Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto PhonesNEXUS 6
All Forum Topics
Options

677 Posts

12-04-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 16

Should Verizon users be worried?

2015-03-08, 22:55 PM
I just read that the Verizon variant of our beloved phone is set to launch in a few days with Android 5.1 and LTE Calling out of the box. I would assume with Verizon bloatware too. My question is, for those of us already using the unlocked version on Verizon, how is it going to affect us? When we get the update to 5.1 will we still get a pure Android update but with LTE calling(or not?!) or will we be sucker punched with Verizon bloatware too?
Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

United States of America

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 2 of 16

Re: Should Verizon users be worried?

2015-03-08, 23:07 PM

This is a good question. We will definitely be able to upgrade to 5.1 without the bloatware, because it will come directly from Google, but will we be able to get the HD calling without adding the bloatware for it to work? That is where it becomes tricky.

I am lucky in the fact that i can live without the call and data simultaneously working. I can live without HD calling. I shouldn't have to though to keep from having the bloat. I do hope that we can get the HD calling without having to install the bloat. Time will tell I guess

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Options

677 Posts

12-04-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 16

2015-03-08, 23:14 PM
What I'm worried about is that, Verizon strong armed Google (and like always, they caved in) and said, "hey, we don't like these people using unlocked devices on our network! Fix it!" And somehow, when the update hits, it will detect which carrier we're on and push the "official version" for our carrier. No more pure, Android lollipop for us.
Options

420 Posts

08-23-2013

United States of America

427 Signins

3588 Page Views

• Views: 3588
  • Message 4 of 16

2015-03-09, 14:50 PM

I'll probably stay off the VZW network from just before "launch" day until I see some reviews and commentary about the Nx6 functionality, carrier lock, bloat levels etc.

I'll stick to Wi-Fi and tethering until I can get 5.1 direct from Google. Big Red has a long history of treating Nexus phones in an arbitrary and capricious manner. VoLTE has little use or attraction for me also - so I'll pass on that improvement for the time being.

I'll be interested to see if the VZW bloatware is actually removable of if we'll still have to settle for disabling in place.

Interesting times ahead. Google's MVNO offering may be interesting enough to experiment with - who knows?

I'm baaaaaaaaack!
Options

1997 Posts

06-03-2015

USA

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 5 of 16

2015-03-10, 15:28 PM

The carriers have to unlock device now if the user requests it so that shouldn't be an issue. I ditched Verizon about two years ago, one reason was the data speed took a dive and the other, I was just tired of the service provider having such heavy handed restrictions and limitations on hardware. I don't even run the Fios apps on my phone as that app amounts to spyware with all the access privileges you relinquish.

Verizon's support of the N4 was poor, maybe N6 will be better. It seems they managed to get Google to fall into step by not releasing 5.1 on Nexus 6 prior to Verizon's launch which is so very disappointing.

As for feature limitations, I believe with T-Mobile if you didn't buy the T-Mobile version of a phone, like getting a Lumina 925 from AT&T and swapping the sim, I'm fairly certain you can't use features like wifi calling on T-Mobile. Just have to wait and see what Verizon does.

edit: you may want to follow this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/verizon-users-verizon-branded-n6-please-t3050614/page2

Options

420 Posts

08-23-2013

United States of America

427 Signins

3588 Page Views

• Views: 3588
  • Message 6 of 16

2015-03-10, 17:20 PM

mgerbasio said:

The carriers have to unlock device now if the user requests it so that shouldn't be an issue. I ditched Verizon about two years ago, one reason was the data speed took a dive and the other, I was just tired of the service provider having such heavy handed restrictions and limitations on hardware. I don't even run the Fios apps on my phone as that app amounts to spyware with all the access privileges you relinquish.

Verizon's support of the N4 was poor, maybe N6 will be better. It seems they managed to get Google to fall into step by not releasing 5.1 on Nexus 6 prior to Verizon's launch which is so very disappointing.

As for feature limitations, I believe with T-Mobile if you didn't buy the T-Mobile version of a phone, like getting a Lumina 925 from AT&T and swapping the sim, I'm fairly certain you can't use features like wifi calling on T-Mobile. Just have to wait and see what Verizon does.

edit: you may want to follow this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/verizon-users-verizon-branded-n6-please-t3050614/page2

View original

Thanks mgerbasic the XDA thread you referred to should be an excellent source for my (and other's) concerns.

Good catch smiley

I'm baaaaaaaaack!
Options

5594 Posts

06-17-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 16

2015-03-18, 6:44 AM

As soon as the Nexus 6 is updated to Android 5.1, it will be Advanced Calling compatible and the feature will be able to be added to your number. This is confirmed, by myself, that it will work on both unlocked (Google Play/Motorola.com) versions of the device as well as the Verizon branded one. Advanced calling is NOT self-provisioning on the Nexus 6, and must be activated from your My Verizon account, through customer service or a retail location. 

As for bloatware, the Nexus 6 (build ending in E) does have access to VZW Visual Voicemail, and is able to be uninstalled rather than simply disabled. 

Other than the Verizon branding on the rear of the device, you will be hard pressed to find the difference between the two.

Options

677 Posts

12-04-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 16

2015-03-18, 6:52 AM
I don't mind visual voicemail. I actually miss it. Will i be able to install it after the 5.1 update? So when we update our unlocked Nexus 6 and it boots back up we won't be greeted by the Verizon splash screen?
Options

5594 Posts

06-17-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 16

2015-03-18, 6:56 AM

Yes, the app is available below (Google Play)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.visualvoicemail

No, you will not have the Verizon splash screen. 

Options

677 Posts

12-04-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 16

2015-03-18, 6:58 AM
Great! It says it's not compatible for my device but I'm guessing that will change with 5.1 I bookmarked it for after the update. Thanks for all the info!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms