cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
What's in Android 6.0?
Motorola Admin

With the official release of Android 6.0, the Internet is rich with reports of new Android M features. As usual with Android, the announced features address both the broad (battery life) and narrow (support for creating and performing music). Time will tell which features stand the test of time and which do not.

Motorola has released a list of phones that will get the update to Android 6.0 and it's posted here. Phones not on the list may still be on the radar for updates containing bug fixes, security patches and updates to Lollipop, but won't move beyond Lollipop.

We're going to be testing M soon, but in the meantime, we are not above shamelessly feasting on information we've found elsewhere, as we work on adapting it for Motorola devices. 

So far, the best resource I've found is Google's own site for Android 6.0. It runs through the major features with particular focus on Doze (better battery life), On Tap (get relevant information on-demand and fast) more control over security and app permissions. Be sure to click the "All Features" menu on the right to get information on additional features.

Other articles we like, from a little information to TMI:

What changes in Android 6.0 are you most interested in?

Want to comment? Click here.

191 Comments
What's DOS?

Whoa.  So you guys are doing away with Moto Assist?

What's DOS?
Waiting for the OTA...Cheers!!
HDMI
Re: Drive mode from Moto Assist

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/108264

"Driving and Places - To allow your phone to read your messages and calls out loud while you are driving or when you are at a specific location, open the Moto app, then tap the icon on the top right corner of the screen, go to Voice and select Talk to me."

Will the phone still know when you're driving or will it need to be activated every time?
What's DOS?

no 2013 Moto X?

WWAN
I'm glad to be a Motorola phone owner and I can say proudly, yes it was my best decision to get Moto g2 and soon will get Moto X play.... I'm happy we will get 6.0 update, a well refined and polished update of Android with tonnes of bug fixed and some new features..... Hope we will get soak invitation soon in coming months, and think it will be best gift from Motorola to get 6.0 to eligible device till end of year as Christmas gift..... Best of luck Forum manager Matt, Tom and Alphadog and whole Motorola team.....
Broadband 3G

I'll be waiting patiently as usual to see it become available for the Droid Turbo! yes

Thanks for the update Matt! smiley

What's DOS?

Ehm Moto G 4G (XT1039) was released summer 2014 and it's not getting an upgrade to 6.0?

Talk about Lenovo screwing over current Motorola customers. It's a pretty dissapointing move, considering 2gen Moto G 4G has the exact same CPU and memory as Moto G 4G (XT1039).

What's DOS?

Another reason I am getting an iPhone this year. Sick of the lack of updates.

What's DOS?

Motorola were supposed to be the safe choice if you wanted good support for updates, but I guess the new owners screwed that deal. The only option now is Nexus phones, so long Motorola.

Moto Sr Moderator

I 2nd the question on Assist Driving Mode.  Will it still trigger when we get on the road like it does now?  Or do we have to say "Talk to Me?"

Broadband 3G

Erroneus said:

Ehm Moto G 4G (XT1039) was released summer 2014 and it's not getting an upgrade to 6.0?

Talk about Lenovo screwing over current Motorola customers. It's a pretty dissapointing move, considering 2gen Moto G 4G has the exact same CPU and memory as Moto G 4G (XT1039).

View original

Here are the phones slated for Android 6 Marshmallow... It appears that both the 2014 Moto G 4G LTE and Moto G (2nd Gens) will be getting it.

• 2015 Moto X Pure Edition (3rd gen)

• 2015 Moto X Style (3rd gen)

• 2015 Moto X Play

• 2015 Moto G (3rd gen)

• 2014 Moto X Pure Edition in the US (2nd gen)

• 2014 Moto X in Latin America, Europe and Asia2 (2nd gen)

• 2014 Moto G and Moto G with 4G LTE2 (2nd gen)

• DROID Turbo

• 2014 Moto MAXX

• 2014 Moto Turbo

• Nexus 6

Broadband 3G

eaccents said:

I 2nd the question on Assist Driving Mode.  Will it still trigger when we get on the road like it does now?  Or do we have to say "Talk to Me?"

View original

I'll third the question and comment that I like it the way it works now! cool

What's DOS?

Why no update for Moto X (1er) ? two years ago it was high-end !! and is a expensive mobile.

It has more features than Moto G! Motorola really bad.

What's DOS?

TimTurbo said:

Erroneus said:

View original

Here are the phones slated for Android 6 Marshmallow... It appears that both the 2014 Moto G 4G LTE and Moto G (2nd Gens) will be getting it.

• 2015 Moto X Play

• 2015 Moto G (3rd gen)

• DROID Turbo

• 2014 Moto MAXX

• 2014 Moto Turbo

• Nexus 6

View original

I hope you are right, it's just that if you check Motorol's own upgrade site and choose the Moto G 4G (1st gen), it only says Lollipop and if you eg. chooses Moto G 3rd gen, it say Android 6.0. I hope it's just because they haven't updated the site, but the sentence "2014 Moto G and Moto G with 4G LTE2 (2nd gen)" looks to me they mean Moto G 2nd gen and Moto G 4G 2nd gen.

Broadband 3G

rinoaX said:

Why no update for Moto X (1er) ? two years ago it was high-end !! and is a expensive mobile.

View original

The XT1050s and XT1060s were released August of 2013 and now three years old. Today most contacts are two year and most manufacturers and carriers are only supporting phones for two years from the date of release. And most people are upgrading their phones every two years when their contracts elapse. It seems to be the way of everything ..."Planned obsolescence". sad

Broadband 3G

Erroneus said:

TimTurbo said:

Erroneus said:

View original

• 2015 Moto X Play

• 2015 Moto G (3rd gen)

• DROID Turbo

• 2014 Moto MAXX

• 2014 Moto Turbo

• Nexus 6

View original

I hope you are right, it's just that if you check Motorol's own upgrade site and choose the Moto G 4G (1st gen), it only says Lollipop and if you eg. chooses Moto G 3rd gen, it say Android 6.0. I hope it's just because they haven't updated the site, but the sentence "2014 Moto G and Moto G with 4G LTE (2nd gen)" looks to me they mean Moto G 2nd gen and Moto G 4G 2nd gen.

View original

This was released by - Bjorn Kilburn, Motorola VP, Software Product Management.

You can comfirm it here.. On the Official Motorola Blog! So they probably have simply not updated the site for the Moto G (2nd Gens). yes

What's DOS?

I think its crazy they will not upgrade carrier phones from the Moto X 2014 to M.

What's DOS?

What about the Moto option to read out texts and announce phone calls when at home (or a certain location)? Or allow me to answer a call when driving just using my voice? As far as I know, this isn't part of the Android M update. 

What's DOS?
Matt could you confirm, is the MOTO G 1st gen 4g lte (xt1039) gonna get android 6.0 because it says 2014 moto G and the MOTO G 1st gen lte was released in 2014. I just want to make sure because I'm really confused at the moment
What's DOS?

Remospad said:

Matt could you confirm, is the MOTO G 1st gen 4g lte (xt1039) gonna get android 6.0 because it says 2014 moto G and the MOTO G 1st gen lte was released in 2014. I just want to make sure because I'm really confused at the momentView original

Yes please, that would be nice and I hope it's the case, kinda expting it for a phone which was released summer 2014.

Punch Card

I seriously doubt the Moto G 1st gen 4G LTE (xt1039) will get Android 6.0 even though it's only just over one year old and has essentially the same specs as the 2nd gen G 4G LTE, due to the fact Motorola haven't even released 5.1.1 to it yet.

Androidheadlines have said "They made clear that this is a preliminary list, so some things might change." They should update it but probably won't, IMO frown

What's DOS?

Exactly why I just made the switch to iPhone after being an Android guy since it's inception. Motorola, you should apologize to Google for driving people away from Android. 

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2988954/android/motorola-android-upgrades.html

What's DOS?

Not updating 1 year old phones.  Almost bought this latest phone you put out glad i didnt.    Not updating phones out for 1 year?  PATHETIC! Especially since you used updates as a reason to buy the phones. At least we know know this isnt us motorola anymore., It now communist made so im sure this is only the start of the screwing people will get from motorola.  I hope motorola makes you change your mobile department name, as you will bring down the reputation of the us based competent company.

What's DOS?
What's DOS?
Not updating a 1 year old phone, regardless of carriers, is not a good customer retention strategy. I bought the Moto X 2014 2 weeks ago and will be pursuing a refund. Pretty unbelievable.
What's DOS?

Why Motorola is neglecting older devices like Moto g 1st Gen and Moto X 1st gen,which was a huge success and make way to the company's come back .But considering the phone Moto g 2nd Gen for Marshmallow which has same hardware as Moto g 1st Gen and neglecting Moto g 1st Gen is not a good move at all.

What's DOS?

I have hear you are not going to update Moto X 2nd generation on Verizon or ATT. This is awful. Why not?

Moto Sr Moderator

I don't know what the reason for the decision is, but I suspect the full reason consists of proprietary information that can't be released to the public.

I have a 2014 X that won't be upgraded to Marshmallow, and I am extremely disappointed about it.  But I know that the people at Motorola did not make this decision lightly and that they knew just how negative their customers' responses would be.  I can only think that there must have been a very good reason for it.  But that's just MHO.

What's DOS?
I understand they have their reasons, but some type of explanation would be
nice.
Inquiring minds want to know :)
What's DOS?
No reason for no update moto x 2013. Have more memory and procesor that any moto g or moto e. Moto x is the hight end of motorola
What's DOS?
If no update for my moto x ghost....good bye moto. The reason for buy a expensive moto x was the updates.
What's DOS?
Moto x ghost = > 300 € = no update to 5.1.1 and no 6 = patetic
Punch Card
Multiuser support was omitted from Lollipop, will it be included in M?
What's DOS?

This is massively disappointing Motorola. You are turning into every other cell phone manufacturer and dropping support on phones just a year into their lifetime. You are still selling phones on your own website as well as through different carriers that you won't be updating? How can any company with any sense of ethics discontinue updating devices that they are still selling to consumer? BOOOO!

The really sad part is that I really enjoy my Verizon Moto X and am massively disappointed I won't be receiving further updates. I owned Nexus devices for years and switched with the original Moto X as well as owning a Moto G and a Moto E along the way. You guys makes phones that I really like but at this point I won't be buying another Moto device.

You can come up with whatever excuses you want but not keeping more of your phones up to date is simply unacceptable. I really hope you receive massive amount of negative feedback on this news and change your plans to encompass updates for as many of your phones as possible.

Paper Tape

Motorola has gone too far this time. Not updating flagship phones released one year ago is completely unacceptable.  I am now stuck with Android 5.1 on my Verizon Moto X 2014 until I can upgrade in 20 months.

And I don't think that those of us who were affected by this are going to quiet down. SMH
What's DOS?
Motorola are laughing their customers
Customers that paid for phones that said high-endlike the moto x and now whitout reason not updated.
What's DOS?

I have a Moto X 2nd Gen that I bought from Verizon in March 2015, six months after it was released. Now you're saying that the model has been abandoned. I've had Motorola phones since the clamshell one I got when cell phones were so novel that having one made you an object of curiosity. This will be the last one. From what I'm seeing in online forums, I'm far from the only customer you've lost. 

What's DOS?

The only feature in 6.0 that I wanted was the ability to selectively approve permissions requested by apps. That should be standard on ANY phone as a matter of privacy and security. If you're going to ignore one of your "flagship" phones (Moto X 2nd Gen), at least add this feature to whatever updates you deign to provide. There should be regulations that restrain companies from putting out an expensive product and then refusing to stand behind it. Lacking that, the court of public opinion is going to do that for you very nicely. 

What's DOS?

Although this can't be an excuse, at least there is some reason not to upgrade the Moto E and the original Moto X: they use different hardware (compared to the devices that are upgraded) and upgrades would therefore be fairly expensive (although probably still cheap, compared to what they will lose, or rather not earn, now) .

But why on earth are they not upgrading the first gen. Moto G (and 4G LTE)? Their hardware is almost identical to the second gen.

Though I doubt it, I very much hope someone from Lenovo reads this. The thing I REALLY don't understand is, Lenovo bought Motorola, AFAIK, because they wanted a well known and trusted brand to sell their phones on the North American and European market. And now, one year and 2.9 billion dollars later, they seem to, for no reason whatsoever, try, as hard as they can, to destroy all of that. I don't get it; what is Lenovo's plan behind this? Is there any? Or are they just blind to what Motorola is doing? If so, heck, wake up!

Paper Tape

TimTurbo said:

rinoaX said:

View original

The XT1050s and XT1060s were released August of 2013 and now three years old. Today most contacts are two year and most manufacturers and carriers are only supporting phones for two years from the date of release. And most people are upgrading their phones every two years when their contracts elapse. It seems to be the way of everything ..."Planned obsolescence". sad

View original

I'll accept this for 2013 phones, but the carrier versions of the Moto X 2014 will not be updated to Lollipop.  So now Moto phones can be obsolete after one year?

What's DOS?

Can this be added to my ancient Motorola Xoom?

Token Ring

Not bringing this to carrier versions is pathetic.  Matt, tell your bosses that they are morons.  Is this 2011 and I bought a photon???  I'm so pissed.

What's DOS?
It mean that moto g1st gen XT1033 didn't get android M.this is so sad that Motorola had forgotten the device which gave the rebirth to MOTOROLA in the smart phones world this was so sad to hear.
Token Ring

The motorola we used to know is not there anymore after Lenevo purchased it.

How can motorola ditched their most popular Phone Moto G 1st gen ? 

& Now some of the expensive & not so old Device is not going to get the update too. Wtf?

The saddest part Moto E 2nd gen  which is very new also not going to get the M.(I recomend moto E 2nd Gen to many of my friends & they also purchased it due to the quick software update & near stock experience & now what i am going to say to them ?) Seriouly Motorola what are you thinking ??

Slowly slowly motorola is becaming just like other manufacturer like samsung.

Whatever the reason Motorola is ditching their newer & also the Popular Device such as Moto E 2nd Gen & Moto G 1st Gen & some other expensive device , Users will not going take it lightly.

It was my biggest  mistake that i recomened my friends Motorola Device.

And also i will not buy anymore moto device as The Motorola we used to know for faster  & Gurrenteed update is became someting else. 

What's DOS?
I think there's still time to change the view of Motorola. If they escape by simply saying the device hardware is not compatible with the software then how will moto g2 as the same build as of moto g1 & moto e2 won't support the software the position of Motorola as of before moto G1 repeats again as it loses customer satisfaction & support
Paper Tape
What's DOS?

I got a Moto G XT1040 in June from Videotron in Montreal, because I wanted a compact phone with a good display. It's on a 2 year contract, and they assured me it would get all Android updates for at least the first year. I since got the 5.1 update. The phone has the same internal specs as the 2nd gen, so why has Moto not listed it for the 6.0 update? Do they want to see how many owners complain, and then maybe add it? I'm also wondering if this violates Moto's agreements with their service providers.

Moto Sr Moderator

When it comes to contracts, companies don't typically violate any agreement unilaterally unless they're hungry for some nasty litigation.

Since the provider typically holds the control when it comes to whether or not an update rides on their network, I would suspect it's the other way around.  

Paper Tape
What's DOS?

The XT1050s and XT1060s were released August of 2013 and now three years old. Today most contacts are two year and most manufacturers and carriers are only supporting phones for two years from the date of release. And most people are upgrading their phones every two years when their contracts elapse. It seems to be the way of everything ..."Planned obsolescence". sad

august 2013 to now is 2 years not 3.

and its the 2014 phones that are not being updated that is the problem here, This tels you that they will not even update 1 year old phones , so unless you dont want updates past 1 year dont buy from motorola(chinese) anymore.

Top Kudoed Posts