cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Maps update -- have you seen it yet?
Motorola Admin

Google Maps is getting an update -- I see it on one of my phones (Droid RAZR HD Maxx) but not the others yet. I had to download the updated app, then open Maps for the change to take place. (On RAZR M, the update has not yet caused a change on the device -- Google Play says it will roll out over a few weeks.)

As a result of the change, the old blue arrow Navigation app was removed from my app drawer. I've been using Maps and Google Now to launch navigation for some time, and I guess that's great for me since I don't miss Navigation, but maybe not for you if you do.

Since I didn't use Navigation much, the only thing missing I noticed is the Contacts menu, that shows addresses from your People list. 

The new maps has a new Explore option that shows you nearby locations in different categories -- Eat, Drink, Shop, etc. You can rate these sites and see the ratings of others. Or at least that is the intention since I can't figure out how to access any reviews that don't show up automatically on the app. Anyone figured that out?

Here's a new video on the new Google Maps. Comments, tips, or opinions on the new Maps?

(Ahh, I see my Droid RAZR is updated...)

[Sorry - video embed isn't playing nicely. Go here to see it until I figure this out, please.]

Want to comment? Click here!

23 Comments
Moto Emeritus
Yes I noticed that the check-in feature disappeared within Google Maps. There was an email received that Google Latitude was closing down about August 9th but was surprised check-in disappeared already.  Haven't tried it in Google+ yet. Navigation icon still appearing in my app tray as of right now. 
~Mark
What's DOS?

I got the Google Maps update on my Droid HD MAXX - the Maps shortcut I had in a folder disappeared, though the updated Maps was on my device.

My biggest problem with the new Google Maps is I can't locate "My Maps".

In the previous version of Maps, I would click on the layers icon and select "My Maps". Now I don't see a layers button and can't find "My Maps".

The primary way I used Maps was to save a location from Google Maps on my computer to a custom map, say "NYC Restaurants". Then, from my phone, I would open Maps, then open "My Maps", "NYC Restaurants" and choose my previously saved location.

Now I see some of my recently saved items, but don't see my custom maps.

Is anyone else observing the same behavior? Is this operator error? Smiley Happy

What's DOS?

Oh - regarding my previous post above about not finding "My Maps" on the new update:

Here's a quote from an article regarding the new Maps update:

"My Maps is gone (but it will be coming back)."

I found the article to be very informative, it lists the author's observations of what's new, what's changed, and what's gone.

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/12/whats-really-new-in-google-maps-for-android-7-0-a-lot-heres-our-massive-unofficial-changelog/

What's DOS?

I've seen and don't like it. I use to use Google Nav's map feature (without setting up a destination) as I drove and found it quite useful. It was a birds eye view and the street names would be in a large format that would be easy to see. I also activiated the traffice layer. Now that'a all gone. I keep uninstalling the update so I can resume using Google Nav as I've mentioned above. Hope Google goes back to the previous version, I liked it much better.

Motorola Admin

sparky57 said:

I've seen and don't like it. I use to use Google Nav's map feature (without setting up a destination) as I drove and found it quite useful. It was a birds eye view and the street names would be in a large format that would be easy to see. I also activiated the traffice layer. Now that'a all gone. I keep uninstalling the update so I can resume using Google Nav as I've mentioned above. Hope Google goes back to the previous version, I liked it much better.

View original

You can still do that. Just open Maps and you can follow your progress. There is a little menu trigger on the lower left corner and if you open that you can click Traffic.

I admit using the new Nav takes some getting used to.

Token Ring

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

sparky57 said:

View original

You can still do that. Just open Maps and you can follow your progress. There is a little menu trigger on the lower left corner and if you open that you can click Traffic.

I admit using the new Nav takes some getting used to.

View original

I'm not usually fond of having a user interface that I'm comfortable with changed around as much as this update. That being said I've suffered through enoungh versions of Windows "improvements" that I just calm myself down and start digging to find the new ways to do what I need to do. Somehow the Android updates don't seem as jarring as many of the others.

What's DOS?

I got the update today but after using it for ~an hour any time I open maps my xoom reboots. I've tried clearing the maps cache but still no luck. Any recommendation's on how to resolve this?

Moto Sr Moderator

bew said:

I got the update today but after using it for ~an hour any time I open maps my xoom reboots. I've tried clearing the maps cache but still no luck. Any recommendation's on how to resolve this?

View original

Have you tried running it in Safe mode? if that is of no help than you can always go into Manage Apps>All>Maps>Uninstall updates. You won't have an up to date app, but at least it will be usable and not crash the Xoom. Hope this helps.

What's DOS?

joelbon said:

bew said:

View original

Have you tried running it in Safe mode? if that is of no help than you can always go into Manage Apps>All>Maps>Uninstall updates. You won't have an up to date app, but at least it will be usable and not crash the Xoom. Hope this helps.

View original

Thanks Joelbon, 

I have tried rolling back the update but it still reboots anytime I open maps

Moto Sr Moderator
How about in safe mode?
What's DOS?

Thanks Joelbon, 

I have not tried safemode yet. I've found that the camera app and a car locator app is doing the same thing now too so I think it may have something to do with GPS or the location services so I am going to sit down tonight and wipe my Xoom. I want to say I saw an update come down releated to location services when maps updated but I was not paying attention. My xoom has gotten a little bloated with useless apps anyway so it's about time. 

What's DOS?

Just in case anybody is keeping score I  wiped the device and started with a fresh install. All is working as expected now.

Moto Sr Moderator

bew said:

Just in case anybody is keeping score I  wiped the device and started with a fresh install. All is working as expected now.

View original

That's awesome. Sometimes it is easier to wipe and start over than it is to troubleshoot and figure out the root cause. It can be exhausting. Glad that you are up and running again.

What's DOS?

joelbon said:

That's awesome. Sometimes it is easier to wipe and start over than it is to troubleshoot and figure out the root cause. It can be exhausting. Glad that you are up and running again.

View original

Thanks Joelbon, 

Concur, when time permits finding the root cause is always more rewarding but some times all it has to do is work. 
What's DOS?

I always used the Navigation icon in vehicle mode on my RAZR HD and it worked fine. But yesterday I went to use it and I ended up with a different screen that started off asking where I wanted to navigate from. That's already one extra task than before and it would be reasonable to assume that you're navigating from your current location. I was pressed for time so I relied on my memory to get where I needed to go.

Then I looked through the details today while in the office and set my home and work addresses then set up to navigate home. No problems initially, it came up with the correct route and I was off. Then the trouble started. The old system had some simple options on the bottom tool bar to exit navigation, turn voice on/off etc. You could do all these while driving. These simple options are no longer there. The time to destination is also gone now. I'm sure there's may more shortcomings of the new system that I'll find the next time I try to use it.

In summary a system that worked perfectly has been upgraded to a piece of crap.

What's DOS?

I was probably more annoyed about how it was rolled out than with the changes to the app itself.  Like many of you, I allow automatic updates and hadn't used it for a couple of weeks.  Then I went to enable it this past weekend to get a route to the airport and...no Nav icon...and no longer in the app drawer.  Naturally, knowing nothing, at first I assumed I'd deleted it accidentally.  Eventually, I figured out what happened and went to Maps.  Then, I'm faced with a new interface I'm not used to using.  This is not the way one wants to familiarize themselves with a completely reworked app.

Most of the features I use were relatively easy to relearn, so that's good.  For some reason, the darn thing crashes a lot and I have to restart it - while driving.  But, I'll stick with it and wait for updates, which will likely stabilize it.

The one thing that I really don't like is the way it forces me to enable Google Locations (which continues to track my location even when apps are not in use).  Way to continue to develop more ways to invade my privacy, Google...

But, as some will probably point out, the app is free and I don't have to use it.  I agree and am thinking of using Waze instead.  Still thinking about it...

Moto Sr Moderator

Skates12 said:

I was probably more annoyed about how it was rolled out than with the changes to the app itself.  Like many of you, I allow automatic updates and hadn't used it for a couple of weeks.  Then I went to enable it this past weekend to get a route to the airport and...no Nav icon...and no longer in the app drawer.  Naturally, knowing nothing, at first I assumed I'd deleted it accidentally.  Eventually, I figured out what happened and went to Maps.  Then, I'm faced with a new interface I'm not used to using.  This is not the way one wants to familiarize themselves with a completely reworked app.

Most of the features I use were relatively easy to relearn, so that's good.  For some reason, the darn thing crashes a lot and I have to restart it - while driving.  But, I'll stick with it and wait for updates, which will likely stabilize it.

The one thing that I really don't like is the way it forces me to enable Google Locations (which continues to track my location even when apps are not in use).  Way to continue to develop more ways to invade my privacy, Google...

But, as some will probably point out, the app is free and I don't have to use it.  I agree and am thinking of using Waze instead.  Still thinking about it...

View original

You always have the option of going to Settings>Apps>All>Maps>Uninstall updates. This will revert it back to how it was before, if that is what you prefer. If you do this than I also suggest that you go to Play store>My apps>Maps and deselect Automatic update. Hope this helps.

What's DOS?

Yes, thanks for pointing out the other option.  I've only used it a couple of times since the update, so I'll test it out for a while.

Punch Card

I'm not a fan of the new layout mainly because I used the Navigation only and this update has one major flaw, it's woefully inaccurate as far as describing the distances of an upcoming destination. If you test it on a place you already know how to get to you'll see what I mean.

What's DOS?
Yeah the new maps is more fluid and classy in style. Material design simply rocks Smiley Happy . So I can say safely I don't miss the old maps Smiley Tongue
What's DOS?

Got the map update...looks awesome

What's DOS?
Plz add gujarati language in my moto g 2nd generation..
Moto Sr Moderator

hiren said:

Plz add gujarati language in my moto g 2nd generation..View original

If you are talking about getting the language for Maps then you need to talk to Google. If you are talking about getting the language for the phone itself then you should be posting this in the Moto G 2nd Gen community. This the wrong place to be asking about this. Thank you.

Top Kudoed Posts