Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

9558 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78251 Signins

2252680 Page Views

• Views: 2252680
  • Message 11 of 16

Re: Foiled...

2012-09-28, 18:57 PM

I don't think Win disk management will let you set an external flash drive paritition active.  You can do this with diskpart - use the search box in the start menu, or launch from a command prompt.

Here's a snip that I keep posting hoping it will eventually help someone...:

New or used USB memory keys or USB flash drives require an active partition created from within Wind...

NOTE: if you follow all the steps in that article it WILL ERASE YOUR FLASH DRIVE.

You can use a subset of those commands to set the partition active after the fact without disturbing its contents: list disk, select disk, select partition, active.  DO NOT clean or format.

If the flash drive wasn't formatted correctly, this won't help, but maybe setting that active flag will get it working.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

190 Posts

08-23-2012

United States of America

400 Signins

2801 Page Views

• Views: 2801
  • Message 12 of 16

2012-09-29, 4:17 AM

zoltan, that didn't work.

The USB did seem to take setting the partition as active though.   But it still booted directly off the hard drive.

Maybe if I call Lenovo they will send me the CDROMs?  so I will stop worrying about it.

Options

7444 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29458 Signins

1685998 Page Views

• Views: 1685998
  • Message 13 of 16

2012-09-29, 19:16 PM

@mareluce...

definitely get the factory recovery dvd set.

1st two things i do on *any* new ThinkPad:

1) make the recovery dvd set from within Windows. i don't make it on an ext hdd or usb flash drive.

2) call Service and request the factory set. i've never been refused or charged for them. ymmv.

cheers.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

37 Posts

07-04-2012

United States of America

120 Signins

1094 Page Views

• Views: 1094
  • Message 14 of 16

Re: How to clone my X1C hard drive via Ubuntu

2012-09-29, 19:34 PM

wrote:
My i5/8gb/256mb X1 Carbon arrives this week, and I'm going to try to clone its hard drive before I do anything to it.

I first saw this mentioned in the thread below, and it seems like a GREAT idea because I'm sure at some point I will try to upgrade the drive.  Plus I value being able to recover quickly from problems.

sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/media/MYEXTERNALDRIVE/x1c.img

I used a variation of the above where the external disk was of the same size as the internal one, and I was using of=/dev/sdc - that way if the internal disk was completely destroyed I could just plug in the other one and I would be good to go! With my above method you also need e few more flags to improve performance - you want to read in blocks of at least 64-256k and you want to write with the async flag so as to double your speed!

That being said the above method is optimal if you have almost identical HDDs and you have the option to change the one inside the notebook - something that helped me in at least one occasion, but not something very likely with the small internal mSata drive from the X1C.

One (open-source) option is of course to use PARTIMAGE - which should provide more options! There is also a program called FSArchiver - but I never used that one.

Options

190 Posts

08-23-2012

United States of America

400 Signins

2801 Page Views

• Views: 2801
  • Message 15 of 16

2012-09-30, 1:51 AM

Last thing I decided to try in BIOS: removed the SSD (HD0) from the boot sequence to see if that would force a boot from the USB.

It did not. A funky Lenovo diagnostics screen came up where I was able to test all 8gb of the memory and the SSD.

re: Sarbin

I will definitely do that then re: call Lenovo and ask for the factory restore DVDs.

re: Caranfil

Thank you - I might give Partimage a try, but if it requires booting off a USB that won't work.

Options

37 Posts

07-04-2012

United States of America

120 Signins

1094 Page Views

• Views: 1094
  • Message 16 of 16

2012-09-30, 5:53 AM

wrote:

Last thing I decided to try in BIOS: removed the SSD (HD0) from the boot sequence to see if that would force a boot from the USB.

It did not. A funky Lenovo diagnostics screen came up where I was able to test all 8gb of the memory and the SSD.

re: Sarbin

I will definitely do that then re: call Lenovo and ask for the factory restore DVDs.

re: Caranfil

Thank you - I might give Partimage a try, but if it requires booting off a USB that won't work.

If you are using F12 on boot to select the boot device and it does not boot from that device it is most likely that de USB memory stick is not properly prepared or it might be something BIOS-specific to those Thinkpad models - you probably need to test that USB stick on another computer first. There are also a number of known problems with certain BIOS versions in certain computers - some older Dell models were only booting from some Linux USB sticks if the order was set in BIOS and NOT after changing the temporary order with F12, and certain RAID BIOS models lock with GRUB (but in both cases you would get something written on the screen from GRUB).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms