cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j1k2
Punch Card
Views: 858
Message 11 of 17

Re: Does Sleep/Wake work on X1 Extreme for any Linux?

LOL. They say that "misery loves company", but it's not working for me in this case.

When you reported successful wakeups, I could cling to hope that perhaps someday whatever made it work in Pop_OS! would eventually make it to Ubuntu.

FYI, Ubuntu 18.10 was on 4.18.0-14-generic when I installed it last month, and it's now on 4.18.0-15-generic; no detectable difference.

In the "misery loves company" department, I've had exactly *one* successful wakeup from maybe a dozen tries. I don't know how or why I got that one surprise wakeup. It's too much effort to retry so now I've just been leaving my machine up overnight.

Jim
LinuxWerner
Punch Card
Views: 764
Message 12 of 17

I use Debian/Buster with Bumblebee.  I have set the graphics mode to hybrid in the BIOS.  Suspend to RAM and suspend to disk work both without problem.  I don't recall it to require any special configuration.  Worked just out of the box.

cheers,

Werner

comminus
Paper Tape
Views: 702
Message 13 of 17

Using Fedora 29, dGPU only. Neither the lid switch or the power button trigger suspend. The systemctl suspend command works and the machine wake as soon as I close the lid! 

LinuxWerner
Punch Card
Views: 628
Message 14 of 17

Unfortunately, I had to remove Bumblebee.  Apparently Bumblebee presents something like a virtual "Bumblebee Graphics Card" to applications.  I.e., applications don't know which "real" graphic card is used, nor which capabilities the card has.  This is causing applications to not use the full potential of the graphics card.

So, now I am using plain Nvidia with "discrete" graphics set in BIOS.  With respect to "suspend to RAM" or "suspend to disk" I don't have any problems.  It worked with and without Bumblebee.  However, I installed CentOS 7.6 recently to run some tests and noticed that neither suspend works with the standard nouveau graphics driver.  Only after installing the Nvidia driver suspend to ram/disk works.

cheers,

Werner

plb2010
Punch Card
Views: 619
Message 15 of 17

The suggestion I received from Lenovo support was to set the video memory under the hybrid/discreet setting in the BIOS from 256 to 512--mine was set to 256. (He says sheepishly...) I'm not sure why this did not jump out at me as something to test when I was digging through the BIOS previously, but it didn't. Making this change seems to have solved the problem and sleep/wake has been working without issue for the past week.

I'm running Pop OS 18.10.

j1k2
Punch Card
Views: 607
Message 16 of 17

Thanks for your suggestion. However, it didn't work for me. I have Ubuntu 18.10, BIOS 1.17, Discrete graphics, driver 410. I've tried many combinations of suspension, drivers, Discrete/Hybrid, and now video memory to no avail. I know about Pop_OS but I have too much invested in my current installation, plus there's no guarantee it'll work either since I've heard about failures with it too. :-(
gonzx1
Paper Tape
Views: 385
Message 17 of 17

Just like others here, triggering suspend works but it never wakes up. The only thing visible on the screen is an error like:

hda_intel: azx_get_response timeout, switching to single_cmd mode: last cmd=0x100f0000

I am on discrete graphics running Pop!_OS 18.10 (NVIDIA version) and I've set video memory to 512MB. I then realised that I had the Thunderbolt workstation dock plugged in the whole time. Welp, as it turns out, when I unplug it and then trigger suspend, it does work (as in, wake up correctly).

This is rather annoying though as I'd like to be able to suspend at the end of each day and of course I don't want to have to remember to unplug the Thunderbolt workstation dock every time.

While I'm here, drive-by (related) question: has anyone managed to trigger suspend while keeping the lid open? If I suspend (systemctl suspend), it suspends but then turns on straight away. Not a major issue though as I can just close the lid, but it'd be nice to know if there was a way to say "if I trigger a suspend manually, ignore the lid open event".

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors