Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

06-04-2020

United States of America

10 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 1 of 2

[Crosspost] Upgrade EFI/BIOS IdeaPad FLEX-14API 81SS

2020-08-22, 17:16 PM

This message is cross-posted from https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx-Edge-LaVie-Z-Flex-Notebooks/IdeaPad-FLEX-14-BIOS-update-without-Windows/m-p/5034630?page=1#5124310.

23 days ago, an upgraded BIOS was posted for my laptop. It appears to contain a security patch, though the README is unclear on this and DuckDuckGo cannot locate anything relevant.

The flash utility provided is a Windows executable.

Will this work in the WINE or MONO runtime(s)?

Can this run from a FreeDOS bootable USB device (assuming I can again convince the BIOS to allow boot-from-USB.)

Is there any work being done to port to the IdeaPad series of laptops? Honestly, InsydeH2O is horrible.

Answer
Options

12 Posts

06-04-2020

United States of America

10 Signins

70 Page Views

Re:[Crosspost] Upgrade EFI/BIOS IdeaPad FLEX-14API 81SS

2020-08-25, 17:32 PM

After finally speaking with an actually-useful person at the hardware support phone line (had to ask for supervisor. Normal answering people are not technicians and know nothing which is not in their phone scripts,) I was able to discover that the firmware update corrects a security vulnerability that only effects the Lenovo support software for Windows. It's ludicrous that this is somehow baked into BIOS, but there you have it.

I mentioned that I am a Lenovo customer primarily due to the historically (almost) good Linux support, the agent (supervisor) agreed that support had deteriorated since purchase of the brands from IBM. I requested that all hardware at least be firmware supported on linux, leaving drivers and software to the community except on the "officially" linux-supported systems. Agent (supervisor) agreed this is not unreasonable, especially considering the existing relationship with the fwupd service and should be relatively easy/straightforward to implement. A support ticket was opened and I am promised to be kept updated about it.

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

12 Posts

06-04-2020

United States of America

10 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 2 of 2

Re:[Crosspost] Upgrade EFI/BIOS IdeaPad FLEX-14API 81SS

2020-08-25, 17:32 PM

After finally speaking with an actually-useful person at the hardware support phone line (had to ask for supervisor. Normal answering people are not technicians and know nothing which is not in their phone scripts,) I was able to discover that the firmware update corrects a security vulnerability that only effects the Lenovo support software for Windows. It's ludicrous that this is somehow baked into BIOS, but there you have it.

I mentioned that I am a Lenovo customer primarily due to the historically (almost) good Linux support, the agent (supervisor) agreed that support had deteriorated since purchase of the brands from IBM. I requested that all hardware at least be firmware supported on linux, leaving drivers and software to the community except on the "officially" linux-supported systems. Agent (supervisor) agreed this is not unreasonable, especially considering the existing relationship with the fwupd service and should be relatively easy/straightforward to implement. A support ticket was opened and I am promised to be kept updated about it.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms