cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdgall84
What's DOS?
Views: 522
Message 1 of 3

After "factory repair," I can no install Linux.

Greetings,

I am not sure whether this post should be here or in the "IdeaPad" section.  I have a v570, but my question is about linux installation.

I bought a lenovo v570 from Best-Buy in Canada.  I enjoyed the ability to dual-boot Windows7 and OpenSuse or Windows7 and Ubuntu for a year.  Then something in my hard-drive stopped working.  I took it to Best-Buy under warranty.  It was shipped to the factory, and then came back, with a new hard-drive, so there was nothing on the harddrive except a new W7 professional installation (not sure if that matters).  

Now I cannot install any linux distribution.  It seems there is a problem with secure boot being enabled.  I didn't think this would be an issue on W7, but perhaps policy has changed.  Let me briefly explain why I think I have a secure boot problem.  I tried to install OpenSUSE, and when the installer starts, I get an error message: something like, "Cannot read GPT blah blah You cannot delete, resize, or create new partitions, but you can write to existing ones."  Upon the end of installation, I get a permission error regarding installing the boot loader.  Ubuntu 32 bit, and 64 bit, will not even boot off the install disk, the only message I get it "Secure Boot Not Enabled."  

Has anyone else seen a similar scenario, and more importantly, can one suggest a way around this?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 500
Message 2 of 3

Re: After "factory repair," I can no install Linux.

Secure boot is available only for systems running Windows 8 .the Y570 came out well before this time .Do you have the option to siable secure boot via the BIOS? It would be helpful if you can share any screenshots
jdgall84
What's DOS?
Views: 444
Message 3 of 3

Re: After "factory repair," I can no install Linux.

Thank you for the response.

No.  There is no option to disable secure boot in the bios.  Is there a way to update the bios to make this option available?

I would certainly share screenshots, but unfortunately, the boot process does not make it far enough to record screenshots.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors