Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto PhonesNEXUS 6
All Forum Topics
Options

281 Posts

12-27-2011

United States

2 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 41 of 127

Re: Nexus 6 Signal issue

2015-03-12, 17:15 PM
What's up Matt I installed the new radios and they are worse than the old ones have force the phone to get 4G and they still go in and out.
Options

6 Posts

10-22-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 42 of 127

2015-03-12, 17:19 PM

Sean said:

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

Wait for the 5.1 update. There are improvements included in this area.

View original

I installed the 5.1 update and I notice no difference in these issues.

View original

The radio seems to connect to the network much faster than the radio included with 5.0.1 (vzw user).

I'm currently sitting at 37% time without signal, whereas before the 5.1 update I'd average around 12-18% time without signal. It's a little too early to tell if battery life is any different. My data connection doesn't seem to drop out (no change from 5.0.1 radio). I was able to make a voLTE phone call earlier with no issues. I'm still skeptical if Android is reporting this correctly (or if its really even anything to worry about). even at 37% time without signal, 'Cell Standby' has only used 1% of my battery, which does seem lower than 5.0.1, but again, it's too soon to make an definitive statements about battery. The current values are based on 2H 11M of time on battery, with about 40 minutes of bluetooth music, 5 minute phone call, and not much else. 

When I updated to 5.1 I flashed the 5.0.1 factory images (including userdata) then adb sideloaded the update and then setup my phone after than. 

Options

6 Posts

03-12-2015

Argentina

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 43 of 127

2015-03-12, 21:20 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/2ytct1/nexus_6_signal_problems/

Options

20124 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2587 Signins

65223 Page Views

• Views: 65223
  • Message 44 of 127

2015-03-13, 14:30 PM

Sean said:

I installed the 5.1 update last night. It didn't help my signal issues at all.

I've been having these same issues, usually only when I'm inside of a building like at work and at home. As I write this, I'm sitting at my desk at work and my signal is bouncing back and forth between 3G and H. Before I finished this sentence it changed from 3G to H and back again. I know there's LTE here, because if I go outside and sit in my car, I get a pretty strong LTE signal and can sometimes get 12-18 MBPS on speed tests.

Sometimes I do get LTE while I'm sitting here at work, too, and when I do it's only a bar or two, but I'll speed test it and it'll jump up to 5-8 MBPS... so why can't my phone hold onto that signal? Why do the bars just constantly go up and down, up and down, when I'm just sitting here?

Last night when I was at home, I set the phone down and watched the signal strength at -120 dBm 23 asu go from 23-30 asu to 99 asu back and forth, back and forth.

This is really frustrating!

View original

Sean, just to keep the count straight, you are n0g0don reddit, right? That's not another owner?

I'll have our team take a look at this.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

281 Posts

12-27-2011

United States

2 Signins

11 Page Views

• Message 45 of 127

2015-03-13, 14:42 PM
Don't know for sure but flashed back 5.0.1 radios they do work better although part of the problem might be Verizon towers. Working now gonna see his it is in the wild. I'm in a poor signal area so I will know for sure. It did seem to crab signal better couldn't get anything yesterday. Like I say may be Verizon. Thanks.
Options

4 Posts

01-27-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 46 of 127

2015-03-17, 13:33 PM
So 5.1 won't resolve this issue? I'm surprised there isn't a fix yet. Seems to be a lot of complaints about this
Options

5594 Posts

06-17-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 47 of 127

2015-03-18, 6:30 AM

I've noticed this with both of my phones and demo units I have used here and there, and seems to be a universal "problem". The phone does not seem to actually lose network connectivity, however. I will no go into details about function, but utilizing Lightflow and the built-in LED I was able to determine the signal is not completely lost, instead it seems to phase out visually while staying connected. In an area where the signal strength is next to maximum, this does not occur at all. 

Options

281 Posts

12-27-2011

United States

2 Signins

11 Page Views

• Message 48 of 127

2015-03-18, 8:23 AM

You guys are both correct nothing wrong with your phones at least not that everyone else is having whether they know it or not. The worse the signal area the worse the problem. Don't expect a fix for the problem in the near future or ever been down this road many times before. When the phone is bad its bad if it were a simple software issue it would have been fixed. Makes you wonder how they can put phones out with problems from the start. They have to know they exist and just don't care because there is nothing they can do. I would like to be proved wrong but I don't think I will. Thanks

Options

2 Posts

03-19-2015

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 49 of 127

2015-03-19, 4:57 AM

I havent really noticed this issue with my ATT sim card but with my Tmobile sim card the phone cant stay locked to LTE. It jumps from UMTS to HSPA+ and back and forth constantly. I have noticed that with the Tmobile sim card that under cellular network that preferred network option LTE refuses to stick even though the option says its on LTE prefer. Once u click on the prefer network option LTE is not selected even if u select it then back out of the settings screen and go back in and select prefer network the LTE option is not selected. Now if you were to select 3G preferred and back out to home screen the phone will switch to 3G and once u go back to cellular network and select preferred network 3G will be selected. Seems its a software bug as some have pointed it out where LTE preferred just refuses to stick. This issue i am having with Tmobile sim card as my ATT sim card does not behave like this.

Options

332 Posts

06-24-2010

United States

4 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 50 of 127

2015-03-19, 18:32 PM

i don't get it.

i take regular trips between big sandy, tennessee and wyandotte, oklahoma across US 60 in missouri.

the coverages on VZW in the ozark mountains are crap on both voice and data but, i have not experienced any of the nightmares described herein.

punch in 'van buren, mo' into the VZW coverage map, the deadspot there is almost as big as the west virginia one.

no problem.

my MIFI 6620 has no problems as well with 2 NEXUS9's hooked up to it as well.

i think the problem might be the signal grabbing quality of the NEXUS6 is so good it hangs on to old towers way past what they should.

i noticed that my NEXUS6  has no state line deadspots either, that indicates that handing off is not a real problem.

a nightmare i had about 15 years ago was i was shooting the breeze with a friend while i was parked on the detroit river and got a bill for 150 bucks because i was using a tower in canada without knowing it, that took a little explaining.

before i retired i had to power cycle my phones daily when starting my road trips daily to ensure i was on the best tower for the whole day.

have any of you folks tried that?

might be worth a shot.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms