08-22-2020

AF

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 4

Battery Threshold Controls on Linux?

2020-08-22, 2:08 AM

My current system is a Manjaro install but I keep Windows around only to adjust the battery thresholds when needed, like turning it off to charge it back up. I’m hoping to get rid of the Windows install some day but i’m having some issues. The thresholds themselves work but I can only control those in Windows since Vantage is Windows only (UWP so windows 10 only too)

I installed TLP, the Tpacpi-bat from the AUR, and looking at the Arch wiki, I use Modprobe ACPI_call, when I use dmidecode it does say ACPI is supported, bios is on its latest version too.

However when I set the thresholds, nothing appears to happen, on both Vantage and TLP the thresholds are 45-90%, so goes up to 90% and stops before going down to 45%. This works with Vantage but if I boot into Linux it won’t work with that, I tested temporarily disabling the Vantage Threshold in Windows but that had the same result, it charges way past the thresholds and doesn’t work as intended (I can tell when it says “Charging in # amount of minutes” instead of “Charging” only like with the Vantage thresholds.

ArchWiki has a page for the T420, with these commands

/usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/tpacpi-bat -v -s SP 0 80 /usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/tpacpi-bat -v -s ST 0 40

but when I try to manually put the thresholds in via those, normally gives a permission error

“cannot write to /proc/ACPI/call: permission denied at /usr/bin/tcacpi-bat line 418”

while doing that with sudo errors with

““Call: _SB_PCI0.LPC.EC.HKEY.BCSS 0x5a Response: 0x0called””

I’m thinking either Vantage might be conflicting with ACPI, or the T420 is just too old to use these tools. I’m still not sure on which one.

If anyone knowledgeable on this has any advice then let me know, information on this isn’t easy to find. I don’t want to wipe Windows before finding a solution and messing the battery up in the process, I know of USB Windows Solutions but idk how good of an idea that is or how well that would work for Vantage.

OS is a dual boot of Windows 10 and Manjaro Linux 5.8.0.2, with the plans being to wipe the first of those. System is the Thinkpad T420.

EDIT: Edited for formatting.

Options

600 Posts

05-14-2020

US

244 Signins

2965 Page Views

• Views: 2965
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Battery Threshold Controls on Linux?

2020-08-25, 15:34 PM

Hello,

I think you have demonstrated that hardware drivers for Windows 10, only are functional when running Windows 10.  Stopping the system and rebooting into another OS, stops the Windows 10 programs from having any activity.

Find your Linux Distributions System Adminstrators Guide.  Different distributions implement different software packages, and often store the configuration files in different directory trees.  I use Fedora running Gnome Desktop in Wayland mode (so Xorg is not used at all.)  The battery power set up is handled by a daemon.  For this implementation man UPower  and man upower bring up the battery charging information and settings manual pages.  So I can set a .profile command to make battery charging and discharging levels different from the defaults.

Good hunting!

Usedtoberich

Options

4 Posts

12-07-2019

DE

14 Signins

167 Page Views

• Views: 167
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-08-25, 17:39 PM

@ Jubilee814 wrote:

I installed TLP, the Tpacpi-bat from the AUR, and looking at the Arch wiki, I use Modprobe ACPI_call, when I use dmidecode it does say ACPI is supported, bios is on its latest version too.

Oh, my. It would have been sufficient to follow the official documentation. Your remaining steps will not get you any further towards a solution.

Please post the full output of:

tlp-stat -s -c -b

--- Open source enthusiast, author of TLP --- https://linrunner.de/tlp
Options

600 Posts

05-14-2020

US

244 Signins

2965 Page Views

• Views: 2965
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-08-26, 14:21 PM

Hello,

According to this link, Manjaro Linux supports three different but mutually incompatible power management packages.  So if TLP package did not work for your, uninstall it then try the other two listed.  Please read the note next to the battery, so uninstall the ones that don't work before testing the next one...

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Power_Management

Sincerely,

Usedtoberich

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete