Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
The DIY Movement - why not for your phone?
Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
‎07-20-2016 01:04 PM

9128539803_2fd5b4694e_z.jpg

One thing you learn when you spend enough time on forums like this one -- there are many basic troubleshooting steps one can attempt to address most issues. Clearing cache, checking functions in Safe Mode, etc., are all tried-and-true ways to either solve a problem or narrow it down so it can be solved.

None of these troubleshooting steps are difficult (I can do them, which proves it) but they are not generally the first thing that springs to mind. So, we made a series of videos. We know folks are not exactly in love with the idea of calling a call center for help and thought, well, if you were a good agent, what would you recommend? 

There are four short videos that walk through basic trouble-shooting -- here's the list:

• Powercycle
  • Reset app preferences
  • Hard reset / Forced reboot
  • Clear cache (multiple methods)
  • Test in Safe Mode
  • Factory Data Reset

(There is a fifth video that shows how to do some of these actions from the fastboot menu vs. the phone Settings. Coming soon!)

Of course, this is a one-size-fits-all approach that we know won't address all situations. So we're working on additional videos on topics like audio issues, Bluetooth and Wifi, and why phones get warm and what to do about it.

If you want to check out our first four DIY vidoes, please do -- they are here on YouTube. We're eager to hear your feedback on these videos and ideas on future efforts. Thanks!

(photo courtesy of Maciej Wojnicki and flickr.com / https://www.flickr.com/photos/mananasoko/)

32 Comments
brianhardy
802.11n

This is a great idea! 

Motorola Admin

Thanks, Brian! Would love some help spreading the word.

obiwan2000
802.11n

Great Idea Matt ! 

This is the perfect addition/replacement for the somewhat watered down user guides we get nowadays that never seem to go into much detail.

brianhardy
802.11n

Your welcome.  And I'm on it :-)

SalimAwad
802.11n
Shared and pinned on our G+ community!
Motorola Admin

Thanks SalimAwad! Can I get a link please?

SalimAwad
802.11n
sandyfrog
What's DOS?

my phone got nocked over by the wind one day i was at work. the screen cracked and i can't use my phone on half of the screen. the bottom half doesn't work. so i was using and the play store went off my phone so my husband tried to do a factory reset on my phone. it worked till i got to the screen that said select languageand i did but then it has a yellow arrow under it and i can't get it to work everything else works but that. how can i get around that

Motorola Admin

sandyfrog, can you post in the community for your phone? It does sound like it's going to need to be repaired for a fee.

Motorola Admin
sajokaz
Bit Torrent

I missed this post earlier, this is pretty cool in my opinion.  Seems like a great way to share some basic Android info and simple steps to work through basic issues.  I will try to share as much as possible.  Good job!  Smiley Happy

AnandBR
SCSI Port

The videos are very helpful in understanding basic troubleshooters. 

mardin
Paper Tape

when the motorola bring the moto x 2013 after that every one liked the size of phone and even apple compane released the iphone 6 with the siize of 4.7 and i think its a the best size of phones 

Hoshang
WWAN
I watched all videos. I have suggestion, Moto team should uodate video procedure according to Marshmallow UI. All these video are based on Lollipop. And in Clearing Cache, team should include clearing Cache partition steps as well. And In FDR, external reset procedure should be included. Else, all steps are clear and easily understandable.
tusharjindal353
What's DOS?
How to get moto launch invite for media or fans .i want an invite for the moto launch held on sept 19
vermaravi21
What's DOS?

Plz make available screen cast simple like another phone on moto g4 plus

charliegreck89
What's DOS?

Quiero liberar mi moto g

d610user
What's DOS?

Hi, not sure if this is the right area for this question....

I purchased a used XT1540 from a thrift store. I did the full factory reset/delete all user data ect. I tried to do the setup but it would not accept my gmail account. I do not have the previous owners account information. Someone on another forum said I had to wait 72 hours for it to work. It's been 80 hours and I still can not get it to accept my gmail account. Do I have to wait 72 hours without trying to connect to gmail. Or is the phone locked for 72 hours.

Thanks for any info.

Kevin

Sad1012
What's DOS?

Gallery is missing in Moto E³ power. N camera's settings are missing also. N there's lots of bugs. Please update these, fix them. We required a update of these bugs fast. 

Thanks

MauricioMuchut
Punch Card

I'm not receiver up date to my G4 Plus. Why?

turjyasaha
SCSI Port

Phone app-problem didn't solve.

#Matt, Please do some for me.

Thanks in advance

pandashovan
Paper Tape

Does Moto z play supports volte in India? Kindly clarify.

Suren_Beniwal
Punch Card
Moto e3 is great phone just need update
IndranilBag
Paper Tape

Very much tired about my Moto g4 plus. Having the phone about 3.5 months, I think my mobile is a worst phone in my life. The phone has comes under a serving for solving one reason ( skin replacement) , it shows another 2 problem. One is touch problem when plugged in for charging( YouTube link- https://youtu.be/qJ8QcFLOIKM ) and another is back camera, the camera doesn't autofocused, always a blurred image. Plz do something @Moto_IND .
I am very much tired for all of these.

IMG_20161129_183934.jpg

Sridharandharan
What's DOS?

When will I receive nougat update for Moto g4 plus in India

Suren_Beniwal
Punch Card
Hard Reset menu in Chinese language , how can i reset moto e³power
Pawanv
Paper Tape

Hi Matt,

Doeas your solution help in getting applications updated and google app working on Moto G4 plus android 7.0?

sayantan88
Punch Card

Great.....

farsiray
Token Ring

Awesome Blog!

Srinivasbabu
What's DOS?

My motog 4 plus  was slipped and fell down and the screen was damaged but udio was perfect. After replacing the screen, there is no audio at all...how can I resolve..I tried all the troubleshooting methods and went to the shop where screen was changed..he was unable to rectify...

Motoxplaysachin
What's DOS?

Hi i am using moto x play i live in india. I buy moto x play on Feb 2016 but after completing 1 year my phone motherboard giving issue in microphone and media sound also not playing then I go to service center. After checking my phone they reply motherboard of your phone have to replace and cost 9500rs. I am very disappointed after this only 1.2 year before I buy and I this big loss i am facing

I request you give me proper solution to overcome this problem in reasonable cost

Thanks 

Sachin pawar

India maharashtra

sriven
Paper Tape

iam also  facing the exact problem pls help me...my motog4 plus suddenly switch off many times