09-18-2017

US

10 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 1 of 6

Nexus 6 can't receive MMS on T-Mobile

2017-09-18, 21:05 PM

My wife's Nexus 6 32gb (unlocked no carrier version) on T-Mobile US has developed a weird issue. It can't RECEIVE MMS (picture) texts any more. It can send them just fine. We have tried everything. Factory reset, new SIM from TMO, verified all settings. Nothing. If I swap the SIM card from my phone (also a Nexus 6) to hers she can then receive them. Now it sounds to me like some kind of weird provisioning issue but TMO can't find anything wrong. Any ideas? Has anyone ever heard of this?

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Nexus 6 can't receive MMS on T-Mobile

2017-09-18, 21:20 PM

wrote:

My wife's Nexus 6 32gb (unlocked no carrier version) on T-Mobile US has developed a weird issue. It can't RECEIVE MMS (picture) texts any more. It can send them just fine. We have tried everything. Factory reset, new SIM from TMO, verified all settings. Nothing. If I swap the SIM card from my phone (also a Nexus 6) to hers she can then receive them. Now it sounds to me like some kind of weird provisioning issue but TMO can't find anything wrong. Any ideas? Has anyone ever heard of this?

Does SMS work in both directions (messages only)? what happens when someone sends her a MMS?

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

5 Posts

09-18-2017

US

10 Signins

61 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2017-09-18, 22:03 PM

SMS works fine both ways. She can send MMS but not receive them. They either don't show up period or the come in as non-text content. Small pictures, like under 10k or so, and any group text messages (even text only), come in as non-text. Larger pictures never show as anything. If my sim is in her phone, it works fine. 

This had been kicked up to TMO engineering twice now with no luck.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 4 of 6

2017-09-19, 1:26 AM

wrote:

SMS works fine both ways. She can send MMS but not receive them. They either don't show up period or the come in as non-text content. Small pictures, like under 10k or so, and any group text messages (even text only), come in as non-text. Larger pictures never show as anything. If my sim is in her phone, it works fine. 

This had been kicked up to TMO engineering twice now with no luck.

So, you ruled out the phone hardware. If you put her sim in your phone does the problem persist? I have heard of receiving and not sending, but not the other way around. 

It sure sounds like some provisioning setting on tmo side, or sim, or some phone setting. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

5 Posts

09-18-2017

US

10 Signins

61 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2017-09-19, 5:59 AM

Yeah the SIM swap made mine behave like hers. But TMO says they can't find anything that would do this on their end.

Options

5 Posts

09-18-2017

US

10 Signins

61 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

Re: Nexus 6 can't receive MMS on T-Mobile - UPDATE

2017-09-20, 3:18 AM

And TMO said, try yet another SIM. We went to a TMO store. Got another SIM. Same result. Swapped SIMs AGAIN with my phone. Her SIM makes my phone do the same thing hers does. Can send MMS, can't receive them. With my SIM in her phone, she can do both. TMO store guy verified. He did offer that whatever info is on her account that gets recorded on the SIM when it's activated COULD have something in that messes with the phone. But he didn't think that was likely. Back to engineering at TMO.

My last option may be to try flashing new firmware via sideload from Google since they no longer do OTA updates. If anyone has any suggestions on that route, let me know.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete