Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

16 Posts

03-04-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

24 Signins

389 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 389
  • Message 1 of 1

Add EFI Shell to Boot Menu X1 Carbon 5th Gen [linux]

2017-06-29, 20:27 PM

Hi,

I am dual booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu 17.04 on an X1 Carbon by using efibootmgr from within Ubuntu to update the EFI boot list. i.e. I am using the Boot Menu firmware of the Thinkpad (accessed by hitting F12 at boot) as my Boot Manager. This is working well, but I would like to have the option to drop into an EFI Shell in case something goes wrong.

Most online instructions describe running EFI Shell from a USB drive, but I can't see any reason why it couldn't be loaded from my HDD ESP like any other .EFI file.

However  on my Thinkpad, if I do either of the following, when selecting the appropriate option in the F12 boot menu, I simply get a flash of black screen, and returned to the boot menu.

- copy the Shell_Full.efi binary (obtained from here) to \EFI\shell\shellx64.efi and create appropriate boot entry using efibootmgr in linux (specifically: sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/nvme0n1 -p 1 -L "UEFI shellx64.efi in shell" -l "\EFI\shell\shellx64.efi")

OR

- format a USB as fat32, flag partition ESP and Boot, make directory EFI\BOOT and copy same binary there as bootx64.efi

Both of these should work - in particular the USB approach. The fact that neither does makes me wonder if the X1 Firmware has some objection to the EFI Shell, or if I am missing a step.

Anyone out there tried this or could suggest how to troubleshoot?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms