Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
szabiakanich
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,630
Message 1 of 8

Issues with ubuntu 7.10 and Z61m

Tried installing Ubuntu 7.10 on my Z61m (9450HAG) and I think it hates my graphics adapter because there was some error right at the beginning of the installation...and it didn't want to install. I'm waiting for the new 8.04 version and hope that that's gonna run on it. I want to dual boot ubuntu and windows.

Anybody had any experience with z61m and ubuntu? I also tried to search in thinkwiki but I couldn't find anything on it. It says "the graphics card should work right out of the box"...Well it didn't.

Szabi
Former Employee
Views: 4,623
Message 2 of 8

Re: Issues with ubuntu 7.10 and Z61m

This article on thinkwiki should be helpful.

To get hardware acceleration and a resolution >1024x768, you need to install ATI's fglrx driver.

1. Install the fglrx driver:

$ sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx

2. Update loaded modules:

$ sudo depmod -a

3. Now configure the fglrx driver:

$ sudo aticonfig --initial

$ sudo aticonfig --overlay-type=Xv

4. After restarting your system (or alternatively doing CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE to restart the X Server) your system will be running the fglrx drivers.

szabiakanich
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,611
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the reply. Yes. That probably works AFTER the installation, but I can't even get the installation running, because at one point I have some lines on the display and it tries out different settings/resolutions I guess, but none of them work for whatever reason.

Szabi
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 4,608
Message 4 of 8

Try booting into Safe Video Mode and then install the driver.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Former Employee
Views: 4,594
Message 5 of 8

So, you were NOT able to install Ubuntu at all? What error did the installer Yield?

A good alternative might be to dowload the Server version (comes without GUI by default) and then installing all the graphical packages (X, gnome and/or KDE, drivers). I would only encourage this if you feel somewhat comfortable with the command line and if the end-user installation completely fails.

Best regards,
szabiakanich
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,555
Message 6 of 8

Bit of an update. I tried to install 7.04 in normal mode AND safe mode. Didn't do anything, just froze during installaton and didn't give ANY error message.

Then tried 7.10 in normal mode AND safe mode as well. I got an error message that the graphics adapter had to be shut down 6 times in the past 90 seconds and that it's gonna retry in 2 minutes, so I sat there and waited, but to no avail, it didn't do anything. Had to turn the laptop off again.

8.04 beta worked right out of the box. I logged in, installed it and installed the fglrx driver and it works wonderfully. That is, it still needs lots of tweaking for some things to work, but it IS working. For example, I connected an external HDD via USB and it couldn't mount it. Good thing that my brother knows a lot more about ubuntu/linux in general (I'm a noob, this is my first ubuntu experience) and he fixed the problem. There was some problem with video playback as well. There were jagged edges all over the place while playing videos and the videos were sloppy too, but a bit of tweaking using the terminal took care of that.

Other than that everything seems to be working. Sound works, videos work, I can access my Windows partitions as well. So yeah I'm getting used to it. Smiley Happy

When the final release of 8.04 comes out in 3 weeks I'm gonna update to that and use ubuntu for a while and see if I can do without windows. Smiley Happy

Thanks again for all the help.

Message Edited by szabiakanich on 04-01-2008 11:14 PM
Former Employee
Views: 4,530
Message 7 of 8

szabiakanich, glad it finally worked out... somehow.

I haven't yet tested 8.04, how is it working for you?

Regards,
szabiakanich
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,512
Message 8 of 8

It was working fine just until 2 days ago when they released some updates and naturally I updated it and something appearantly went wrong with the updates (or at least the combination of my laptop and the updates) because it got buggy as hell... Smiley Sad Firefox closes randomly and is slooooow (especially when there's pictures and you scroll) and some other things that are weird (like Skype, Pidgin and Audcious not appearing in the top panel, although I checked and made sure that the option is enabled), so I'm not sure. Probably going to wait until the final release in 20 days and then install that instead of the beta.

Other than that it's been working great, but I can't compare to previous versions, because I couldn't get any of the previous releases to work...It's also my first Ubuntu/Linux experience, but I definitely plan on using it a lot and try to fix thing and get everything to work and use it fulltime.

Szabi

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors