05-22-2017

US

110 Signins

456 Page Views

• Views: 456
  • Message 71 of 90

Re: Install linux in Lenovo Yoga 720?

2017-11-26, 3:13 AM

How to get the touchpad working on Arch. (Probably works on other oses as well)

Install build deps

(base-devel) and linux-headers.

Get your kernel version with uname -r

4.13.12-1-ARCH

Wget your kernel using your version

wget https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.13.12.tar.xz

Untar it

tar -xvJf linux-4.13.12.tar.xz

Edit this file:

drivers/mfd/intel-lpss-pci.c

Add this line towards the bottom where the similar looking statements are:

{ PCI_VDEVICE(INTEL, 0xa162), (kernel_ulong_t)&spt_i2c_info },

At the kernel source root run

make mrproper

Then run 

cp /usr/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/.config ./
cp /usr/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/Module.symvers ./
make oldconfig
 make prepare && make scripts

Run

make M=drivers/mfd/

Gzip it

gzip drivers/mfd/intel-lpss-pci.ko

Run modprobe -r intel-lpss-pci

You should be able to use it now.

Run insmod drivers/mfd/intel-lpss-pci.ko.gz

Your touchpad should start working without a reboot.

Now to install it run

cp -f  drivers/mfd/intel-lpss-pci.ko.gz /usr/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/mfd

I copied this out fast as I was doing it. I have to do this every time my kernel updates. Origional instructions taken from here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Compile_kernel_module

Also, you can install Linux with uefi and it boots a lot faster if you keep it on. This is the safest way. Keep your old Windows uefi partition in place and make a new one. You can choose which uefi parition you boot into in the bios. Also, Grub's os dection will make a menu entry that will just hand off to the Windows uefi parition and you won't have to mess with any of your Windows data. Just enable grub's auto detection module if its not already.

Options

3 Posts

11-25-2017

IT

5 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 72 of 90

2017-11-27, 19:49 PM

Hi to All

I would just a clarification on this post.

If I well understood the situation is this

1- On Yoga 720 13" following the instruction on this post it's possible to install Linux and it works well;

2- On Yoga 720 15" it's possible install Linux (following the same procedure as per Yoga 720 13") but there is a problem with the trackpad. To solve it it's necessary to recompile the Kernel;

Could someone confirm my understanding?

Thanks

Options

1 Posts

11-30-2017

US

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 73 of 90

2017-11-30, 2:45 AM

I just got the trackpad working on my 15 inch yoga 720. I'm not totally sure that others will want to follow in my footsteps, but I figured I would share my experience anyway.

I got Fedora 27 to install following the installation steps in this thread. As an aside, I have installed a lot of distros on a number of machines, and this was the only time that I ever felt like I was in danger of bricking the machine. Even now, I have no idea how to access the BIOS, and that worries me.

Once I was all set with Fedora 27, I had a working installation with, you guessed it, no trackpad. The touchscreen worked perfectly though, so I could fumble through some of the suggestions in this thread. I tried working through updating the kernel module, but couldn't completely make sense of Fedora's instructions. I went for a full kernel installation, but something went wrong with that as well. What I noticed though, was that in the most recent kernel that I pulled from github, line 242 of intel-lpss-pci.c already updated. I thought that if I went with a distro that was using 4.15, then there was a good shot that everything would work. I did a system upgrade from Fedora 27 to Fedora Rawhide, and sure enough, the trackpad works on reboot.

So, on the plus side, I have a working trackpad. On the maybe-not-a-plus side, I have an otherwise potentially unstable system. For what it's worth though, there is at least one distro that yields a working trackpad out of the box. I'm guessing that, given time, this should trickle down to stable releases.

Options

8 Posts

12-03-2017

ES

7 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 74 of 90

2017-12-13, 22:35 PM

I have a Yoga 15" 4k running with Kubuntu 17.10. The trackpad started working with an upgrade from 17.04 to 17.10. 

I didn't have much luck with dual boot and I finally ended up wiping the drive of windows and doing the complete Kubuntu install including formatting the drive.

The only real problem I'm experiencing is that I can't switch the battery from the extended life mode to standard mode. I've tried the y2p-pm stuff (https://gitlab.com/mikoff/Y2P-PM) but it doesn't seem to work. I'd guess that the 720 uses different registers.

Options

1 Posts

12-20-2017

US

2 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 75 of 90

Re: flashing cursor on Ubuntu and Mint

2017-12-20, 22:32 PM

I just followed the instructor above, like turning off fast boot and switch to achi, but I have diffuclty in booting from the flash driver. Mine is a 4k 15 with 1050.

I tried burning Ubuntu 17 and Mint 18.2 to flash driver by rufus, however, I can only see a flashing cursor after the grub menu. It's common issue by Nvidia card. Then I tried nosetmode or turn off the Nv card in bios, but neither of them worked. I just wonder if anyone could give me some advise on this.

Options

4 Posts

01-25-2018

US

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 76 of 90

2018-01-25, 15:31 PM

From my research, the driver issue with the touchpad has been fixed in the Linux Kernel 4.14.  I have not tested this myself but I plan to later today and will update this forum accordingly.  The problem is, many distros (including ubuntu, which runs 4.13) still don't run kernel 4.14.  I have found it difficult to find what kernel versions are being used with various distros, however, I have found that both Arch and Manjaro are running at least 4.14.  I plan on live booting into Manjaro to see if it works.  If you want to run distros like ubuntu, you need to manually fix the bug and recompile the Linux kernel.  From my research, it appears the fix isn't too hard, but you need to have some experience compiling custom kernels. 

link to details on bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1700657

Additionally, look up how to compile a custom kernel.  Once this fix has been applied, and the kernel compiled, in theory the distros with older kernels should have the touchpad working as well.

Options

4 Posts

02-02-2018

US

2 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 77 of 90

2018-02-02, 2:28 AM

Hello I have a Lenovo yoga 720 -151 kb

I was having a black screen problem and I fixed it by

1.) Go to Bios by pressing f2 when starting up.

2.) under boot choose boot priority legacy first and under boot mode just legacy support.

under this tab alspo enable usb boot if you are using a usb

3.) go to configuration tab and enable usb legacy and turn

Sata controller mode to AHCI

When i did all this I was able to finally get ubuntu 16.04 on my Lenovo Yoga 720.

Options

4 Posts

02-02-2018

US

2 Signins

29 Page Views

• Message 78 of 90

2018-02-02, 2:30 AM
Hello I have a Lenovo yoga 720 -151 kb

I was having a black screen problem and I fixed it by

1.) Go to Bios by pressing f2 when starting up.

2.) under boot choose boot priority legacy first and under boot mode just legacy support.

under this tab alspo enable usb boot if you are using a usb

3.) go to configuration tab and enable usb legacy and turn

Sata controller mode to AHCI

When i did all this I was able to finally get ubuntu 16.04 on my Lenovo Yoga 720.

I booted it from a usb that had linux ubuntu on it.
Options

4 Posts

02-02-2018

US

2 Signins

29 Page Views

• Message 79 of 90

2018-02-02, 2:31 AM
I was able to get this working with ubuntu with your help. All i had to do was turn it to ahci mode and then turn it to legacy.

Thank you
Options

4 Posts

01-25-2018

US

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 80 of 90

2018-02-02, 2:32 AM

Do you still have the touchpad driver issues that some other users were talking about?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete