cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
B0D_Mr4ZU
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,446
Message 1 of 8

Installing Fedora 17 on U310 i7 (power button, wifi, noise problem)

Hello everybody,

I have bought IdeaPad U310 i7 edition and it came with Windows 7 home edition (in fakeRAID and iRST) but i wanted to install Fedora 17 (next time CentOS 6.3 probably) (and virtualized Win7/8 on it)
1. So I turned windows off properly (no sleep, no hibernate), changed the sata controller to AHCI and turn off the iRST. (so there won't be any problem with access to BIOS next time)
2. I used external dvd to install fedora 17, during instalation, I realized, that U310 is not a BIOS computer, but newer EFI (or support UEFI booting). The main diference (for the OS) was in hdd tables ( BIOS pcs uses old MBR table format and EFI uses GTP format). The preinstalled windows mas in old BIOS mode with MBR disk tables, so for installing Fedora 17 I needed to rebuild these tables to GTP (I did so with gdisk command during instalation). Whan this was done, I installed root, swap and home to ssd and hdd used just for data. Everything went better than expacted, all system was booted in arround 20 seconds, just awesome, but porbelms:

Wifi: i have intel 2230 bgn adapter, and it is not supported.. (can by solved by finding and installing linux driver probably..)

Noise(cpu fan): (when on windows, there were no problem, on battery just pasive cooling, on AC active but continual) with new linux install, cpu fan come up very supprisingly with high pitch and it's not continual. When on battery the thing is same.

Power button: It keeps blinking whether computer is on or sleeps or on AC... It's really annoyng...

What should I do? Has anyone problems like mine are?

(flashing BIOS, can it help?)

Thank you very much.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,433
Message 2 of 8

Re: Installing Fedora 17 on U310 i7 (power button, wifi, noise problem)

The problem is that all the problems that you are facing are related to installing various drivers/software. But the problem is that the required softwares are not supported by fedora 17. So my suggestion is to revert back to windows or else you will have to stay with this condition.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
B0D_Mr4ZU
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,427
Message 3 of 8

Yes, I did. I have installed windows 8 (officially) and i used most of the drivers for windows. But the problem remained.
Next step I am going to do, is flashing bios.. that's probably the only thing I can do now.. (I found how to do it there:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/U310-can-no-longer-access-bios/td-p/896225 )

or.. Is there any way to restore whole system to the original factory state? (I have found something about recovery discs, but I can't find those)

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,424
Message 4 of 8

I dont recovery would work after installing new os. Maybe. Till then try this to see if it works.
Shut down laptop and backup c drive before shutting down. Now press the small button with a arrow on the either sides of the laptop to power on. You will then see some novo button nenu and thats it.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
B0D_Mr4ZU
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,369
Message 5 of 8

I didn't mean one key recovery (that button thing) because, I formated all hard drives, so there is no recovery partition there.
I ment official instalation discs (optical for example) that factory uses to instal bios and systems to the computer firstly

The one key recovery is not working anymore, because it has no partitions to recovery or do anything (now it just give mi options to enter BIOS settings and boot menu, so it's useful this way Smiley Very Happy )

I want to flash BIOS (UEFI in U310 case) but the flasher (65cn13ww.exe) after extracting (with winrar) and running bios.bat it started instalation (backing up my old BIOS and proceeed to flashing the new) but there was an error. The BIOS file is invalid (65CN13WW.whp). I can see why, the installer didn't take this type of BIOS files.
So now, the problem is, I can't flash my BIOS and I don't know why. Can you help me with this?
I'll be very glad Smiley Happy
Highlighted
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,352
Message 6 of 8

Which is your current version? Check from bios or msinfo32
B0D_Mr4ZU
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,332
Message 7 of 8

my version is newer 65CN15WW (and computer is starting in UEFI mode) there's win8 installed

I will install win7 and then I'll tray to flash it

If will this fail, I will rebuild disks to old MBR, install win7 (in BIOS mode), flash BIOS.

or what you suggest?
B0D_Mr4ZU
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,313
Message 8 of 8

SOLVED:
so.. I really didn't understand how.. but, I slovet my problem.
  firstly I installed windows 7 to flash the BIOS I flashed it (http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/how-can-I-get-my-money-back/td-p/920647). So now there is bios from U410 installed on my U310 (version 15). (I like this better, because upper keys functions as F1 F2 F3... and with Fn + F1... they have functions(volume...) U310 bios had it swapped)

secondly I installed Fedora 17 (UEFI mode, GPT disk tables)
  thirtly I needed to install wireless adapter firmwares (yum install iwl105-firmware.noarch iwl135-firmware.noarch iwl2000-firmware.noarch iwl2030-firmware.noarch) I installed all of them. AND voila, SOLVED... I don't know how, but button is acting as supposed, fan is cooling continually and my wifi is working also.

IMO: EFI and OS are more connected than in BIOS, so badly installed firmwares/drivers can cause even hardware problems.

Thank you all, for help.

(And Fedora 17 has more battery life, than win8)

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors