cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Big changes to the Motorola Feedback Network
Motorola Admin

A couple of years ago we had this idea. What if we had a group of volunteer owners who we could call on for feedback on software, how they use their phones, and for details on a variety of issues? Since we first put out the call for volunteers, the registration count for the Motorola Feedback Network has climbed to more than 20,000 -- looks like it was a pretty good idea!

However, those processes we started with were not designed for such numbers, and that's been a problem. Outdated phone models and serial numbers were hard to update, typos could ruin your participation, and the recruiting system was always breaking down.

So we've changed it. Here are some important things to know if you want to become, or continue as, a member of the Motorola Feedback Network (MFN).

1. Now, the only way to register is through your forum profile. This can be done when you sign up for a forum membership, or by visiting your profile here on the site. (Click on your own name to get there.) You will see this at the top of your profile - click the links there to register:

2. As a result of this change, only forums members will be able to participate in tests and projects. While this has always been a rule of the MFN, the links to register were often passed on to non-members. Soon, you won't be able to sign up without signing in.

3. The new registration process will also require that you submit a valid serial number (MEID, etc.). If you don't, you can still be a forums member, but you can't be in the MFN. We need that number to push software, etc., and this way we know it's valid going in. (The other good news is that if you switch phones you can now keep your information up to date so we always have what we need.)

4. To remain a member in good standing, you will have to provide feedback. In the past, some percentage of owners signed up for software tests, etc., and then "took the software and ran" without providing us with comments or survey responses. Even though it isn't a huge number of people, we really just want to work with those who keep their commitments. We understand that a member may miss once in awhile so this will only effect those who never or rarely give feedback.

Another advantage of the change is that you can register multiple devices on your profile and indicate which of those you want included in the MFN. On our end, we think it will make it much, much easier to generate lists of owners, send invitations, start and end test groups and compile survey results.

We hope that everyone who has previously signed up for the Motorola Feedback Network will re-up using this new process. If you have registered before but have not yet updated your membership here on the forums, we will invite you to do so with an email sometime in the near future. Or, just click into your profile and do it now.

We will have a transition period. During the next few months, we will include those signed up through our old method and those using the new method.

The information collected by the Motorola Feedback Network is of tremendous value and we appreciate the amazing participation we've enjoyed. Looking forward to more of the same going forward.

Thanks!

- Matt

Click here to leave comments.

237 Comments
What's DOS?

I appreciate the update to the new process. I hope it helps speed along updates. I'm always looking forward to the latest and greatest Motorola has to offer. Smiley Happy

Motorola Admin

Thanks, snooyods.

I also want to mention that during this transition, it's likely owners will be invited to soaks for phones they are no longer using. If you are signed up with a Droid 2 on our old registration list, and with a Droid 4 here on the forums, you will probably get an invitation to both Droid 2 and Droid 4 soaks for some period of time. Just ignore the ones that don't interest you.

What's DOS?

Great to be here! As a first time smart/android phone user, I thank you for expanding your program to accomodate more owners. I LOVE my Photon 4G and Motorola in general as my first ever celly in 2006 was a Hello Moto!!! I still say it mostly to confused looks. Is this natural and if so when did Hello Moto go out? What is the age break??? JK, Thanks again.....LOVE*PEACE

Token Ring
 My only comment is that I cannot participate in the MFN if I'm not provided an update to test. I certainly had expected to have been given an opportunity but the Triumph seems to be the device that no one is championing thank you for all you've done Matt but I think the company wishes us owners of the Triumph didn't exist.
What's DOS?

Matt,

Your IT folks impair your process.

• First: Update Contact Information / Motorola Feedback Network Participation Preference

• Second: Register Your Motorola Products and Opt-in

Step 1 is done.  Problem is step 2.  I go to the search box at the top of the web page, start typing in "registration" and select the "Product Registration" entry in the ensuing pop-up list.  That selection takes me to the "Support Registration" page.

2nd issue:  Aside from keeping a personal record, how does one know what products one has registered with you?  I have doggedly clicked around your site, to the point where I'm about to give up and say it is not possible to gain this info.

Thanks.

Motorola Admin

Thanks for the feedback. We're taking a look to see where we can improve the flow so you don't have to search for the registration option. It's there but we will make it more prominant.

You will be able to see your registered products soon.

What's DOS?

I have no idea how to join this program.  I don't have any links at the top of my profile or see anything that allows me to opt-in to the program.  I think I have tried every tab, link, and page in my profile area but don't see it.  How do I join?

Thanks! 

Motorola Admin

gadgetie said:

I have no idea how to join this program.  I don't have any links at the top of my profile or see anything that allows me to opt-in to the program.  I think I have tried every tab, link, and page in my profile area but don't see it.  How do I join?

Thanks! 

Yoinks! Something happened to the links! Sorry about that - we will get it fixed ASAP.

What's DOS?

Thanks

What's DOS?

Registered and ready... LET THE SOAKS BEGIN!!! LOL!!! =0)

What's DOS?

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

gadgetie said:

Thanks! 

Yoinks! Something happened to the links! Sorry about that - we will get it fixed ASAP.

THanks!  How do I know that I am registered?  I used both links and filled out the forms but I don't see my registered devices or anything.  Just checking that I'm all set....or not.

What's DOS?

Great if you can send me the UK Xoom update to test please?

What's DOS?

This is a brilliant opportunity to contribute. Cool

What's DOS?
On the soaks... we need to fill out the survey sent out after the software correct??? Or is there something else we have to do??? Just want to be sure  if i understand correctly. Thanx!!
What's DOS?
 i tried to opt in with the new setup... everything went fine except that when i got to register my device and enter my password... it says my password is wrong. I even tried resetting my password. I was correct on my password... someone has entered something wrong in that area. Please look into it.
What's DOS?
 new to forums. Just got my razr from my bionic. Fully optd in and glad to help out motorola..
What's DOS?
If you are attempting to update your profile via mobile browser it's a bit tricky. I found it a lot easier using Firefox browser.
What's DOS?

Give me the opportunity I will provide more feedback than you need.  I will be happy to provide a day by day account of how things worked.

Razr.........Verizon

What's DOS?

Smile Finally geting ICS. Pretty siked. I am hoping that Android can soon be on the same page as iOS in terms of software updates rolling out. they seem to be uniform with Apple. 

What's DOS?

Doesn't look like there's any way to view/manage the devices we register with the new method?

Moto Sr Moderator

I'm in (hopefully)!  It was absolutely painless for me last time, and hopefully it will be this time, too!  Love being a guinea pig!

What's DOS?

Frown Haven't gotten any email for my new Razr. I did get one like a month ago or so for my old Droid X, but I no longer have that one so I ignored it. Has anyone else got an email for there Razr off the new forums yet? I only have my Razr registered now, so hopefuly the system doesn't skip my new phone for emails. 

What's DOS?

ocdtrekkie said:

Doesn't look like there's any way to view/manage the devices we register with the new method?

I agree...I'm ready btw!!

Cheers

What's DOS?

I recently upgraded from Droid X to RAZR/MAXX and have updated my info in this forum. I've participated in soak tests for the Droid X and am available to do so on the MAXX as well. Is it too late to get an invite for the current soak test?

What's DOS?

I'm thinking about buying a Maxx, will I need to re-register my device, or is the software exactly the same for the Razr and Maxx? Can't wait to test out the new software and help you guys make it the best experience for everyone!

What's DOS?

glaurung said:

I'm thinking about buying a Maxx, will I need to re-register my device, or is the software exactly the same for the Razr and Maxx? Can't wait to test out the new software and help you guys make it the best experience for everyone!

My understanding is that the Maxx is exactly the same as the Razr, with the exception of the new, high-capacity battery. Therefore, its software is exactly the same.

However, if you upgrade to a Maxx, your new phone will have a new serial number, which should be changed in this forum, particularly if you wish to participate in feedback.

btw, I think the Maxx is truly one of the best phones I have ever had. I had originally upgraded to the Samsung Nexus. After 3 days of frustration with the signal, I returned the unit to Verizon. Although I loved ICS on the Nexus, the problems with signal quality were so severe that I could not persevere with the unit any longer. My experiences with the Maxx are only positive, and I can't wait to get ICS on it too.

Good Luck

What's DOS?

With the recent rumored ICS update reported through a leaked Best Buy Email coming April 4th I'm wondering how much of a soak test will there be. I guess the key is rumored and leaked.

I'm anxiously awaiting the update. I upgraded to HTC Rezound about a month ago but decided to go back to my old friend MOTO and swapped for the RAZR MAXX. I'm glad I did. MOTO build quality is hard to beat and ICS looks very promising.

Come on soak test. I'm ready to provide feedback.

What's DOS?

I just updated my registration and would like to repeat the request for a page to view and manage which devices have been registered.  Also I think I have reported this in the past, but the information for physical address only has these  three fields:

Street

City

Postal Code

Please add additional fields such as:

Street 2 (for apartment/suite numbers)

City (how did this field get omitted?)

What's DOS?

I got email for the soak test like 3 days ago. I also had a Droid X before, to which it still sent me an email for software testing with the last update to the Droid X back in Feb. 

But yes, the Droid Razr and Maxx are the exact same phone, with longer batter. No change in anthing software or hardware related other than that. 

I would advise everyone to NOT install any Roms within the life that a phone is still being supported by the manufacturer or Carrier. There is not reason too. ALL ROMS cantain bugs, that require muiliple wipes of your device over and over, debending on the bug or fix's. I am staying stock on the Droid Razr for a long while. Software always runs better that way. 

My email for the soak came like a day and a half later. So I would fill out the forms, than wait. Thinking any minute now it will come rolling out OTA. 

Just remember to come back here to report bugs or clitches. - Also, respect the privacy of the testing phase until its officially out. 

Moto Sr Moderator

baillard said:

I just updated my registration and would like to repeat the request for a page to view and manage which devices have been registered.  Also I think I have reported this in the past, but the information for physical address only has these  three fields:

Street

City

Postal Code

Please add additional fields such as:

Street 2 (for apartment/suite numbers)

City (how did this field get omitted?)

When you click your name at the top of any forum page, it brings you to your profile.  After you click your name, there's a yellow bar at the top with four bullet points.  The fourth bullet point has a link that takes you to the Motorola Product Registration page where you click the image of the type of product you want to register and doing that leads you to the next page which asks for the product serial number.  The profile page itself lists which devices you have registered.  I see my phone, its serial number, my carrier, blank fields for the tablet I don't own, the country I live in, the fact that I don't own a MOTOACTV device, and that I do have a Lapdock 100.  It works that way whether I use my PC or my phone to access the website.  Also, I see a field for city, it's state that isn't there, but the combination of city and zip (postal code) would pinpoint a location in the US.  If you're not seeing what I see (with your info, of course), you may need to clear your browser cache because it's entirely possible that the cache is serving up stale versions of the web page.  In the phone's stock browser, hit the menu button, More, Settings, scroll down to Privacy settings, and touch the Clear all button (note that you will lose saved passwords as well).  If you're on a PC, the different browsers hide that setting in different places, but wherever the Tools are, you can poke around and find it.  I know from memory that in IE it's in the Tools menu, Internet Options, Browsing History.  Sorry to be so wordy, especially if it didn't help...

What's DOS?

ok, i was signed up and got email for last soak, but never actually got soak. So i just re-did my razr on hear, (i think i did what i needed to lol), so hear is hoping i will be able to participate. Is there anyway to double check to make sure i'm signed in for soaks and feedback? my device # is correct on my profile, is this all i need to check?

What's DOS?

No, i don't think there is. There is nothing, and no one on these boards other than a handful of people. The whole board is cumbersom at this point wiht little direction other than a post by moderator Matt every few months. Its completely ghost town in here man. The best you can do is fill everything out and sit back. I got my email 4 days ago now. Still no word, or emails about anything. Figured it would have happened by now honstestly. But Maybe later today it will hit my phone. Instagram came out today, so that will keep me busy and holding off for the another day Cool

Moto Sr Moderator

Journalistically said:

No, i don't think there is. There is nothing, and no one on these boards other than a handful of people. The whole board is cumbersom at this point wiht little direction other than a post by moderator Matt every few months. Its completely ghost town in here man. The best you can do is fill everything out and sit back. I got my email 4 days ago now. Still no word, or emails about anything. Figured it would have happened by now honstestly. But Maybe later today it will hit my phone. Instagram came out today, so that will keep me busy and holding off for the another day Cool

The think that the correct answer to shizumie's question is that filling out your profile and registering your phone is not quite enough to become a member of the MFN.  You have to specifically opt-in to the MFN during the profile creation process (or later on, if you didn't when you signed up) and agree to the confidentiality agreement.  I would also add that a lot of people get a lot of help from these boards every single day.  This is a user forum, not a Moto help site.  The sole purpose of this forum is to provide a place where users can ask each other for help.  The moderators' job is to monitor what's going on to make sure we're not violating any of the terms we agreed to when we joined.  That's not to say that the forum managers don't jump in when they recognize that there's an issue that needs to be brought to the attention of Moto's developers.  I have personnally been helped more than once, and many others, I think, can attest to the fact that many problems have been solved by the efforts of users going out of their way to help other users.  These forums always have activity, and in the last week, it has really been hot.  

What's DOS?

crystallet said:

Journalistically said:

The think that the correct answer to shizumie's question is that filling out your profile and registering your phone is not quite enough to become a member of the MFN.  You have to specifically opt-in to the MFN during the profile creation process (or later on, if you didn't when you signed up) and agree to the confidentiality agreement.  I would also add that a lot of people get a lot of help from these boards every single day.  This is a user forum, not a Moto help site.  The sole purpose of this forum is to provide a place where users can ask each other for help.  The moderators' job is to monitor what's going on to make sure we're not violating any of the terms we agreed to when we joined.  That's not to say that the forum managers don't jump in when they recognize that there's an issue that needs to be brought to the attention of Moto's developers.  I have personnally been helped more than once, and many others, I think, can attest to the fact that many problems have been solved by the efforts of users going out of their way to help other users.  These forums always have activity, and in the last week, it has really been hot.  

Thanks Crystallet... How would i go about opting in?  like i said i was for last soak, got email, but never got pushed, then this time nothing. Just wanna make sure i'm in and all is right so i can participate in future.

Moto Sr Moderator

When you click your name at the top of any forum page, it will bring you to your profile, and you should see a yellow bar with four bullets.  The third bullet will take you straight to opt-in preferences and contact information.  Please note that at the same time you opt-in to the MFN, you're also agreeing to abide by the confidentiality agreement.  As more and more people are saying in this form, the first rule of fight club is you don't talk about fight club!  Smile

What's DOS?

Weird,

I registered a Defy+ with S/N, but it says "Defy" in my profile...Surprised

What's DOS?
Hope of new life to your old android Device.
http://vishalkarde.blogspot.in/2012/03/hope-of-new-life-to-your-old-android.html
What's DOS?

how far ahead of time do you have to be registered for it or what is the deadline on signing up to recieve the soak.....i thought i had been registered for the last soak ...i would love to give feed back for this stuff i work for verizon so i see things everyday that could help benifit motorola in a lot of ways!!!  thanks all!!!

What's DOS?

motoseb said:

Weird,

I registered a Defy+ with S/N, but it says "Defy" in my profile...Surprised

Hope of new life to your old android Device.
http://vishalkarde.blogspot.in/2012/03/hope-of-new-life-to-your-old-android.html
What's DOS?

Hi guys just signed up today. When I typed in my meid, the system couldn't find it. Is there another way to submit this?

Thanks!

Moto Sr Moderator

Did you use the hex number?  It should be 14 digits.  *#06# will bring the hex & dec numbers up.

What's DOS?

Looks good.  count me in.  Cool

What's DOS?

Matt,

I've re-registered as required. Have been selected to participate in the previous 2 pre-soak tests. At the end of the latest soak, the link Mark sent to me for the survey and comments did not work. I sent several messages to Mark and left comments on the private forum used for that pupose, but never heard back from anyone... Hope I'm not left out for not completing my Survey...

Also, I tried to register my Lapdock, but the registration page did not like the serial # on that device, so I just entered the EMEI from my phone... Hmmmm..

What's DOS?

Hey Matt...Thank you for providing detailed steps on re-signing up for software testing.  Do you know how often they update the upgrade news website (https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c )?

Thanks!

Motorola Admin

I was on vacation last week, so sorry for the lack of responses.

The upgrade news site is updated when there is a reason to do so, which is a true if not particularly satisfying answer.

We try to hold registrations to the last possible moment -- that is, right before we need to give people the chance to opt in. Some of the changes we're making, like those announced in my blog post above, will let us extend that deadline even further. But there IS a deadline that we have to impose at some point.

For those of you who have mentioned links that don't work or missing soaks, these are likely specific to you or we would have noticed them. For example, we have people who, under our old system, would sign up for MFN projects but said "No" to responding to surveys or to the confidentiality agreement. So they get excluded. Or, you may have a typo in your email address. The change to our new system will reduce or eliminate issues like those.

What's DOS?

Matt, what about the inability to see which phones and tablets we have registered? It'd be great to see a list of all the phones and tablets we have registered on our account, the ability to mark them as active or inactive, and a BIG GREEN CHECKMARK for each saying "MFN Participant" or some such, that makes it clear that everything is in order for that device as far as the surveys and agreements and such.

Motorola Admin

ocdtrekkie said:

Matt, what about the inability to see which phones and tablets we have registered? It'd be great to see a list of all the phones and tablets we have registered on our account, the ability to mark them as active or inactive, and a BIG GREEN CHECKMARK for each saying "MFN Participant" or some such, that makes it clear that everything is in order for that device as far as the surveys and agreements and such.

That's the plan. Was supposed to be in place by now but apparently it's delayed.

What's DOS?

Thanks Matt this new site was easy to add device and get setup etc. If people cant figure it out maybe they shouldnt do soak tests neither.  LOL.  Your directions where clear and concise !!

What's DOS?

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

I was on vacation last week, so sorry for the lack of responses.

The upgrade news site is updated when there is a reason to do so, which is a true if not particularly satisfying answer.

We try to hold registrations to the last possible moment -- that is, right before we need to give people the chance to opt in. Some of the changes we're making, like those announced in my blog post above, will let us extend that deadline even further. But there IS a deadline that we have to impose at some point.

For those of you who have mentioned links that don't work or missing soaks, these are likely specific to you or we would have noticed them. For example, we have people who, under our old system, would sign up for MFN projects but said "No" to responding to surveys or to the confidentiality agreement. So they get excluded. Or, you may have a typo in your email address. The change to our new system will reduce or eliminate issues like those.

Thanks for the info Matt. Hope you have a great vacation!

What's DOS?
 Thanks for giving us an outlet for our voice and committing to putting out great products.
Top Kudoed Posts