger-based logic.

(Moto X with KitKat v4.4 and Assist 1.3.15.)

Highlighted
golfe
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 6

Re: suggested improvements

I will also post suggests for Motorola Assist (Moto X with KitKat v4.4 and Assist 1.3.15.):

• "Meeting" - I would like to see the functionality of this aspect of Motorola Assist (MA) be enhanced slightly for people who work, but do not use a Moto X calendar synchronized with a work calendar.  Essentially, I would like a simple setting much like in "Sleeping" where I can define the start time and end time of the work day (plus an option for selecting specific days of the week); for me it is unacceptable for my phone to ring during the work day, regardless of whether or not I'm in a meeting, but I would still like to silently receive calls.  In addition to silencing the phone during a defined period, I do not require WiFi services or Bluetooth services.  So, the option to disable those services during working hours would also be beneficial.  I realize that I can manually turn all these off during the work period, but it would be great to automate that function without having to download another application to handle it, e.g., Tasker or similar.  It seems like a natural extension for Motorola Assist.

ATXGrant
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 6

My suggestion also centers around Meeting. Driving and Sleeping work perfectly for me and couldn't be happier with those.

• "Meeting" - I have an issue where my calendar isn't fully syncing. I don't really see this as Assist's fault though. I have a Google account that's tied to my work email and administered through work IT. I can only share my work Google Calendar with non-work email addresses (e.g. my personal Gmail account) in a "viewing" mode and not full admin permissions. I can see all my work meetings and the event details in my personal Google Calendar but this doesn't propagate to Assist. I know I could probably figure out a way to copy/sync directly with my Google Calendar but it would be nice if Assist had it built in where you could tell it which calendars to pay attention to.

Chubby88
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 6

How about adding more features?  Driving, Meeting and Sleep are great but how about all the things that were taken away by Smart Actions.  I used to have my phone features turning on and off at different times and places.  3rd party software just doesn't compare.

Tai_89-
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 6

I have an idea for Motorola Asist with new function I want to add called " Alarm".

For example: I set the alarm for 6:00 am. When clock it 6:00 am, Motorola assist is activated and say something like " Good morning (Tai)! It's time to wake up. Say "ignore" to stop alarm" in 3 times. If I wake up, I will say "Ignore" to stop the alarm. If I still in sleeping I after 3 times the phone say it will switch to alarm sound until I wake up.

Just share the Idea.

Thanks

GayzeN
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 6

"Driving" by bluetooth without GPS. The ability to better distinguish driving by using bluetooth connections is a great idea, even if it has not yet done anything for me (I guess it's still learning my driving and bluetooth patterns). However, I typically have GPS disabled but would like to be able to determine "I'm driving" by bluetooth in the absence of GPS (i.e., manually deselect GPS as a required contributor to the logic).

I believe that the hard-coded mandate of GPS is to have this mode fully automatic, potentially reducing distracted driving. I like that. I think pairing with specific bluetooth devices maintains that spirit without compromising the automatic nature of it, and may make it more appealing to people who do not want to have GPS running all of the time.

I know this thread is a year old, but since My Motospeak stopped functioning, I would love to second, third and fourth the suggestion to allow us to use Assist without the battery drain, data drain, and other negatives caused by having to have GPS running all the time. It makes no sense that we don't have an option to switch on Driving Mode by activating bluetooth in the car. I see no reason for making GPS/Location services mandatory. Flipping open my headset boom used to work for My Motospeak, why can't they add the option into Assist?

As it is, Assist has so many reported issues (data drain, battery drain among the big complaints) that I haven't even utilized the app. If I could use Driving Mode without having to have my GPS running all the time, I'd give it a try.