Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MountainX
Not applicable
Views: 355
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Ethernet dongles stop working after recent Linux updates

I have been running Arch Linux on several ThinkPads for a number of years. I recently ran standard system updates on two of my ThinkPads: 6th gen X1 Carbon, and Yoga 370.

Both use the Lenovo Ethernet dongle and both had working Ethernet until I ran the system updates. Now both Lenovo Ethernet dongles do not function correctly and will not connect to the network.

Generic USB-Ethernet adapters continue to work, but Lenovo ethernet dongles do not work after recent Linux updates.

I believe this is related to changes within the last 2-3 weeks. Arch Linux packages are often newer than packages on other distros. We may begin to see this affect more people over the coming months.

So far I have already seen similar posts pop up, including for Ubuntu. For example, here is one I replied to today:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Ubuntu/lenovo-x1-carbon-5th-gen-Ethernet-interface-on-Kubuntu-18-04/m-p...

I have not seen a solution proposed yet.

EDIT:

The Lenovo Ethernet dongle does not work on :

kernel 5.3.1-arch1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 21 11:33:49 UTC 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

However, it does work on:

kernel 4.19.75-1-lts #1 SMP Sun Sep 22 21:23:17 CEST 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

(That's the LTS kernel, as the version indicates)

On the X1C6:
Kernel driver in use: e1000e

zoltanthegypsy
Not applicable
Views: 270
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Ethernet dongles stop working after recent Linux updates

Hi,

I'm just a (very) casual observer here - but to my understanding those dongles are passive.  I take this to mean that it's the laptop's NIC chips that aren't working. i219v on my 370 for one.  Surprising.

regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

joerg-
Not applicable
Views: 114
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Ethernet dongles stop working after recent Linux updates

Hallo,

I have the same problem with my Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd gen), which also has this

Ethernet extension cable ("dongle"):

Absolutely no problems with

4.19.79-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 11 19:57:09 UTC 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

5.2.21-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Oct 12 11:09:56 UTC 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux,

but with the new

5.3.6-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Oct 12 09:30:05 UTC 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

the Ethernet connection (enp0s31f6 with driver e1000e (via dongle)) is rather unstable.

Sometimes it works for a while, but often it's lost immediately after being established.

The problem occured with an older BIOS, but also with the latest 3.16.

I find hardly any posts concerning this problems, and I wonder who should be told about it.

Any ideas (or solutions)?

Kind regards,

Jörg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors