cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Software Upgrade News page gets a makeover
Motorola Admin

The Software Upgrade News page has been among the most-visited pages on our site, so it's a good bet many will be interested in this change.

The new, improved, global Upgrade News tool is much more detailed than our "list" version. Navigate to your geographic region to find up-to-date news about the Android operating system version for your Motorola phone or tablet, around the world.

Just select your region/country, Motorola Android device and carrier to find information specific to you.

Click here to leave comments.

42 Comments
Token Ring

Looks real good.  My one complaint is that it takes a lot more steps to find the information I am looking for.  The old page had everything right there and then.  The other problem with the new one is that it doest say when it was last updated.  There was a degree of excitement to see that that page had been updated hoping that the status of my device, a droid bionic, would have more information.  So is life but i think people might apprecaiate it if Motorola could bring back the "last updated" line.  Looks good otherwise though.

What's DOS?

Okay in concept, but the executionit failed. If I select AT&T and the Atrix 2 it reports the the phone will remain on Gingerbread, whereas the table on the right about the Trade Up program has The Atrix 2 remaining on ICS, which has been available since late 2012.

What's DOS?

Now that's a big improvement, but it could be better: type in your IMEI and get the result. I bought my phone in the UK and use it in the Netherlands (with a Dutch SIM). After a few questions to the helpdesk@custhelp the right answer came, and was based on the IMEI: I was told that the IMEI was 'Brittish', so I will get the JB update. Someday.

But one question remains: wether a phone gets JB or not, why is there a difference for retail-phones sold in the Netherlands and sold in the UK?

Motorola Admin

null

Looks real good.  My one complaint is that it takes a lot more steps to find the information I am looking for.  The old page had everything right there and then.  The other problem with the new one is that it doest say when it was last updated.  There was a degree of excitement to see that that page had been updated hoping that the status of my device, a droid bionic, would have more information.  So is life but i think people might apprecaiate it if Motorola could bring back the "last updated" line.  Looks good otherwise though.

View original

Thanks. We obviously could do it the other way, in a list, but there are literally hundreds of variations of phones, regions and carriers. The page would go on forever and that was not a workable solution.

I'll pass on your thought about "last updated" -- it's a good one. Thanks.

Motorola Admin

null

Okay in concept, but the executionit failed. If I select AT&T and the Atrix 2 it reports the the phone will remain on Gingerbread, whereas the table on the right about the Trade Up program has The Atrix 2 remaining on ICS, which has been available since late 2012.

View original

We're working through some errors in the listings and appreciate any reports like this one. Again, with so many moving parts I guess we missed a few items despite several rounds of checking.

Motorola Admin

null

Now that's a big improvement, but it could be better: type in your IMEI and get the result. I bought my phone in the UK and use it in the Netherlands (with a Dutch SIM). After a few questions to the helpdesk@custhelp the right answer came, and was based on the IMEI: I was told that the IMEI was 'Brittish', so I will get the JB update. Someday.

But one question remains: wether a phone gets JB or not, why is there a difference for retail-phones sold in the Netherlands and sold in the UK?

View original

We did consider the IMEI; in fact, the system may have been simpler to deploy since we have something similar already in place for internal and support use. However, there are some cases where identifying a serial number is not a slam-dunk for technical reasons I won't go into. In those cases we would have to return some kind of special "we can't find that number" message and that may have been a good reason to go a different direction.

It's also true that finding and entering your IMEI is not the easiest thing in the world. One the other hand, it may not be a chore for the people who are most interested in this information.

This is the method we went with but your suggestion has merit. I can see many ways that this could evolve using the serial number.

As for your other question, I'm not really qualified to answer it. There are a lot of moving parts for software upgrades. We are trying to remove as much of that variation as possible but I suspect that it won't happen overnight.

What's DOS?

You could consider making an App for that ;-) An app that can pickup the phones IMEI automagicaly. And the carrier. And whatever.

What's DOS?

rr

What's DOS?

much more helpful than before and i think easier navigate as well.

Fanfold Paper

Worrying that my carrier here in the UK isn't mentioned....Virgin...unless it comes under retail.

My current ICS version is 81.5.39001.XT890.Retail.en.GB

What's DOS?
I think it was a much needed excellent update. Thank you.
What's DOS?

(Matt: Seems I lost my rating/points from the soak test forum ;-)

LSS
802.11n

Matt,  I noticed the changes to the Software Upgrade Notice page on the 22nd.

I even clicked on the link "Receive emails when software updates are available for your device."

Strangely enough, this opened a support ticket where they asked me to "Please provide the exact issue that you have and how we can help you."

Is this how the link is supposed to work?

Motorola Admin

Nope. Let me look into this.

LSS
802.11n

If you need the incident number, I can provide that for you.

Motorola Admin

Thanks -- I think I would like it.

Motorola Admin

null

(Matt: Seems I lost my rating/points from the soak test forum ;-)

View original

Did you create a brand-new forums membership? Looks like it.

LSS
802.11n

null

View original

MD_US_EN_Software_Upgrade_Reg [Incident: 130223-000406]

What's DOS?

O, yes, maybe, because I was excommunicated form the soak test forum. Haha.

What's DOS?

But I will keep on rating myself.

Motorola Admin

null

O, yes, maybe, because I was excommunicated form the soak test forum. Haha.

View original

I don't understand, but I'd rather you went back to your previous membership. Please do.

What's DOS?

OK. Done.

What's DOS?
I think the new layout of ok.
Motorola Admin

null

null

View original

View original

I see it. It looks like this was a problem right after we cut over to the new page, but it was fixed almost immediately after you checked it out. Now it has you register your phone and email address and doesn't open a ticket. Thanks for bringing it up.

Fanfold Paper

Matt Seeing a couple of things on here. One  i got the above opened a support incident email. lol Which i'm sure is a glitch. But the wording on the first page was a tad misunderstood. It said to pick where you purchased your phone, But i think a better wording would be to Choose your carier or provider. I could be on Verizon and purchase my phone at Walmart, But walmart isn't going to dictate updates, Verizon is. I knew what it meant but others could misunderstand, Especially when one of the options was Retail at the bottom.

Second issue i had was that i could only pick one phone at a time. I have three devices currently and had to do each individually. While that is nice to see at a glance one indivudally, It makes it hard to see multiple devices because you have to scroll back up the page to select a new one and down the page to see the update status. 

I think i would also like the ability to see update information on my phone from my profile. I already register my devices on the forum, so being able to go into my profile, and see my devices would allow me to quickly see my devices, plus i could click an option to receive an email notification when any new information regarding updates was released on each device individually.

What's DOS?

Very good update. It looks very good and it flows and functions very well. 

LSS
802.11n

null

null

null

View original

View original

I see it. It looks like this was a problem right after we cut over to the new page, but it was fixed almost immediately after you checked it out. Now it has you register your phone and email address and doesn't open a ticket. Thanks for bringing it up.

View original

You're welcome.

I know that at work, I like to get feedback on potential issues also so I thought I would do the same here.

What's DOS?

I can't find my razr xt910 listed when choosing my country as Egypt.

What's DOS?

You can use the country where you bought the phone. Did you buy it in Egypt?

What's DOS?
Yes I bought from Egypt mobile shop
What's DOS?

I bought my phone in a UK webshop and use it in the Netherlands.

For the 'nationality' of the phone I have to use the information under 'Systemversion'

which ends in 'XT910.Retail.en.EU'

which makes it a Brittish phone.

(Motorola UK told me this, based on the IMEI)

What's DOS?
I bought it from Egypt but that is a screenshot for my system
What's DOS?

MiddleEast Retail? Imported from Saudi Arabia or UAE?

What's DOS?
That was really helpful I checked for both and you were right but sadly "This device will remain on Android 4.0.4 (ICS)"
What's DOS?

I own Xoom 2 10'1.Can you please tell me why in some countries at the update page says"This device is currently running Android 4.0.4 (ICS). Stay tuned for an upgrade decision." and in others says"This device will remain on Android 4.0.4 (ICS)".Why is that?Models are the same (MZ615).Please don't make discriminations at countries.Not very nice.

What's DOS?

Why did they kill ability to send "group" emails and texts with the latest jellybean upgrade?

What's DOS?

When will we be getting JB ( xt910) here in Canada under Rogers ? Rrrrrrr

What's DOS?

New update took away the ability to send text or email via Groups!  Why take a feature away to update the phone?  If it is not broke do not fix it!

What's DOS?

I have never been so angry at an update before, changed all contact info no longer supports multiple cell phones in contacts or at least that you can voice dial. voice quality dropped, phone no longer works in areas of low coverage. 

Can't even get answer on how they group by time in gallery some span couple years, other days, others weeks

removed motoprint imagine you use phone for work you may want to print. 

what were they smoking when they designed it. I myself have been hardcore NO Iphone but might switch this week

What's DOS?

disculpen, ando buscando el software del motorola Ex 225 MOTOKEY si me la pudieran adquirir se los agradeceria, gracias.

What's DOS?
Sir wen will I get my lollipop update on my device
Moto Sr Moderator
What does it say on the upgrade page?? There is no specific date. No one knows when, only what the page States. 
Top Kudoed Posts