Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

190 Posts

08-23-2012

United States of America

400 Signins

2801 Page Views

• Views: 2801
  • Message 1 of 16

How to clone my X1C hard drive via Ubuntu

2012-09-24, 21:11 PM
My i5/8gb/256mb X1 Carbon arrives this week, and I'm going to try to clone its hard drive before I do anything to it.

I first saw this mentioned in the thread below, and it seems like a GREAT idea because I'm sure at some point I will try to upgrade the drive.  Plus I value being able to recover quickly from problems.

I used to mess with UNIX eons ago, but I'm only mildly geeky now.  (I became a manager which includes certain tasks that have been known to cause brain cell decay...)  The last technical thing I did was install Apache, php, mySQL and debug some CSS for a charity group several years back.   So I have no Ubuntu experience but my IQ is above room temperature :-). 

Zackiv31 or other experts, could you please confirm or correct the following:

My guess at big picture steps:  
1) Create the Ubuntu on a USB stick as per instructions below
2) Plug in a blank (totally blank?) external USB drive with enough space to hold the drive image (> 20GB from the thread I belive)
3) Boot from the USB stick  (by checking that option in the Thinkpad BIOS)

4) then, Execute the command:

sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/media/MYEXTERNALDRIVE/x1c.img

--------------  Where I saw community member zackiv31 mention this

sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/media/MYEXTERNALDRIVE/x1c.img

It's called a "Live CD"... or in this case, a Bootable USB flash drive.  Basically it allows you to boot from a USB drive without touching the main drive.

---------------- Other help from Googling:

Create a backup

Say we have a harddisk /dev/sda that we want to backup entirely (sector-by-sector) to a USBvolume /dev/sdb1, mounted on /mnt/sdb1. We call this a dump or an image of /dev/sda. The dump shall be named backup.img. Here is the dd command:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/mnt/sdb1/backup.img

In this command, if stands for input file and of for output file.

Options

7444 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29456 Signins

1685983 Page Views

• Views: 1685983
  • Message 2 of 16

Re: How to clone my X1C hard drive via Ubuntu

2012-09-24, 21:18 PM

mareluce wrote:
I first saw this mentioned in the thread below, and it seems like a GREAT idea because I'm sure at some point I will try to upgrade the drive.  Plus I value being able to recover quickly from problems.

can't help on the linux clone issue, but keep in mind that the SSD in the X1C is a non-standard form-factor mSATA(?) drive. i've seen commentary that it's a drive format that isn't available outside of bulk purchase by OEMs. sure, that could change, but it'll never be as simple as other models in the Think product line.

regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

11 Posts

11-09-2008

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

25 Signins

250 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 250
  • Message 3 of 16

2012-09-24, 22:41 PM

Hi,

Not sure if this is helpful or you, I successfully used Clonezilla to clone the hard drive on my X1 carbon.

Check out http://clonezilla.org/ for more details.

Regards,

Mikael

Options

9558 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78250 Signins

2252535 Page Views

• Views: 2252535
  • Message 4 of 16

2012-09-25, 4:45 AM

(bone-headed thinko removed)

Is this exercise specifically to use Linux for the backup/clone job?  If you are just looking to pull a drive image, the easiest way is to just use Rescue and Recovery which should already be installed.  You can make a factory recovery media set - on exteral DVDs or HDD or big flash - or pull a back up at any time.

Z.

[edit] Removed my completely bogus description of sda, sdb.  Thanks to zackiv31 for the correction.  I know better, really...

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

8 Posts

09-20-2012

NYC

213 Signins

646 Page Views

• Views: 646
  • Message 5 of 16

2012-09-25, 22:42 PM

Yes I would go with what zoltanthegypsy says and use the built in utilities. Although the commands for backup/restore are one liners, the complications you could be in if you got into trouble or mistyped a command could be serious. The built in utilities should suffice for the type of backup you prefer. My recommendations in the other thread were for those who are a bit more technically inclined.

Also for clarification, /dev/sda is a physical device, meaning the entire SSD drive. All the partitions are numerically identified /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, etc... if you were ever going to backup an entire drive, bit for bit, it would be with the dd command as I outlined.

If anyone actually cares:

$ fdisk -u -l x1c_factory.img 

Disk x1c_factory.img: 128.0 GB, 128035676160 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 15566 cylinders, total 250069680 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x7e7c984f

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
x1c_factory.img1   *        2048     3074047     1536000    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
x1c_factory.img2         3074048   204617727   100771840    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
x1c_factory.img3       204617728   233289727    14336000    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
x1c_factory.img4       233289728   250066943     8388608   84  OS/2 hidden C: drive

Options

190 Posts

08-23-2012

United States of America

400 Signins

2801 Page Views

• Message 6 of 16

2012-09-26, 0:42 AM

What I want to be able to do:

Back up the original drive exactly as it is shipped to me so that I can:

1) (Debugging or sell scenario)

Restore to an identical drive 256GB SSD, exactly as the drive was shipped to me.

2) (Drive Upgrade scenario)

Restore to a different, larger drive, with the contents exactly as the original drive was shipped to me.

For example, when Lenovo or someone here figures out how to upgrade the SSD drive to 500GB or 1TB. (I do realize that's not possible now, but look at all the clever things that the hardware hackers here eventually figured out.)

Then, after I do all the time-consuming installs of needed software, but before I start using it day-to-day, I want to back up the drive and then:

3) (Drive Failure scenario) 

Restore to an identical drive 256GB SSD with all the time-consuming installs of needed software already done.

4) (Drive Upgrade Scenario) 

Restore to a different, larger drive, with all the time-consuming installs of needed software already done

What could I use for 1 - 4 ?

I don't care if I need to use 4 different pieces of software or if it takes a lot of time. I care about the result.

And I've already created the bootable USB drives - 2 of them!
1) Clonezilla
2) Ubuntu

I tested them on my "scratch" laptop, a rarely used T60, and they actually do boot!

BootableUSBs.jpg

If I had each of those 4 scenarios covered, it would have saved me a ton of time with earlier laptops.

PS:  Newegg just delivered my external CD/DVD/BD reader / writer, and mini-display port to VGA adapter for projecter use at grad school.     X1C arrives tomorrow!  I asked UPS person to please not be sick tomorrow :-).

Options

190 Posts

08-23-2012

United States of America

400 Signins

2801 Page Views

• Message 7 of 16

Foiled...

2012-09-27, 16:51 PM

Link to image

Since my X1C would not boot any of my bootable thumb drives, I went through the intial set up and made a Recovery and Restore USB drive using the Lenovo tool.    It won't boot that either though.   

So I decided to try to make a CD-ROM recovery drive instead of USB.  Saw an error message,

"You are only allowed to make 1 copy of your Rescue and Recovery disks." 

Moderator note: image (much) larger than 50k converted to link per fororum rules: Lenovo Community Participation Rules

Options

9558 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78250 Signins

2252535 Page Views

• Views: 2252535
  • Message 8 of 16

Re: Foiled...

2012-09-27, 19:16 PM

Is that USB R&R drive a flash drive or HDD?

[edit] I ask because if it's a flash drive, it may be fixable by setting the partition active.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

661 Posts

09-10-2012

DC Metro area

907 Signins

14979 Page Views

• Views: 14979
  • Message 9 of 16

2012-09-27, 19:36 PM

Try cloning the flash drive to a hdd.

Options

190 Posts

08-23-2012

United States of America

400 Signins

2801 Page Views

• Message 10 of 16

2012-09-28, 18:50 PM

>> Is that USB R&R drive a flash drive or HDD?

It's a 64GB SDXC card in a USB3 card reader.So I think it's flash

>> I ask because if it's a flash drive, it may be fixable by setting the partition active.

I'd do that with the Admin disk tools in Windows right?

>> Try cloning the flash drive to a hdd.

OK. I need to get an empty one. Good excuse to go to Frys this weekend.

So far I've spent ~ 10 hours trying to make sure I could recover OK.

Last night I used Acronis to create a bootable CD backup. It booted fine.  I tested it to the point of a "recover" to right before clicking enter. I don't have the courage to test it by actually doing a recover, which would be the true test.

It's so weird that the Lenovo software would let me CREATE the USB drive of the recovery partition on something but then not boot from it.  Or, maybe that part of the BIOS is not working for USB booting.  These same USB devices can boot on my other Thinkpads but not the X1C.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms