03-31-2015

Colombia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 5

Does Nexus-6 on Proj Fi roam outside coverage

2015-05-14, 21:17 PM

Voice calls on Nexus-6 over Google Project Fi apparently gracefully degrade from Wi-Fi to MVNO/LTE to 4G to 3G to 2G over Sprint and/or T-Mobile networks with an adaptive CDMA/GSM SIM card, but will GSM/CDMA roaming to other carriers be supported on this Nexus-6 when outside Sprint/T-Mob tower coverage?

Options

332 Posts

06-24-2010

United States

4 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Does Nexus-6 on Proj Fi roam outside coverage

2015-05-14, 22:09 PM

one word answer.......

NOPE

i live in an area that has no t-mo or sprint coverage.

FI won't even give me an invite.

Options

6 Posts

03-31-2015

Colombia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 5

2015-05-15, 20:48 PM
Thanks for commenting.
I understand your situation and as you concluded, Google will probably not establish regular, full service for you in a location where Sprint and/(or?) T-Mobile are not reasonably reliable. 
My request was accepted since I am in satisfactory coverage area, but my question really was addressed to out-of-coverage area roaming while traveling beyond my subscribed service/coverage region.
My guess now that we are 3 weeks into the roll-out is that some subscribers already are participating in Fi in some metro areas where coverage is virtually seamless already and Google/Moto are keeping very quiet until any serious bugs are identified and fixed.
"OK, Google" searches haven't turned up any info on what areas are implemented, how many preliminary subscribers there are, or what is happening with the new service thus far.
Hopefully, Google will follow up with pending subscribers like me within 30 days as promised, and Moto or Google, or Project Fi will establish a formal blog like this Nexus-6 blog and/or a developmental customer service support website to keep us informed of progress and at least post informed answers to common questions.
The initial roll-out site was a nightmare of disconnected or missing information which in its piecemeal form suggested Fi would work on Google Wi-Fi, but not home or office Wi-Fi, it would work on LTE, but not regular 4G, 3G or 2G, and the discussion of calls, TXT, MMS, and data availability with pertinent charge structures domestically, in Canada/Mexico, and overseas in more than 120 (unspecified) countries were all over the place. 
In the meantime, i personally wish the various tech sites would refrain from speculating based on their hypotheses and no real data.
I'll return to post my experiences here once my pre-approved invitation is processed, I receive and install my free Fi SIM card, and actually get connected.
I would appreciate any others who are early subscribers do the same.
Tks
John in Seattle
Options

2733 Posts

03-08-2010

United States

1 Signins

4 Page Views

• Views: 4
  • Message 4 of 5

2015-05-19, 23:28 PM

If I had to guess, I would say the roaming wouldn't work. Considering that google would try to disrupt current market leaders (at&t and verizon), I doubt they would be willing to let project fi users roam their networks. That way, they would still be able to claim "if you want this coverage, switch to our network".

Options

2733 Posts

03-08-2010

United States

1 Signins

4 Page Views

• Views: 4
  • Message 5 of 5

2015-06-08, 21:19 PM

In some areas, people have reported being on cricket network when out of Sprint/T-mo coverage.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete