06-29-2013

USA

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 1 of 3

Installing on K410

2013-06-29, 15:42 PM

I feel like I'm losing my mind I've never had this much problems installing Linux on anything. I have a fresh HD that I'm installing on. I'm installing Debian, but have also tried Mint with no luck. It will go through the install ok. But when I reboot it says no operating system found. I have turned off securer boot, and even selected legacy boot in the bios. I have tried booting and reinstalling with several different bois  configurations.

If anyone can point me in the direction of what to do next it would be appreciated

Thanks

Options

2 Posts

09-01-2014

Burlington, VT USA

20 Signins

206 Page Views

• Views: 206
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Installing on K410

2014-09-01, 17:21 PM
robbyb2, it has been a while since you posted. Were you successful installing any distro of Linux on your K410? Were there any specific approaches that you would suggest? I am considering the purchase of a K450 (Windows 8 preload with a hybrid HDD/SSD) and would like ton install Kubuntu and run dual boot.

Does the K series provide any way to reinstall the factory image if issues occur with a dual boot install.
Options

8 Posts

02-06-2017

United States of America

6 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Installing on K410

2017-02-06, 4:37 AM

I know this is an old question, but it came up on the first page of search results so I wanted to help someone else.

Lenovo has configured their UEFI boot manager to only boot Windows on some IdeaCenters and probably other machines as well.

Here is another thread for this same problem.

The only way around this is to "trick" the UEFI into booting Windows.

I got most of this information from this Ubuntu thread.

These instructions worked for me for Debian.

First, install your Linux distro.

When it finishes, reboot, then re-run the installer in "rescue" mode (under "Advanced" or "Expert").

Set your root to the normal root environment (usually /dev/sda2) and execute a shell in /dev/sda2.  If you run the shell in the installer environment, you won't have access to the efibootmgr program.

Allow the installer to auto-mount the EFI partition; it will mount it in /boot/efi

Follow these instructions:

### in case you're a n00b, don't type stuff after the # sign; these are my comments

### make a Microsoft/Boot folder in the EFI partition and copy Grub's file there
cd /boot/efi/EFI mkdir Microsoft mkdir Microsoft/Boot cp /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi ### add boot entry to EFI efibootmgr -c -L "Windows Boot Manager" -l "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi"
### it is ESSENTIAL that you type it in *quotation marks*, or the backslashes will not work.

This creates the \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi file that Lenovo's EFI is looking for and adds it to the EFI boot list.  What we are actually doing is copying the grubx64.efi file to the Windows folder, which is the only place Lenovo looks for it.

Best of luck,

-Wes

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms