Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaskerx
Punch Card
Views: 3,900
Message 1 of 3

Flashing BIOS Without Windows

This really should have been covered on the main download page for the BIOS update. I'm trying to update my BIOS on a Yoga 2 Pro but alas Lenovo has made BIOS updates OS dependant. Here I am used to just going to the BIOS putting the .img file on a usb stick and select flash. That would be too easy and I'm sure confused alot of Windows users. The problem I am having first of all is I cannot find a changelog file. Why would I want to flash something that I have no idea what it does? I need to know what I'm flashing first. The second problem is I cannot even extract the downloaded .exe file, its not a .cab, .zip or .rar. If I could extract it, all I should need to do is make a bootable usb with the .img file right? Anyone in Lenovo support whatching this thread?   

jaskerx
Punch Card
Views: 3,889
Message 2 of 3

Re: Flashing BIOS Without Windows

Well just got off the phone with Lenovo tech support they declare this a software issue and they want my money...like thats going to happen. Can't even tell me where to find the changelog...**bleep** Lenovo.

Highlighted
jaskerx
Punch Card
Views: 3,884
Message 3 of 3

Re: Flashing BIOS Without Windows

Answering my own question here but here is a solution. Download this Windows 8.1 live usb/cd:

http://windowsmatters.com/2013/04/30/windows-8-based-pe-boot-disk-with-explorer-shell-and-all-my-fav...

I'm using a Yoga 2 Pro and it was kind of picky how the usb was "burned" was unable to use dd and or suse studio image writer had to use rufus on a windows box choosing gpt for uefi with 4096 block size. Then I just ran the exe. Something Lenovo tech support should know about.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors