Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMotorola Milestone™ A854 (CDMA)
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

05-23-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 3

Motorola Software Update

2011-05-23, 1:25 AM

I used Motorola Software Update, it said there was an update for my phone (milestone A854), I the proceeded to to the update following all instructions and all seemed well, but then when the phone restarted it says "Activate your phone" I click the activate button and I hear a recording that says

"I'm sorry, your call cannot be completed as dialed, please hang up and try your call again."

Then it says "Problem with activation" and a button "Try again"  It is just a continual loop.

I can also hit the home button and it goes there, but when I try and dial any phone number it says the number is not in service. It also shows bars but no data service.

From what I gather from limited threads on Google, is that this is the Verizon activation system, the problem is, the phone IS NOT a Verizon phone, it is from a local wireless carrier GCI here in Alaska, and when I call them they have no clue what I am talking about.

I have tried factory resets, removing the battery, retrying the system update.  I have not nor ever rooted this phone, so there is no way for me to restore the old setup to my knowledge, please help!

Options

1 Posts

06-13-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

Re: Motorola Software Update

2011-06-13, 16:12 PM

I am having the same problem and I reported it to alltel and they sent me out a new phone and the phone i recieved in return has the same issue

Options

1 Posts

06-16-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 3

Re: Motorola Software Update

2011-06-16, 18:02 PM

The update available for the Motorola Milestone A854 via the Motorola Software Update was likely a minor version update to Android 2.1 rather than Android 2.2. I made the same mistake, an update was available but I clicked NEXT rather than CANCEL. The update process started immediately rather than prompting "Are you sure?" What Motorola does not state (clearly) about the Motorola Software Update process is that it makes the phone 'factory fresh'...it is restored to the state that the cell phone provider receives the product from Motorola. This is why the activation message pops up. You will need to take it back to your provider to have it re-activate and programmed with the APN information. I found this all out when I took my phone back to my provider for reprogramming. Unfortuneately, Motorola does not keep the providers up to date on the software and firmware releases any better than the end users. This is really frustrating.

Will Motorola update the Milestone A854 to Android 2.2? I'm just not sure. The update availability page states NO, but when you click into the Milestone A853 info page we are directed to the A854 model. Motorola promised 2.2 for 'all' Milestones, yet there is no solid information on this. The Android news sites have even announced 2.2 for all Milestones, but yet there is still no solid information. Again, this is very frustrating!

I was interested in purchasing a Motorola Xoom. After all the of empty promises and lack of support with my Milestone A854 and also looking at how the Xoom support site is not much better in providing solid timelines for support fixes and updates, I'm not going to consider a Xoom until the support information is above lackluster.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms