Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TimTurbo
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,956
Message 1 of 16

Is the Motorola Keylink No More?

Since there is not a forum for the Motorola Keylink and as it does use Motorola Connect I thought that this would be the best place to post this.

I have one Motorola Keylink and think its a great little jewel of design and engineering. I've been wanting to order another but the Keylink page has shown them as "Out of Stock" for a few months now. Today I went to check the Keylink page stored as a favorite and found that I end up on the Main Accessory page and the Keylink is not listed there. Googleing for Motorola Keylink still has the page cached and it also takes me to the Main Accessory page.

Has the Keylink met its demise? Has it been struck from production and be no longer available?

crying

Hopefully someone from Motorola will see this and be able to tell us!

BeepBoop
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 16

Re: Is the Motorola Keylink No More?

I too use and like the Keylink.  You can pick them up at T-mobile stores.  BTW, have you had any trouble with yours beeping for no reason?

aegyptos
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 16

After attempting to ping my keys the Keylink let out a pathetic beep till, I assume, the battery died. I'm going to try and change the battery then hope for the best. I don't see it listed on Motorola's support page. A friend of mine had his beep for seemingly no reason. 

BeepBoop
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 16

I had the same problem.  Beeped until battery died.  The connected to a trusted device icon kept showing and disappearing which makes me think my Droid Turbo was looping between connecting and disconnecting.  Hoping a fix is in the works.

JasonvandeLaar
Broadband 3G
Message 5 of 16

Per this article the Keylink is not discontinued, Motorola is just waiting to replenish stock: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/02/motorola-keylink-not-discontinued-will-return-in-the-next-few-weeks... 

Jason van de Laar
tardis131
Paper Tape
Message 6 of 16

JasonvandeLaar said:

Per this article the Keylink is not discontinued, Motorola is just waiting to replenish stock: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/02/motorola-keylink-not-discontinued-will-return-in-the-next-few-weeks... 

View original

Thanks for the link. I'm waiting to order a couple these, too.

TimTurbo
Broadband 3G
Message 7 of 16

The original article in Droid Life was published on Jan 31, 2015, ubergizmo's on Feb 1, 2015 and we are well past the few weeks that both articles mention. From what I've seen when Motorola is out of stock with a product, the products website is changed so that the "Add to cart" is replaced with "Out of stock" so that the product can not be ordered. See the attached image for the Moto Skip which is currently out of stock.

Thus the statement that "Orders would be backlogged" is poppycock! As someone who operates a corporate website myself, the only time a page is taken down is when we've decided that a product will no longer be available. If we are out of inventory, we do the same thing that Motorola does. We still advertise the product and simply show it "Out of stock". A much easier change than removing its webpage altogether.

If the intent was to continue producing the product wouldn't a company want to continue to advertise it?

TimTurbo
Broadband 3G
Message 8 of 16

BeepBoop said:

I too use and like the Keylink.  You can pick them up at T-mobile stores.  BTW, have you had any trouble with yours beeping for no reason?

View original

It appears that the Keylink is no longer available on T-mobile's website or in their stores. I've stopped by a few in the area and was told that they do not have any in stock nor do thay have any on order.

I haven't had any any trouble with mine beeping for no reason although it appears that some were sold with defective/poor batteries. My wifes Keylink did start randomly beeping and we replaced the battery. Since then it has been behaving normally.

Replacing the battery should resolve the issue.

JasonvandeLaar
Broadband 3G
Message 9 of 16

As a work around I ended up buying a power pack micro (yes, extra money over the stand alone key link), so now I have a back-up battery which also includes the key link feature. I received it last week and so far it is working well. At 13% capacity on my phone I was able to charge to about 50% using the power pack micro. 

Jason van de Laar
TimTurbo
Broadband 3G
Message 10 of 16

JasonvandeLaar said:

As a work around I ended up buying a power pack micro (yes, extra money over the stand alone key link), so now I have a back-up battery which also includes the key link feature. I received it last week and so far it is working well. At 13% capacity on my phone I was able to charge to about 50% using the power pack micro.

View original

I  picked up a Power Pack Micro when the Keylink went missing from the Motorola website. I really like the Micro in that I can charge my Droid Turbo's 3900mah battery to  near 100% with a single charge of the Micro. I also like that it doesn't use a button battery. Its Keylink feature works well and I have not had any issues with it. It's only downfall is its size and weight as its quite a bit larger than the Keylink and makes my already bulky keychain even more bulkier. wink

I passed my original Keylink to my wife to use as a location finder for the TV remote control that the kids seem to lose daily. lol laugh