Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4) Vanilla

Helpful? Click ►
Started ‎07-25-2012 by
Modified ‎07-30-2012 by

Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4) Vanilla

by ‎07-25-2012 02:26 PM - edited ‎07-30-2012 08:43 AM (158,084 Views)

Lenovo is providing a basic non-customized, region-independent release of Android 4.03 aka Ice Cream Sandwich for customers who wish to install this OS on their IdeaPad K1 Tablet systems.

This release differs from the factory-installed Honeycomb 3.1 release and subsequent OTA (Over The Air) updates to Honeycomb 3.2, and it does not include Lenovo customizations such as the launcher, pre-installed Apps or an App store, nor the underlying framework.  

Installation of this release will erase ALL data on the system including all factory Apps as well as any customer installed applications, music, pictures, etc.

This release is generally not recommended for the casual or mainstream user who is unfamiliar with the Android OS and customizing it. The source code, which may be of additional value to the developer community, is available for download here. Further OTA updates are not planned for this release.

The installation process involves downloading the file package to a Windows PC, putting the tablet into recovery mode and connecting to the PC (we recommend Windows 7) and then flashing the update to the tablet. Some provisional drivers may need to be installed on the PC to facilitate this—they are included in the package.

Please download and review the instructions in the PDF file attached to this article, and then proceed with the download of the K1 ICS package here.

Note:  Installation and support assistance for this release is not available through warranty support centers. 

Comments
zhenboling
Punch Card

Thank you, Mark, and Lenovo Engineers.

MtlPjn
Paper Tape

yes, thanks for the update

Gilberth
Fanfold Paper

Mark, in the official ROM are an error, i cant see the external sd? its only me ?

kaschemme
Punch Card

I've got a virus alert with the zip file!!!

I informed Mark but until then, everyone should check his computer.

!

Former Administrator

Gilberth,

Looking into the SD card concern.

kaschemme,

Will check on this as well... thanks for the advisory.

Mark

bme123
Fanfold Paper

YAY thank you for the update Mark, especially for putting up with that thread. I'm happy you guys decided to at least release the Vanilla build Smiley Very Happy

Whitesnake
Punch Card

Why didn't you include Google Play Store support?..

Whitesnake
Punch Card

Can you guys also Put out the Honeycomb firmware if people want to go back?...

NigelLH
Paper Tape

OK I installed, Looks great but no Play Store, No way to log into Google account. Very dead in the water. Fix these two or show me how as searching is getting me nowhere. Pretty upset as rely on this for many things.

Former Administrator

Whitesnake,

I explained in the thread why no google in the image.   For an OEM to include, we have regionalized images and these (for us) are controlled through OTA keyed to the particular regional preloaded image..  We didn't plan to do multiple images, so could not include Google.  Since it was 1 image and Vanilla, we didn't want to push as an OTA that people would just grab and apply.  Some of these factors are due to decisions made relatively late in the K1 lifecycle, and I agree that this is not the best fit for all users - I've tried to provide that guidance in the notes above.

Kaschemme,

We've scanned the image and believe this is probably a false positive from your AV program.

Gilberth,

I note that you and one other person (so far) report trouble with SD card.  I see another person said they had to reboot / remount before it worked.   We tested on a K1 here today and were able to use it with our image.

Not sure what else to advise, but will watch the discussion.   Let's continue debugging in a dedicated forum thread.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod

Remaining comments moved to discussion board as Mark requested.  They can be found in this thread

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff

kaschemme, we scan files before uploading to server to prevent servers being corrupted. In regard to your virus alert, I have actually tried Symantec and Avast to scan the K1 ICS zip file but no virus alert found. Did you try with other free virus software? It could be like Mark mentioned false positive.

Contributors