Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yujiri
Blue Screen Again
Views: 989
Message 1 of 3

Help installing FreeBSD on Lenovo ThinkPad T480s

I recently ordered a T480s that has Windows 10 on an NVMe drive, and I separately ordered a Toshiba RC100 NVMe hoping to put it in the WWAN slot and install FreeBSD on it. Unfortunately, it seems that the Lenovo BIOS doesn't allow booting from the WWAN slot.

So I'm thinking that the only option left is chainloading the WWAN slot. I spent some time trying to install GRUB on the Windows drive, but the Ubuntu LiveUSB I tried to do that with didn't seem to have the necessary files without fully installing Ubuntu, the FreeBSD LiveUSB seems unable to mount any drives or partitions (it claims "no such file or directory" even though I can see them with ls), and I can't find anything that promises to do exactly what I want from Windows. I found one thing that I thought was going to work until I found out it was for installing GRUB on the secondary drive, and Grub2Win, but I couldn't find any specific mention of Grub2Win being used to boot FreeBSD (or any BSD), so I was unsure.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also tried the Plop boot manager, but it couldn't detect the new NVMe drive either (or even Windows).

If anyone could provide advice, that would be very much appreciated!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 955
Message 2 of 3

Re: Help installing FreeBSD on Lenovo ThinkPad T480s

Hello and welcome,

I've moved your thread here from the T-series forum.  This is probably a better place to find help with grub.

You may end up biting the bullet and just doing a Ubuntu install - in minimal space - to get grub on-board and integrated.

It's easy enough to get a bootable stand-alone grub going - just copy the files for UEFI boot, or run grub-install from a booted live Ubuntu for legacy mode.  How to do that w/out stepping on the existing Windows EFI files  - and where to find space for them - is above my pay grade.

Hence the suggestion to go ahead and run the Ubuntu install and edit the menu.  Hopefully others here will have a more elegant solution.

good luck,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Yujiri
Blue Screen Again
Views: 833
Message 3 of 3

Re: Help installing FreeBSD on Lenovo ThinkPad T480s

Hi, just coming back to say thanks, everything is working now. I did end up installing Ubuntu to get GRUB. While I failed to find a way to make GRUB boot FreeBSD successfully, it led me down the right path; I eventually stumbled upon the rEFInd boot manager, which proved to be the solution, and I did end up using Ubuntu to install it. So thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors