cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexis19apl1
Not applicable
Views: 4,349
Message 1 of 5

Legion Y520 Freeze when try to shutdown or restart after fresh installation of Linux OS

Hi everyone, hope anyone can share his/her knowledge and time to help;

After the installation of "Linux Mint 19" Mate Graphic environment, System freeze when "Shutdown" or "Restart".

Hardware
Have a "Lenovo Y520", with a Samsung 970 PCIe NVME SSD, Nvidia 1050 4gb, i5 770HQ.

With both "Bios Configurations" happens the same

Bios Config 1:
Sata Controller Mode - AHCI
Secure Boot - DISABLE
Boot Mode - Legacy
Fast Boot - DISABLE

Bios Config 2
Sata Controller Mode - AHCI
Secure Boot - DISABLE
Boot Mode - UEFI
Fast Boot - DISABLE

Allways Hang/Freeze when try to "Reboot" o "ShutDown under Linux Mint 19 or Ubuntu 18.0.4.1 LTS.

What can I do to keep my Linux working properly?

CyberSimian
Not applicable
Views: 4,288
Message 2 of 5

Re: Legion Y520 Hang when restart Linux OS

@alexis19apl1 wrote:

bios settings:

FAST BOOT - DISABLE

Don't confuse the BIOS "Fast Boot" setting with the Windows "Fast Start" setting.

If you have a dual-boot system (Windows 10 plus another OS), the recommendation is to disable Windows "Fast Start" setting, as this can in certain circumstances result in corrupted file systems (because "Fast Start" is actually hibernation by another name). 

But as far as I know, it is quite safe to enable the BIOS "Fast Boot" setting.  All it does is bypass some of the hardware checks that the BIOS would normally perform on power-up.  Certainly, I have "Fast Boot" enabled on my 500-15ISK, and it runs Suse Leap 42.3 without any problems.

I would suggest enabling "Fast Boot" in the BIOS.  I don't think  that it will affect your problem, but it might.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

alexis19apl1
Not applicable
Views: 4,275
Message 3 of 5

Re: Legion Y520 Hang when restart Linux OS

Hi good morning, tks for you're time;

I was checking the "Bios Settings" and was not enable "Fast Boot" that's is under "Boot" Section. See images Below:

BOOT.jpgCONFIGURATION.jpgINFORMATION.jpg

alexis19apl1
Not applicable
Views: 4,236
Message 4 of 5

Lenovo Y520 with Bios "Graphic Device" as "Discrete" Freeze after fresh installation Mint 19

Hi Guys;

After a huge number of test and frustration found that "Graphic config" was and still is the cause of this freezing, decided to change everything on Bios and one thing was "Discrete" to "UMA" that I never used before in my life, this is what happens:

• OS stop freezing
    OS now detects intel Graphics card.

So maybe there to possible root causes for the fail:

• Bios setting "Discrete" create sort of Intel/Nvidia switchable usage based on system demand, that is not tuned for Linux.
    Nvidia graphics have heavy issues with Linux and that makes the unstable graphical environment and that's why freeze.

Based on this, what options do I have?
Please someone help, this pc is used as my main workstation, to work, study, make labs, so all power horses are needed to virtualized environments.

Highlighted
AlArgente
Not applicable
Views: 3,558
Message 5 of 5

Re: Lenovo Y520 with Bios "Graphic Device" as "Discrete" Freeze after fresh inst

I just installed Ubuntu 18.04 on my Lenovo Legion Y520 after tons of tries, and what I had to do was:

- Install Ubuntu putting the Graphic Mode on UMA

- Once is installed I can restart the system and put Graphic Mode to Discrete

- Then before logging enter to command line interface

- Then follow the next steps:

- sudo apt install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop

- sudo apt install gnome

- sudo apt purge nvidia*

- sudo apt update

- sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

- sudo apt full-upgrade

- reboot

After installing vga drivers it will ask you for a pass that you'll have to use later when rebooting, so

just enter it where it says and then it will be ok, and you will enter to Ubuntu and it will recognise your

1050 and it wont freeze!!

Hope this helps you!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors