Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

768 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

498 Signins

5951 Page Views

• Views: 5951
  • Message 11 of 63

Re: How To: Configure X1 Carbon Gen 7 on Debian (FingerPrint+4G Modem)

2019-11-06, 2:33 AM

Some updates:

Fingerprint firmware is still under review at synaptics and hasn't been released yet but is expected to be soon. I'm keeping an eye on it. It's expected in the next couple of weeks. I don't know on the updated fprintd and libfprint but I would expect that to be soon as well. 

I don't know on the X1C1 (I don't have one :)) but I'll see if I can find out. Actually - can you check if it shows up under lsusb> (Synaptics 06cb:00bd). I'd be surprised if it's the same one though.

Audio - Yes, microphone is definitely working :)

I uploaded an improved guide (well - hopefully a bit clearer and simpler than previously) in one of the other threads. Hopefully this link works:

https://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/attachments/lnv/lx02_en/3199/1/Enabling%20audio%20on%20the%20X1C7.pdf

See if that helps you get it up and working and let me know if any questions. Actually, if you have questions suggest posting in one of the other threads that are focussed on that issue to keep this one cleaner

Mark

Options

4 Posts

11-17-2019

Portugal

4 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 12 of 63

2019-11-17, 18:45 PM

Hi, i am still having problems with audio, just installed Manjaro KDE.

Sound volume doesn't work and mic appears as disabled.

I was trying the fix you specified but i get a 404 in this link:

https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-ucm-conf/tree/master/ucm/sof-skl_hda_card

Options

197 Posts

11-07-2009

United States of America

186 Signins

1379 Page Views

• Views: 1379
  • Message 13 of 63

2019-11-19, 21:17 PM

wrote:

Hi, i am still having problems with audio, just installed Manjaro KDE.

Sound volume doesn't work and mic appears as disabled.

I was trying the fix you specified but i get a 404 in this link:

https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-ucm-conf/tree/master/ucm/sof-skl_hda_card

He has no idea of this -- don't waste your time. A few days ago I posted detailed instruction and was deleted in seconds.  They simply don't want us to run fp or wwan or this.

Options

768 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

498 Signins

5951 Page Views

• Message 14 of 63

2019-11-19, 22:47 PM
Sorry - I'm travelling and so haven't had a chance to comment on the answer to this properly - the config file has been renamed to work with some kernel changes by the SOF team so that link is unfortunately broken. There are some more up to date postings in this thread: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Ubuntu/Guide-X1-Carbon-7th-Generation-Ubuntu-compatability/td-p/4489823/page/8
Note - I haven't tried this out myself yet and I really need to do some testing before updating the instructions...

I haven't deleted any posting so I've no idea why that is being said.....what solution did you post and to what?

For fingerprint it is still being worked on - we're still waiting on firmware to be made available from Synaptics - as soon as that is public you can rebuild fprintd and libfprint and get it working (I plan on posting instructions once the firmware is available). We'll of course work with distro's to get the update in as well.

For wwan you are correct that there isn't a solution available on Linux for this particular device. There isn't support from the chip vendor and there are legal issues due to FCC regulations. I know some users have worked around it - but it's really not recommended.
Options

55 Posts

10-15-2019

France

59 Signins

668 Page Views

• Views: 668
  • Message 15 of 63

2019-11-27, 15:40 PM
I know some users have worked around it - but it's really not recommended. 

Seriously, I am very happy to get my WWAN card and this should be accepted as an official fix. How could it be worse than a non-compatible and useless device? I am using that fix and it work perfectly, I have even ordered som SIM cards to use it for work.

I sincerely hope you'll change your mind and try to support me with that one because someone must motivate Lenovo core team to accept a community fix while working on an improved and final solution, instead than the current dark hole that has been here for generations...

I am still waiting for a microphone to upgrade the kernel, but I think I will after testing your tutorial to install the fingerprint driver. Thanks a lot for solving this issue, that's a giant step considering how rare patch for linux are.

Options

768 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

498 Signins

5951 Page Views

• Message 16 of 63

2019-12-12, 17:09 PM

As a note - the fingerprint firmware is now up on LVFS though it is in testing status:

https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/com.synaptics.prometheus.firmware

Hopefully it will be made generally available soon. I was able to run an update manually on my system successfully.

You then need the latest libfprint and fprintd and that means building it yourself:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libfprint/libfprint - use the master branch

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libfprint/fprintd - use the wip/benzea/v2 branch

A word of warning - I was able to build these succesfully myself a few weeks ago but walking through the steps this morning I haven't yet succeeded in getting fprintd to build. If I can figure it out I'll post the steps....and if anyone beats me to it please let me know or post your steps.

With regards to general updates: The updated fprint libraries won't be going into Fedora31 as there are regression issues for existing fingerprint users (you have to re-enroll) and it's all just a bit new. It should be going in into Fedora32. Similar for RHEL - plan is it will go in 8.2

I don't know yet when it will make it's way into Ubuntu, and I haven't approached Debian yet...it's on my todo list but I'm still working on some other items there first.

Options

55 Posts

05-13-2011

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

575 Signins

1540 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 1540
  • Message 17 of 63

2019-12-12, 17:30 PM

That's encouraging news, thanks.

Regarding the updated fprint libraries, Ubuntu is gearing up towards their next Long Term Support release in April so maybe that would be a good target.

Options

55 Posts

10-15-2019

France

59 Signins

668 Page Views

• Views: 668
  • Message 18 of 63

2019-12-12, 20:27 PM

Hi and thanks for the news.

I am on Debian buster so the status on debian intereset me. Are you saying that it libfprint and fprintd should be released also on debian at some point or our only way is to build ? Do you have a tracking number reference of your fix so we can see when it get published to repo ? (and what version)

Thanks!

Options

9448 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78162 Signins

2247710 Page Views

• Views: 2247710
  • Message 19 of 63

2019-12-15, 6:12 AM

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

8 Posts

12-18-2019

Poland

25 Signins

193 Page Views

• Views: 193
  • Message 20 of 63

2019-12-18, 18:39 PM

Here is the list of issues I had with Lenovo ThinkPad Carbon X1 gen 7 on recent Ubuntu 19.10 equipped with stock 5.3.0-24-generic kernel. Hope it's gonna be helpful for some people who are still struggling. I managed to made almost everything (except fingerprint scanner) working flawlessly.

1. Desktop graphics/animations performance

Since the initial experience was far from perfect (screen glitches, some dropped frames and cursor blinking when using external monitor) I have found that initial build does not include intel device section in xorg configuration. In order to get that sorted you need to create one manually with following contents:

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Section "Device"
	Identifier "Intel Graphics"
	Driver "intel"
EndSection

Screen artifacts went away after next restart. Also adding CLUTTER_VBLANK=True option to /etc/environment made the whole experience smoother.

2. Sound and internal microphone.

I have basically followed steps described here with few exceptions.

• Up to date entry in /lib/firmware/intel/sof-tplg/sof-hda-generic.tplg is alredy included so I could skip this one
  • Contents of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf were also on par with the script so this step could also be skipped

It is important to replace the firmware file from: /lib/firmware/intel/sof/sof-cnl.ri with the recent one from the GIST above, and use the UCM config from the GIST as well (not the one from recent alsa-lib repository). After blacklisting modules and restarting system you can take advantage of full potential of your sound system. It's worth installing puavcontrol  to increase the volume and set the option to allow volume amplification. The speakers will do just fine even at maximum volume and the sound is very nice.

3. 4G modem

I used instructions from the repository XMM7360 acpi call with few exceptions.

Since all kernel modules in default ubuntu install need to be signed (disabling secure boot won't help) the make install command will fail due to missing cert files. Instead of running this command it is advised to find the module file (xmm7360_usb.ko) sign it manually using openssl and mokutil using instructions here. Then you can load the module by copying the signed module to your kernel modules directory (in my case it was: /usr/lib/modules/5.3.0-24-generic/, then running depmod to make the system notice new module and running: modprobe xmm7360_usb with success.

4. Fingerprint scanner

This is still not working for me. In order to be able to load the testing firmware posted by MarkRHPearson i had to perform manual update of old  fwupdmgr which I have compiled from source. After long battle with dependencies, successfully building the package I was able to load the attached firmware.

The adventure with building new libfprint and fprintd packages (as per instructions) was pretty similar (missing deps -> searching the package -> configuring again -> repeat). I managed to build and install that stuff without errors finally. NOTE: I would strongly suggest other people to try installing. After few hours of battle I think I can help to nail down some build failures. 

Once I loaded everything and performed restart, I tried running fprintd-list $USER which returned output indicating that stuff seems to be working, which made me prematurely happy.

found 1 devices
Device at /net/reactivated/Fprint/Device/0
Using device /net/reactivated/Fprint/Device/0
User dominik has no fingers enrolled for Synaptics Sensors.

However when trying to enroll the fingerprint using: fprintd-verify I received less optimistic message:

ListEnrolledFingers failed: Failed to discover prints

Also trying to run: fprintd-enroll I got:

Enrolling right-index-finger finger.
Enroll result: enroll-unknown-error

The syslog output is as follows:

Dec 18 21:00:08 dominik-thinkpad dbus-daemon[1002]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='net.reactivated.Fprint' unit='fprintd.service' requested by ':1.653' (uid=1000 pid=4121 comm="fprintd-enroll dominik " label="unconfined")
Dec 18 21:00:08 dominik-thinkpad systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Dec 18 21:00:08 dominik-thinkpad kernel: [  116.154761] usb 1-9: reset full-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
Dec 18 21:00:09 dominik-thinkpad dbus-daemon[1002]: [system] Successfully activated service 'net.reactivated.Fprint'
Dec 18 21:00:09 dominik-thinkpad systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Dec 18 21:00:09 dominik-thinkpad kernel: [  116.438812] usb 1-9: reset full-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
Dec 18 21:00:09 dominik-thinkpad fprintd[4122]: Device reported an error during enroll: Enrollment failed (104)

MarkRHPearson do you remember what was the latest fprintd version you were successfull with? I have a feeling the solution is pretty close :)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms