cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JM2017
Not applicable
Views: 1,324
Message 1 of 5

Carbon X1 (2017, Gen5), How can I use two displays when using Linux?

Hello, 

I bought a new Carbon X1 Notbook. I am working with Linux and I am wondering, how I can connect two displays to the notebook. It seems that the Thunderbolt 3 docking station is not supported with Linux. 

Any ideas?

Greetings

Juergen

anaibol
Not applicable
Views: 1,122
Message 2 of 5

Re: Carbon X1 (2017, Gen5), How can I use two displays when using Linux?

Connect one via hdmi and the other via usb 3.1 to hdmi adaptor.

nibs
Not applicable
Views: 1,034
Message 3 of 5

Be careful about the resolution of the external displays. The X1 Carbon 5th's HDMI has a max refresh rate of 24Hz when using 4k over HDMI. I believe lower resolutions should be ok. 

If you wanted to avoid HDMI, then you should be able to use a USB-C monitor or a USB-C to DP cable to monitor one and daisy chain monitor one to monitor two, assuming the monitors support being daisy chained and you have the correct cables.

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.
kudram
Not applicable
Views: 787
Message 4 of 5

The ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 docking station doe work with Linux.
jonasbjork
Not applicable
Views: 379
Message 5 of 5

I am using the Thunderdock with my X1 Carbon 5th Gen without any problems. Well, you have to set the Thunderbolt Security to "No Security" in BIOS to get the USB and Ethernet on the dock to work with Linux. I have two monitors connected to the dock (DisplayPort) and they just worked with Fedora 27. No problems at all.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors